There is only one corner at that junction that had shops.

There were several, though I dont remember Erics?

There was a newsagent just round on Alfreton Road.

Just at the top of Hartley Road there was an advertising

hoarding and just before the corner was a butchers where

I worked as a delivery lad. Was Erics next to that?

Can anyone remember the name of the butcher?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1989 & 2018  

Alfreton Road has looked a mess for many years. I wonder is anything planned for the old Jersey Kapwood building - across the way from Forest Road and a little further on up? The place has been dere

perhaps the clock has stopped.

Do you know I recall the church, the school, the alma, plus the chemists, the bank, the polish club? and tv shop that sold motorbikes at other junction on Bentick Rd but can't for life of me remember the corner you all on about? strange as no only did I go past it regularly on 43/44 bus, but most nights jan till november 1964 met my ex off the no.7 bus at Caulton St virtually opposite

Ashley, go back in time: pretend you're on a 43/44 trolley bus, at the top end of Hyson Green, heading for Alfreton road. Wait at the traffic lights at the side of the huge bank, when they turn green you'll turn right, head further a short while and you'll reach the 'Alma' - this was the corner. OK? :smile:

Hello Jackson, think you'd best read my post again? I remember (well) all those I mentioned inc the corner (the Alma one) you mentioned, it was the opposite corner ie Alfreton Road/Hartley Rd I don't recall,

Hi Jackson, you were absolutely spot on with location of Erics, I recall passing on the bus from school to Aspley, down Alfreton Road, & alighting one afternoon tpo meet me mam & gran to get some school, shoes from there, September 1964.......................but I can't recall what I had for dinner last week............

bus stop at Caulton St

We used to go on a bus down Alfreton Road to my grandmas, and I remember that very often when the bus got to the stop at Caulton Street - going in either direction - the driver would switch off the engine. It was obviously the time & place for a crew change, because he and the conductor would walk off down Caulton Street, and a few minutes later a new driver and conductor would appear to take over and carry on.

There was no bus garage in that area, so where did they actually go?

re bus stop at Caulton St

no idea re where the crews went etc, just met her there then went on our way, wasn't local for either of us but convenient, her coming up Alfreton Road and me Radford Rd, was there a "clock in a box as per at terminus' on outward route there?

• Upvote 1

Now I do recall that one! I knew I knew the name Erics but couldn't place it, sort of stood back a bit? in later years used to buy the kids shoes from a warehouse on Beech Avenue, trouble was wife always came and finished up with a few pairs extra for her! lol

• 2 months later...

I always thought what a good place to build alms houses next to the cemetary cut down on "transport costs" ;)

I used to work in a "care home"? some people called it gods waiting room ;)

Then keep reading at again & again.............................you may even retain your marbles!! :unsure:

• 3 years later...

Some interesting subjects on this thread,I certainly remember those alms houses being a natural stone colour...they were sandblasted in the 70's.

Those dreaded toilets with the brown tiles were off- limits..mums order!!

And did Eric's shoes become Johnathan James?

I walked through the cemetery last year from Waverley st...noticed a few sleeping rough..poor souls. Long may these little houses provide needed lodgings.. though student accom,and fast food outfits are no doubt in the wings!! ( chicken ones.)

• 1 year later...

Not sure who's palms have been greased to allow that monstrosity that's beening built top of Canning Circus it will removed the gorgeous late sunset that streams down Derby Road & ruin Blue Monkeys Organ Grinders roof garden.  

DHnfjkeWAAA_Hzx?format=jpg

• Like 1
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Canning Circus