• 2 months later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1989 & 2018  

Alfreton Road has looked a mess for many years. I wonder is anything planned for the old Jersey Kapwood building - across the way from Forest Road and a little further on up? The place has been dere

perhaps the clock has stopped.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Amazing photos. Thanks. The last time i drove around Canning Circus was in 1988 when I visited General Cemetery. What is the round building under construction on the left?

When the E1 bus came up Ilkeston Road and turned to the left around Canning Circus there was a dress shop just before  it got to the cemetery buildings. They always had a lovely dress on display in an upstairs widow. Does anyone remember the shop? 

• 3 years later...

I suspect that the original image was sepia and it has been colourized. Possibly whoever did it was not accurate in reflecting  the logo. However, Boots is an old company and the logo may have changed over time.

The early signs looked like gilded lettering under glass. I love that style of fascia and there is probably a technical term for it, although I don't know what it might be!

7 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I suspect that the original image was sepia and it has been colourized.

I agree.

There are a lot of fake-coloured old photos around the internet. Those auto-colouring programmes have a lot to answer for.

The more I look at it, the more I think it is the gilded lettering encased in glass. Many shops had those type of fascias when I was a child, including one on Denman Street where my mum sometimes bought items. It may have been Maypole. Even as a toddler, I remember staring up at the fascia with its gold, almost three dimensional lettering and thinking how beautiful it was. Too expensive for these times, I suspect.

I must admit that I agreed with Jill in that the photo of Boots may be a black and white image that’s been coloured but I found this enamelled sign on fleabay so maybe it was red originally.

F8-E6-EB9-A-2-D19-429-E-AF26-C4725-CE1-A

Interesting, letsavagoo.  On the subject of shop fascias, I remember a dry cleaning firm who had a branch on Gregory Boulevard in the row of shops near the Post Office. I think it was Daybrook Dry Cleaners. The fascia had the name delineated in what looked like large, gold sequins. I thought it was beautiful when I was a child! It really hit you in the eye when the sun shone on it. Gold sequins on a blue background. They moved about in the wind, so must have been individually fixed at the top. Does anyone else remember that? Presumably, there were other branches.

I don’t remember a Daybrook Dry Cleaners per se. Daybrook Laundry, opposite the Home Brewery, did have a chain of shops throughout Notts and they did take in articles both for dry cleaning and laundering back at their factory. I did their audit many years ago. It was owned by the Farr family who also owned the brewery. Some of their shops sold wool and knitting requisites. When doing spot checks at the shops I always chose Southwell so that I could lunch at the Saracen’s Head!

There are several sites that display and give the history of company logo's. Just googled Boots logo, can't see a red one though so it's a real rarity

3 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

My mistake, it was Giltbrook, not Daybrook! Well...it was a long time ago!

Perhaps the flashy fascia represented the Gilt element?

I don’t know if you remember this Jill but on the corner of Grimston Road with Alfreton Road was Clarkes of Retford cleaners. It had yellow/cream tiles covering the exterior. I walked past it every day on the way to Berridge.

3 hours ago, letsavagoo said:

on the corner of Grimston Road with Alfreton Road was Clarkes of Retford cleaners. It had yellow/cream tiles covering the exterior. I walked past it every day on the way to Berridge.

Is it this place which is now Chilli Hut ?    https://goo.gl/maps/iKvNV3A5kgSieWz39  

I must've also seen it when it was a Cleaners, but I can only remember it in more recent times when it was a Nottm Building Society.

Between the cleaners and news agents was another small shop which was a jewellers. It appears to have been knocked through to be part of the Chilli Hut now. I dare say it was popular with the Players angels. If you look at the front of the Chilli place you can make out where the door was. 
C3955-A70-43-EB-4-EC0-81-B0-126-D63-E4-F

Can't just bring to mind the jewellers, although I remember the other shops along there: Carrotts, the mini market, Capitol Shoe Repairs, Parisienne, Hairdressers, Searcy, CO-OP,  Cantrell's, Mrs Green's library, Hobson the chemist, etc.  It was an excellent shopping area. Not a fast food outlet in sight apart from the fish and chip shop at the far end.

Forgive an ignoramus Jill, but would that be the whole row of shops between Radford blvd and Church field Lane, opposite Berridge Rd.? 

Jill.
At the back of my mind I have the name ‘Trouts’ which was a green grocers next to or close to the CoOp.
Was the library which you mention part of the toy shop. I don’t remember the library at all. 

My dad bought me my first watch from that jewellers, a Timex. It was stolen when left on the mantelpiece for pe at Berridge one time but quickly recovered from a lad who was a well know school rogue. You’d know the name Jill. In you’re year I think.

@letsavagoo

I do indeed remember the culprit.

The  greengrocery as I remember it was part of the CO-OP and there was a tiny butcher's there as well. Divi on everything you bought. I remember the carbonized receipt slips.

Mrs Green kept toys, fancy goods, etc, and ran a subscription library. My father was a member. Wendy Green was my sister's age. The Green family lived behind the shop. Wendy, I believe, went to Berridge.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Canning Circus