• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do remember the signal box at Carlton when it still operated gates back in the mid 70's (My Dad took me up there when he was on the railway at Nottingham) the buildings were demolished and there we

Nowt really to do with the thread , but one summer we used the Carlton side shelter as our 'gang hut' (There was all of three of us!) With the blessing of the signal man. We fixed the catch on the doo

When I worked at Raywarp on Alfred St North in the early 60s. We didn't smoke at our machines; but just used to pop to the toilets for a crafty drag (Smoke) every so often. We had a large cutting tab

In the late 70's -80's it was the offices for City Ashfelt (spelling) my old mates older brother owned and ran it, his name was Bob Gardiner.

May have been a doctors prior to that though.

My mate Will owned (and still did) City builders unless he's now retired and sold it on, don't think so though as he was still working on some properties in Burton joyce when I was there this year I heard.

Scriv, Sorry I can't be more precise with when he worked there. He is my Brother in law. He had some kind of accident and severely damaged his foot. The closest I can get to when he worked at Imperial is 80/90s. He lives in Gedling.

No, sorry mate, still no joy. I rarely went into the garage, used to meet Trev in the Fox.

Ok Scriv, No probs. I think I gave the impression he had the foot injury while working at Imperial, but it was at his next place of employment. I'm sure your friend would remember him, if he was the owner. Hope I have got the right garage! I think it's the area that Loppylugs is saying. There is or was a chippy on the corner. May have been called The Blue Merlin? I don't get that way very often so I hope I have got the place right.

I'm going to speak to my Brother in law tomorrow Scriv in case I have got the wrong garage. You saying the name Trev, rings a bell!

Will investigate tomorrow.

• 1 year later...

Another piece of our history and heritage vanishing. Such a shame that some of these previously unnoticeable buildings can't be redeveloped in some some way.

When I worked at Raywarp on Alfred St North in the early 60s. We didn't smoke at our machines; but just used to pop to the toilets for a crafty drag (Smoke) every so often.

We had a large cutting table in our machine room, and I can picture one of the ladies; her name was Alice and she permanently had a lit ciggy in her mouth while cutting. She could talk without removing it and the ash would be an inch long. It used to mesmerise us, waiting for it to fall off. But it never did!

• Upvote 2
  • 2 years later...

All intermediate stations between Lincoln St Marks and Nottingham Midland became unstaffed on November 2nd 1969. But Newark Castle and Carlton and Netherfield did have somebody there in the morning peak up till the late 80s at Carlton and mid 90s at Newark Castle. You used to buy your ticket from a bloke in portacabin with the same ticket machine the conductors used at Newark Castle.

Used to catch the train from Netherfield to Midland Station in the 50s and I’d get my tanner pocket money whilst standing on the platform waiting for the train!

One memory that’s stayed vividly in my mind was witnessing a lady falling between the platform and the train.  Really frightening for a little girl.