Junction of Ollerton (A614) and Mansfiled (A610) roads.

On Vernon Road? just after the crossings on the left on a bend going towards Bulwell? 2 small single storey buildings bashed into one? NO IDEA, but if those I rented them in 1990's for my "failed" plumbing business , wasn't brian a painter and decorater? and worked with his dad?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Two lanes, 50 limit, and average speed cameras from Redhill all the way to Ollerton roundabout now Oz. Burntstump crosroad, another blackspot,t is now a Tee junction and an island at Longdale Lane tur

I dont reca the Café name but I do recall that one evening during 1968 I was waiting for a bus just beyond the crossing and an American car came tazzing up from town and managed to hit a car that was pulling out from the bottom of Arnold Road in order to cross the level crossing. I gave my name as a witness to the rozzers because it looked like the Yankee car was in the right but in fact it had been travelling at about 60MPH-ish. Had it been travelling at the speed limit of 30MPH there would have been ample time for the other car to pull out and cross the level crossing safely.

Yes, he was a painter and decorator, Brian and I worked with a guy in Beeston,I don't where he worked before.

Thinking more about that cafe,it could have been at the bottom of Arnold road,I can only recall the cinema being in that area.

Up to last year 'Popham'was still around,spoke to my old 'gaffer',he mentioned he saw Brian occaisionaly

There was a café on Scotland Road between Valley Road and Nottingham Road in 1967. Can't remember exactly where but on the left as you go towards Nottm Rd; it sort of faced the cinema whose name I unremember just now (Futurist?). I used it one morning after missing my bus to work and everyone was putting "Kites" by Simon Dupree and the Big Sound on the jukebox - I hated that song after that morning.

there was a cafe on Southwark Street (continuation of Arnold Rd) single story building on the left going uphill just before bridge over the river leen, the one on Scotland Rd was like a tearoom gingham curtains and tablecloths (corner shop end of White Road)

The Vernon Road cafe was next door to the painting & decorating shop, we used to go in there whilst working on the building of Basford flats, for breakfast + play on the Flipper machines, a guy called Jack Browitt (sadly deceased now) would send us back tgo work & carry on plaiying the machines.................

The cafe I knew was the single storey "shop" to left of the bingo hall and tall tree, the shop (ex cafe) I rented was at end of long stone railway wall, has anyone else noticed the beatles walking across the railway! lol. It's an evens bet an old mate of mine was on duty in that box, worked mornings and afters , used to take his guitar and amp and practise between the by then rare coal trains that only used that line 1978

cafe i think was on vernon rd between scotland rd and the vernon pub carnt remember the name but my husband went in there the morning we got married 1972 hence he was late getting to basford registrars office his mum gave him and his brother hell.

My pal and I went to the Druids before my sister's wedding in Arnold St Mary's. We walked(ish) in at the back of the wedding train - Oops!

babs, Scotland Rd didn't actually join with Vernon Road but think I know that cafe, wasn't there that long but there was one in block of shops between sketchleys and vernon rd bleach works, mate of Pat Hutchinson (Lance) had a bike breakers shop couple of doors away for awhile, my bonnie finshed up in it!

think thats the one ash.

re bommer i dont rearly remember him that well myself my self but we have some early photoes of him in whitehart bikers bar piggy was ridding pillion on big mick that night and always says his accident was near the bliderth jucktion but he coud be wrong.

did not know that myself old ace but know when we go past this junction piggy always says eyup bombmer

If you mean just past the Waterworks...I used to use it..that road used to cut through to the A614 and Lime lane.I think it was considered a dangerous junction and closed off years ago.

'Little Lime Lane' apparently.

• 7 years later...

Had a look on Mr. Google's map. Where on earth is the junction of A614 and A610 supposed to be? They travel in opposite directions.

Thanks Phil., the question arose because I looked at the thread title. Was trying to get my bearings. The A614 goes past Ollerton, but not the A610. (Just me putting 2+2 and getting 5). 

Had a look on maps again including pictures. Now I know where you mean. B.

I had a problem with the title of the thread too

The A610 goes to Ambergate and is nowhere near the A614 which ends up at Bridlington. As soon as Pete Ford mentioned the Banyan Tree and Philmayfield mentioned the Little Chef I got my bearings straight away

• 2 months later...

There was a garage and a transport cafe at the junction of the A60 and A614. The garage was W.Hawker and Son and the transport cafe was run by a guy called Sid. An AA box stood in front of a group of trees right on the junction and the local AA man was Mr Harrison. You used to be able to still see the trees in the middle of the roundabout but I think they have gone now. The junction was indeed dangerous and I recall numerous accidents both there and further up the A624 where line lane crossed and went upon down to join the A60. The A614 itself was very dangerous due to its 3 lane arrangement without any priority markings.