Nottm. adverts : are any of these still trading?

i worked in the offices which replaced skinner and rook called Alan House

no idea who alan was?

I don't know who he was, but if that was Alan House on Clumber Street it was at one time the offices of British Railways Nottingham divisional manager (for many year R D Gardner). That was before he and his organisation moved to the new purpose built Furlong House, built on the site of the old Nottingham engine sheds. The telephone number comes swimming back from the murky depths - Nottingham 48531 (not to be confused with the Midland station which was 85251 - and my dad was on extension 23).

Can anyone confirm that Skinner and Rook had a bottling plant at the top of Great Freeman St, junction with Huntingdon St? I remember Skinner and Rook being shown as "Bottlers" on the label of a Guiness bottle. Were these one and the same?

I

I'm going to bump an old topic of mine, because it's relevant to this thread and some people may not have seen it before. Again, you can play at spotting who is still trading.

http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8228&hl=1969

I'll BUMP it separately (if you don't mind ), as I will post similar cinema and (great ) entertainments from the Evening Post January 1966 when I upload them shortly .

re lyms rolls its still in the bath st window along with the old hand cart they had when they first started up.

And do you know what? Good luck to them, they got into a business that was never going to fail, there's nothing so certain as death!!!

• Upvote 1

now such a big bussiness concidering they started with just the hand cartnow have branches in most parts of nottingham know they in carlton ,arnold ,clifton bullwell,aspley.hucknall ect.

These adverts from the Nottingham Evening Post January 1966 . First one is County Sales , whose adverts were great but when I went there never actually found anything worth buying , though come to think of it we may have got our first "Continental Quilt" from there .

Re my bit above about the advert from County Sales , my wife says I was wrong (as usual )......Our first quilt was from Brentford Nylons , another name long gone .

Not just your nails, any rough skin got snagged on the darn sheets. The brushed nylon ones, anyway. the smooth nylon ones were as slippery as hell!

One of my great aunts used to work somewhere in Nottm that made, Bri-nylon bedding. Bloody horrible stuff !

They also made womens undergarments and pyjamas and things, she was always buying the seconds to give to family and friends etc.

When she died, mum inherited suitcases full off the stuff, and when mum died I put the lot in a skip we hired to clean out the old house, yes she still had heaps of the things all brand new never worn or used in the case of bed linen.

One of my great aunts used to work somewhere in Nottm that made, Bri-nylon bedding. Bloody horrible stuff !

They also made womens undergarments and pyjamas and things, she was always buying the seconds to give to family and friends etc.

When she died, mum inherited suitcases full off the stuff, and when mum died I put the lot in a skip we hired to clean out the old house, yes she still had heaps of the things all brand new never worn or used in the case of bed linen.

Sounds just like my wifes Grandma . She worked into her 90s at a factory , that I think was called Mills on Stoney Street . They made underwear , slips and night dresses etc and everytime we visited her , she had a bagful of the seconds to give out .

Sounds just like my wifes Grandma . She worked into her 90s at a factory , that I think was called Mills on Stoney Street . They made underwear , slips and night dresses etc and everytime we visited her , she had a bagful of the seconds to give out .

My Ex Wife's aunt owned that factory ! P R Mills, now flats I believe.

My Ex Wife's aunt owned that factory ! P R Mills, now flats I believe.

Never met her but the owner used to drop material off at grandmas house for her to work on at home , if they had a rush job on .

• 2 weeks later...

I remember if you turned of the light and wafted the sheet it would light up with all the static electricity the nylon sheets generated

Skinner and Rook disappeared in - I think - the 1950s

Don't think Redgate still exist - in fact I can't think of any "Pop men" who are still operating

Midland Red don't exist any more. Buses and Coaches have been regulated, deregulated, nationalised, privatised and I think they are now part of "National" like verything else

Lymn's probably haven't got that old Roller, but they still have stretched Rollers

I worked for Coca Cola and in about 1965 I remember having to pick up empties from Skinner and Rook at their Eastwood depot!