Junction of Ollerton (A614) and Mansfiled (A610) roads.

Long before modern road alterations I seem to remember a garage at the junction of the A614 & A610, just north of the Arch Bridge in Redhill. IS my memory playing tricks on me or was there a Transport Café there too?

Any photos of the junction or garage, Please?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Two lanes, 50 limit, and average speed cameras from Redhill all the way to Ollerton roundabout now Oz. Burntstump crosroad, another blackspot,t is now a Tee junction and an island at Longdale Lane tur

You are right Compo, there was a cafe along with the garage there. After that there was a Little Chef for some years. Those premises are now owned by an Indian restaurant called the Banyan Tree. There is still a petrol station there.

http://www.thebanyan.co.uk/

Perhaps you remember the original Ollerton Road heading north, a section of which still stands above the modern road?

\snip\

Perhaps you remember the original Ollerton Road heading north, a section of which still stands above the modern road?

Modern road? It was always a two lane carriageway with a middle overtaking lane on the straighter stretches when I was there. The photo is how I remember it.; although a roundabout was put in at the junction of the two roads.

No, the road you see in the old photo snaking off north is not now used. It is a few hundred yards long and has stood there parallel to the 'new' section of the Ollerton Road since when that was built.

Look here

Thanks for the gen gang - glad no-one pulled me up for saying A610 instead of A60!

I used to work at the little chef, I was one of the last people employed there before it shut down in february 2005. Loved the place, the only problem was you didnt know it was there untill you'd passed it. No wonder we never had very many people in.

I remember the junction Ashley. My pal land I used to go to the White Post (Robin Hood Café) on our bicycles in the evenings long before we had motorbikes and scooters. 24hr Café wasn't it?

I used to work at the little chef, I was one of the last people employed there before it shut down in february 2005. Loved the place, the only problem was you didnt know it was there untill you'd passed it. No wonder we never had very many people in.

I always thought that too Jimmy, it was a bit too tucked away with little notice it was there. Never sure how well its successor the Banyan Tree does, seems a slightly strange place for an Indian restaurant to me although they look to have spent quite a bit of money on it.

I read that the old junction was replaced by the huge roundabout in preparance for a new Redhill bypass road which would have potentially headed over the Bestwood Country Park (as it is called now) past the old Redhiil Farm on Bestwood Lodge Drive and coming out near Edwards Lane. This type of project has reared its head more than once over the years, with talk of a park and ride at Leapool.

The old bit of road heading north is a bit of a curio. It's quite strange to walk over there as you can still see remnants of the road markings still. It comes out opposite a fine looking home which stand on its own at the end of Lime Lane. Some years ago it it was still accessible by car (though blocked off at the roundabout end) and was used as a bit of a 'lover's lane (or so I'm told!). A long time ago some travellers landed there and since they were cleared off some huge concrete bollards appeared at the entrance to the road off Lime Lane.

Another point about the Leapool roundabout is that adjacent to the west side of it there are two ponds there just off it but not noticeable from the road. These were excavated as reservoirs for watering the local fields but one of them was stocked with trout and used by an angling club.

re the new island photo, take that's took from nr the banyan tree? or have I got it wrong? anyway coming from mansfield just before the new island theres also a section of that old road on the left (I think)

A swathe of land was left clear when Bestwood Estate was built.It was left for years but is now built on.It would have taken traffic from the Ring road up Edwards Lane...straight over and through the estate to link up with the above mentioned junction.This would have avoided the bottleneck at Daybrook,not a bad idea.Obviously not taken up because of the cost.

re the new island photo, take that's took from nr the banyan tree? or have I got it wrong? anyway coming from mansfield just before the new island theres also a section of that old road on the left (I think)

If you mean just past the Waterworks...I used to use it..that road used to cut through to the A614 and Lime lane.I think it was considered a dangerous junction and closed off years ago.

Sort of Ashley, the Banyan Tree would be over your right shoulder as the shot looks north up Ollerton Road.

The section of old road is on your left for the last few hundred yards as you come south down Ollerton Road to the roundabout.

This would have avoided the bottleneck at Daybrook,not a bad idea.Obviously not taken up because of the cost.

I think there were a lot of objections to building on green belt land too.

If you mean just past the Waterworks...I used to use it..that road used to cut through to the A614 and Lime lane.I think it was considered a dangerous junction and closed off years ago.

Long been farmland, lies opposite Lamin's Lane up to Bestwood.

I think I have mentioned before that I remember walking there as a kid - and seem to remember a spring on the east side of Mansfield Road. However, if you look at Google Earth, apart from the old bit of Ollerton Road, there is also a short section of paved road that goes directly east from the roundabout (just north of the Banyan Tree) and I can't figure out what it is, or was!

There is a little piece of paved road situated right at the bottom of the old bit of Ollerton Road which leads to some farm outbuildings, Eric. Might be that you are referring to?

I wonder which way you would walk over to Leapool as a lad? There is a very little used public footpath a few yards south of the garage which goes up the hill and meets the path between the end of Churchmoor Lane and the brick yard on Lime Lane. I think your spring is in there somewhere. There is also another path from the top of Arch Hill between the houses which meets those paths.

Re your post #8 Ashley, are you thinking of the crash when Bomber and his pillion died. It was at the junction a couple of miles or so south of the Robin Hood cafe. It was in '63 or '64, the front seat passenger in the car also died, and those at the scene said the driver was drunk. I remember he was fined £400 and banned for 4 years. BTW Bomber was running in, so would not have been speeding.

This was exactly the same sentence as one of the Aces got in the same month for speeding (admittedly at 100mph) along Bridgford Road.

Not sure Ace, wasn't there myself mick marriott was on about it, remember that snipe, one night "Popham" saw a 40mph coming up said "we'd better slow down" as doing 70, thing was we were in 30 zone of university blvd! used to go down palais with him and Lance, remember one time a girl in there on about taking out a breach of promise case against him , a right row!

Yes he was one for the ladies! I called him Popham as either his driving licence or insurance cert (I think the latter?) said such, remember a copper tried to do him, said it wasn't him or not valid, funny how odd things stick in your mind?

I worked with Brian for a couple of years,it wasn't unusual for him to take a gal to the Palais;and same night take another gal up to the White Post.

Ashley, what was the name of the cafe near Vernon rd' - Basford crossings? I'm blowed if Ican remember.