Would anybody happen to know when the station buildings for Carlton Station were demolished? It must be before 1972 and i wonder if anybody has any other photo's of it besides this one. Looks like it used to be rather beautiful.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do remember the signal box at Carlton when it still operated gates back in the mid 70's (My Dad took me up there when he was on the railway at Nottingham) the buildings were demolished and there we

Nowt really to do with the thread , but one summer we used the Carlton side shelter as our 'gang hut' (There was all of three of us!) With the blessing of the signal man. We fixed the catch on the doo

When I worked at Raywarp on Alfred St North in the early 60s. We didn't smoke at our machines; but just used to pop to the toilets for a crafty drag (Smoke) every so often. We had a large cutting tab

Netherfield was opened in 1878 under the name of Colwick, renamed in 1883 to Netherfield and Colwick, renamed again in 1901 as Netherfield, renamed AGAIN in 1925 as Netherfield and Colwick again and then renamed a final time in 1974 to Netherfield. Carlton was opened in 1846 as Carlton and Netherfield and renamed Carlton in 1974.....confused? i am. But yes would definatly prefere an ornate building compared to a bus stop on concreat.

• Upvote 1

Same design as many of the other stations on the Nottingham-Lincoln; my home village of Thurgarton has a particularly fine example which is Grade II listed. Lowdham also survives virtually unspoilt.

I travelled that line many a time from 1960 onwards, and I have to say I don't ever remember seeing the old station buildings; the Paytrain system came in around 1970 making the station buildings redundant IIRC. I can still remember the crossing having gates rather than the barriers; the original signal box in the left-hand picture had by then been replaced by a modern unit, which like Lowdham had the huge cast-iron wheel which worked the gates.

• 1 year later...

when i was at senior schooll station rd from 1962 it was already the building it is now the bank but was a supermarket then i carnt ever remember it being the old building and we would pass it regularly to go to the cinemas or up station rd to catch 30trolly bus to carlton rd when i was young so could have been pre 1950s

Nowt really to do with the thread , but one summer we used the Carlton side shelter as our 'gang hut' (There was all of three of us!) With the blessing of the signal man. We fixed the catch on the door, swept it out daily , and even cleaned the windows. It was really used as some where we could sit out of the weather and have a crafty fag without fear of being seen by anyone who knew out parents !

• Upvote 2

I do remember the signal box at Carlton when it still operated gates back in the mid 70's (My Dad took me up there when he was on the railway at Nottingham) the buildings were demolished and there were brick shelters provided, I seem to remember that there was still evidence of the stations former name of "Carlton & Netherfield" (changed to "Carlton" during May 1974) on the timetable board that resided on the Lincoln side opposite the box which too still had the original name boards minus the cast letters with the standard BR station name board over the top of it. Carlton & Netherfield and Burton Joyce had the same "Swiss Chalet" style buildings at ground level unlike what still survives at Lowdham and Thurgarton which are at platform level and are much larger in size. I seem to remember that Burton Joyce was demolished not long after 1971/72 time when BR introduce the "Pay Train" services which saw all intermediate stations go from "manned" to "open" status, may be Carlton went a little earlier 1970/1? There is still some the original platform where the station building once stood on the Nottingham side between the Barrier and the location cabinet.

NCCC002200.jpg

CARLTONNETHERFIELD.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

clifton i much prefer the old victorian buildings to what its like know canyou just imagian anybody stood sorting the baby out in the middle of that rd now. with the amount of traffic that uses it now and the speeds they go there whould soon be eruptions.even when i was a child in the 50s you would not dear do that too much traffic we always used the side gates if we could. i think when my mum was growing up in netherfield she was born 1915 netherfield whould have been more like that.

as for the last picture looking towards the carlton side behind the lampost on your right the building that was once used as a mortorya bit later a newer building was built to house it and the local coriners court.

How it is today

carltonstation_zpsc3053d7a.jpg

Now come to think of it, I remember a single story building with small high windows.

I never knew what it was, but having spent many times in my career in Mortuaries, they were

in similar buildings to that. But I never knew there was a coroners office in Carlton/Netherfield?

Maybe there was a county coroner before the city took over?

The 'New Mortuary' is still there

carltonmortuary_zps20d74908.jpg

• Upvote 1

You learn something new everyday! I never knew it was a Mortuary :huh: I seem to recall it was called "Anagas House" I used to pass it regularly going to and from school (Carlton le Willows (Annex)). "Ron Porters" Barbers was on the corner opposite the Fox & Hounds.

micheal did you know carlton le willow annxe was carlton girls school for many years before that i went there and like you i used to pass that building every day for my first six month then we moved out of netherfield to carlton but a couple of my nieces and nephew went there as they lives in netherfield in the seventies what year did you go there

If you carry on up Station road from your picture mick, turn back and you can see it's still got Anagas on it !

Piggy and Babs; I started at the "Annex" in 1986 then moved to the Main School on Burton Road during '87. I did know that it was a former girls school as there was still evidence from that era, ie the toilets I seem to remember that they were all traps and no conventional toilets for us boys. Beefsteak; as for heading up Station Road do you mean going around the back between "Anagas House" and "Ron Porters" Barbers? I do recall that there was an horticultural society shop of some sort around the back that was only open on certain days of the week, we had an allotment on Netherfield Lane what would have been opposite the former Loco and that was where my Dad would get compost/fertilizer etc. from there and I never knew it was a mortuary!

Just going back to the subject of Anagas House for two secs, the asking price for the building is 180,000.00 pounds.

http://www.brutonknowles.co.uk/property-finder?view=property&id=2043

According to Google, the previous occupants were Colwick Instruments but still searching for the mortuary tenants.

The garden supplies was for Gedling borough council allotment holders , my Dad used to go there all the time. Also in that little courtyard were the headquarters of Carlton Silver Band.

i remember it with the big wall in the 50s/60s i could never see over it so it must have been about 5ft high double wooden gates too in them days yes carlton siver band and carlton male voice choir used to meet in the same court yard the mortoury was there 50s but carnt remember when it closed as a mortary.

If you carry on up Station road from your picture mick, turn back and you can see it's still got Anagas on it !

I drove past it yesterday, travelling to a funeral. The Sign ANAGAS is still on the building.

I cant believe its £180,000, I wonder if that includes the tables?

mick2me, the address used by the previous tenants, Colwick Instruments, in the Nottinghamshire Companies Index was:-

Colwick Instruments Ltd

The Mortuary, Station Road, Carlton, Notts Scientific Instrument Makers

The company, opened in 1979 and closing in March this year, manufactured gas sensors, flue-gas analysers, and associated products and services in the gas analyser and gas leak detection fields.

I reckon that that building would have had a few unique gases of its own at one stage! vampire2