This may have existed for some time, but I went past Canning Circus today and noticed that the old alms houses have been renovated (about time too) and painted in several shades of blue.

A bit of a surprising choice of colour because in the past they had always been grey/beige/magnolia.

Yb5E645.jpg

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1989 & 2018  

Alfreton Road has looked a mess for many years. I wonder is anything planned for the old Jersey Kapwood building - across the way from Forest Road and a little further on up? The place has been dere

perhaps the clock has stopped.

Apologies:

Regarding the above Alms Houses : Cliff Ton wrote: 'painted in several shades of blue'; I might add plus purple. I pass them by frequently on the bus.

I'm sure they would look more attractive - of historic interest - painted magnolia, each house displaying a window box of red geraniums

They were last 'updated' in the early 1980's, I recall watching progress on my weekly visits to the DVLA on Talbot Street.

They cannot be easy to let, pokey, noisy road to the front, cemetery to the rear.

I agree, the blue does not look right.

Ah well, another 30 years and they will change colour again.

You're right littlebro - 'pokey' - I heard they were only 1 bed-roomed, expensive to rent to. We're lucky they still exist, at one time they were in danger of becoming another one of Nottingham's famed historic victims as they'd been neglected for some time.

Funny thing is, after I'd got over the intial shock, I decided it didn't look too bad after all. It's a pity Picture the Past don't have any old colour photos to see what the place was in previous times

I bet this wasn't blue

canning1.jpg

Or this

canning2.jpg

But the big surprise was finding that PtP have quite a few photos of the interiors and back gardens

http://www.pictureth...003484&prevUrl=

http://www.pictureth...003481&prevUrl=

There must be a thousand bodies under the 'Circus' it was a favorite place to deposit suicides.Not fit for hallowed ground...and buried at a crossroads so their souls couldn't find their way back to haunt relatives.

Canning Circus - Cliff Ton's photos. The bottom photo is how I remember Canning Circus as it was when I was a child. The island opposite the Alms Houses was quite tiny.

Present day: I think the houses would look better if the doors and archways were picked out in magnolia - rather than the heavy blue that's been used - then the architecture would look classic.

For Cliff Ton's benefit when I was a child the complete building was the colour of natural stone - cannot remember it ever being painted - consequently it eventually got to look very run down.

According to the City Council,

Canning Terrace is located on the South-West boundary of Canning Cemetery, on the north-eastern edge of Canning Circus. Almshouses and gatehouse to the General Cemetery. Built 1837-40 by the General Cemetery Company, during the outward expansion of Nottingham in the mid 19th century, and named after George Canning, Prime Minister in 1827.

The range are finished in stucco with stone banding, lintels and cills in a classical villa style. The central gatehouse is particularly imposing with central rusticated carriage arch and raised clock tower and flanked by Almshouses (listed Grade II). It was designed by S S Rawlinson. The terrace was refurbished in 1975-80.

Brilliant bit of research littlebro. I didn't know that the Almshouses were called 'Canning Terrace'; with such a distinguished name you'd think that this stretch of houses would be afforded more respect - also with their connection to a Prime Minister.

My great-grandfather is buried in the cemetry at the back. He died in the flu epidemic after the first world war. He was a Waterboard Official - he held a key of some sort - very highly respected, a vast queue followed his coffin as it was led up Ilkeston Road and on into the cemetry.

'Canning Terrace'; originally a beautiful stretch of architecture.

yeh not that bad and one thing in no danger of anything being built in front or at the backand the people who will live in them have chosen to live there so it carnt bother them to much

Alfreton Road has looked a mess for many years.

I wonder is anything planned for the old Jersey Kapwood building - across the way from Forest Road and a little further on up? The place has been derelict for so long it must be rife with rats in there. I can recall a time during the fifties when my grandfather took my sister and myself to a Christmas party in the factory. The place was thriving then, my grandfather worked on the lace machines, nylon had become all the rage and he'd bring the remnants home to my grandma and she'd make things on her sewing machine.

I recall a few lovely shops that used to be at the top of this long, busy and now messed-up road: Olivia Jude's, Rose Shoes, Jack Brentnall's (?), Jeff's and there used to be a most wonderful milliners; further down there was: Skills and Machins. Such a loss! I know things must change but surely for the better.

• Upvote 1

I used to go to Eric's shoe shop on the corner of Alfreton Rd, nr Jersey Kapwood. The shoes were very affordable, which sounds much better than cheaper than dirt.

Re funerals at Canning Circus, there was one on an icy day, just as procession got to top of Derby Rd, the casket fell out back of the hearse and slid off down the hill, the funeral director ran into the Boots Chemists that was there and shouted "Quick give me something to stop me coughing" !!! (Sounds better spoken,) or perhaps not, I'll get my coat

• 4 weeks later...

my mum used to take us to erics for our shoes when i was younger and my sisters used to buy ther stilletoes theras he always stocked small sizes my sister jean only takes a size two or two and a half and always has had problems getting trendy grown up shoes for going out in but she could always find something to suit her if she could not he would make sure he had what she wanted or very simmilar the next week.

Eric's Shoe shop, on the corner of Hartley Road and Alfreton Road. Inside the place was absolutely packed with shoe boxes - from floor to ceiling. Very reasonbly priced the shoes here. :smile:

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Canning Circus