Ian, yes he was. The band accompanying him was Ronnie Scott's, later to achieve his own fame. What I remember most about that day was when I was queuing outside the Albert Hall waiting for it to open, a group of teddie boys walked past in full drape, drainpipe, grey gear. First ones I had seen.

Bought these two nearly sixty years ago - probably worth a bit more than I paid for them.

Incidentally, when Chuck Berry came to the Odeon in 1964, the supporting acts were: The Nashville Teens, The Other Two, Carl Perkins, The Animals, Swinging Blue Jeans, The Dominoes and King Size Taylor. Not a bad line-up.

RampR%20Yearbook_zps3khgvhvc.jpg

RampR%20Stars_zps7l0s36l6.jpg

• Like 1

I went to see Roy Orbison at the Odeon and the supporting act was The Beatles.

As was common in those days a lot of us left autograph albums etc at the box office to be signed and picked up later.

After the show a crowd of us went round the back to shout for the Beatles to come out and they appeared on a sort of balcony. They were laughing and waving and the crowd was cheering and screaming then they did something horrible - I think it was John!

He had a pile of albums and autograph books and he just laughed and threw them over the balcony and everybody was snatching and grabbing at them as they fluttered down.

People were crying as their precious albums were torn up by people trying to get them.

I was horrified.

• 2 years later...

Loved reading about the Sept 1963 show at the Odeon  theater in Nottingham.   My girlfriend and I also where at the show.....It was great and we loved every minute..... We where seated with me at the aisle,  Little Richard stopped and gave me a big hand shake  as he ran around the theater..... My girlfriend, now my wife of 53 years laughed at the time and bet me I wouldn't wash my hand for a week....... Fun when we where young.......

• Like 1
On 13/07/2015 at 10:53 PM, Guest said:

Late getting back on this one!! Chulla?.. Was Guy Mitchell good? Would like to have see him!!

I remember seeing Guy Mitchell at the Empire. He had a nose bleed on stage. Blood everywhere. He tried to continue singing into a towel that was handed to him but it was soon soaked and he had to go off and be taken to hospital.

I don't remember the year but I was quite young.

On 27/01/2018 at 9:03 PM, dougs said:

Loved reading about the Sept 1963 show at the Odeon  theater in Nottingham.   My girlfriend and I also where at the show.....It was great and we loved every minute.....

I was at the same Little Richard , Everlys, Bo Diddley and Stones concert . Unlike Michael I thought the Stones were terrible ......I wrote on my diary that they were "rather poor " ! Bo Diddley was my favourite on the night .

Here's a poster for the tour , though Little Richards name doesn't appear . Seems he was a later , added "special guest star"

m631019a.jpg

m631005lr.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...