WENT PAST IT TODAY UNDER OFFER ON THE BOARD MY SISTER WAS WITH US SAID MORRISONS HAD PUT IN A BID FOR IT TOBUILD A NEW BRSA CLUB AS THE WANT THE LAND PRESENT ONE STANDS ON HAVE OFFERED TO BUY THE LAND AND BUILD A NEW CLUB FOR THEM MEMBERS BEING TOLD SOULD BE OPEN BY CHRISTMAS

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do remember the signal box at Carlton when it still operated gates back in the mid 70's (My Dad took me up there when he was on the railway at Nottingham) the buildings were demolished and there we

Nowt really to do with the thread , but one summer we used the Carlton side shelter as our 'gang hut' (There was all of three of us!) With the blessing of the signal man. We fixed the catch on the doo

When I worked at Raywarp on Alfred St North in the early 60s. We didn't smoke at our machines; but just used to pop to the toilets for a crafty drag (Smoke) every so often. We had a large cutting tab

i remember it with the big wall in the 50s/60s i could never see over it so it must have been about 5ft high double wooden gates too in them days yes carlton siver band and carlton male voice choir used to meet in the same court yard the mortoury was there 50s but carnt remember when it closed as a mortary.

My Grandfather(fathers side) played for Carlton Silver Band in the late 50s & through the 60s

If I remember the uniforms were Black with Green sleeve cuffs & lapels.

BRSA?? What's that club, Babs?

British Railways Staff Association yes a club & they also organised sports(football, cricket etc) & games & the odd outing too.

Most large(ish) rail centres had a BRSA.

yes thats wright bubblewrapp netherfield brsa used to own all the land were morrisons now stands as\well as the club they had a large field with football and cricket pitches wooden changing rooms . and i think at one time it had a running track round itwe used to play on there a lot as they were always holes in the fence and we kids used to go on there to play football rounders and cricket no one ever said anything as long as tou did not do any damage.

Yeah the original BRSA near Morrisons has or is going to be demolished quite soon, A KFC is going in its place, What a shame, The last building of Colwick Depot going forever. As for Anagas House, My dad used to work along side Dr Moorwood (if anyone remembers him) in the early 70's and he went inside the mortuary for years.

one of the reasons i remember it was the mortory so wellwas when i was a kid if we past it in the dark the lads used ti tease me that the ghosts would come to get me and i always used to run past it especialy if i was on my own comming from my mates house who lived just round the corner at the back if it on conway cresent.

• 1 month later...

I was told the lmrca/brsa is going further up in a building that's currently being renovated. I think its a real shame thayre knocking it down, part of local history that is! I can't help but think, what if theyve left someone in the old mortuary? Eww.

if thats right pixie its proberly the old british legion club as it would not take much converting perhaps going to use the lan were the old mortuary is as carparking that was always a big problem for that club.

We need pictures of it before it goes and during demolition and development:

challenge accepted

no problem, I'll have to find out when work starts as I don't walk that end much. any other pics people would like me to grab from netherfield giss a shout :)

is that the one just up from the church? its completely unrecogniseable now, its flats and theyv even removed the tiles outside. but I can grab ya a pic tomorrow :)

ah yes, that's where I meant. I live right near it. I'll get a pic tomorrow for you, its hard to believe now that it was a butchers. I vaguely remember it being a butcher's when I was little.

and IMMSC?

ah I see, yeah there was white + red tiles under the window. they were removed a good few months back

second shop down from the church origionally seth hoggs butchers shop mick was only 21 when he moved in there his newshop used to be nothiges wet fish shop when he first moved in this shop he sold wet fish in the back part the meat being at the front as it is now.

2nd from the church is a shop called 'as new' selling video games, dvds and electricals.

Where the Bank is on the left as you approach Carlton and Netherfield station from the Netherfield side there used to be a Chip shop and a Fishing tackle shop when I was a kid in the 50s ,The name "Poggy Wallace" has sprung to mind ,they were demolished and Alfie Ross's Supermarket was built on the site, the same building is now the bank ,Alfie started to make his fortune by selling groceries from a bus around the streets of Netherfield ,Carlton and Gedling .

On the opposite side of the road where the car spares place and chip shop now stand was a small railway yard where every year they used to release Racing Pigeons all sent by train from places up north like Newcastle, after they were released we would collect any eggs from the baskets and put them under our own Pigeons ,a few hatched but most were broken in our pockets on the way home .