Does anyone remember the Everly Brothers Show at the Nottingham Odeon on the 23rd October 1963. Also on the bill was The Rolling Stones, Little Richard, Bo Diddley and a few other less known people. I took my girlfriend to see the show and it was absolutely fantastic. The Rolling Stones were on their first major UK tour after forming in 1962 and had just released 'Come On'. I loved the raw R&B sound of the Stones and became a big fan in their early years. Bo Diddley had his famed rectangular guitar and his driving, hard edged sound was fantastic.The Everley Brothers stood there and did their stuff but the guy who sent the place wild was Little Richard. He pounded out a song and then started having a bit of banter with the crowd. He'd only sung one song but the sweat was pouring off of him. He took his coat off and unbuttoned his shirt and asked the crowd if he should take it off. You can imagine what their reply was. He then went to unfasten his trouser belt and I thought I'd go deaf with the screaming girls. It was all innocent fun and his music had everyone rockin'. It was a fantastic show and, as you can see, one I'll never forget.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

Some girl ripped a whole lot of my hair out when the Stones were playing She thought i looked like Brian Jones

It did grow back but fell out a few years later.

Hi, my first post for ages, I didn`tsee this show but around the same time myself and my girlfriend on a relavantly new date went to see Stan Kenton, I don`t think she was impressed with his progressive jazz style , but the sequel was we have been married now 47 years.

Cheers Danny

I went to see a few shows at the Odeon aound 1963/64. Dusty Springfield, Bobby Vee, Gene Vincent, Lulu and the Lovers, The Honeycombs . . . . . Jam packed with stars these shows were, all singing their latest songs; such incredible performances from all of them, especially the Queen of them all, Dusty Springfield.

thumbsup

Amazing that so many top recording stars were presented on the block-buster shows staged at the Odeon during the 60's.

When sitting there it was a little too hard to believe that you were seeing the real thing, that it wasn't just a dream, especially for me in the case of Bobby Vee. I was familiar with his voice and lovely songs, yet he still remained remote living in America and now here he was, only a few rows separated him from me - as I said previously, 'it was a little too hard to believe'. :)

Amazing that so many top recording stars were presented on the block-buster shows staged at the Odeon during the 60's.

When sitting there it was a little too hard to believe that you were seeing the real thing, that it wasn't just a dream, especially for me in the case of Bobby Vee. I was familiar with his voice and lovely songs, yet he still remained remote living in America and now here he was, only a few rows separated him from me - as I said previously, 'it was a little too hard to believe'. :)

If you were that close I.am surprised you didn't run to him...

P.S. funny thing is I was walking across slab square at the time he was there and a girl insisted I was Bobby Vee (made my day)

Trevorthegasman - bit of a mouthful that - after just watching Bobby Vee on You Tube singing: 'Run to Him' (AB - Nov 13,1965), I really do wish I'd have had the nerve back then to have: 'Run to Him'!

PS: If you haven't done so already try and catch this video because it's sheer chemistry between Bobby and the two girls he's singing to. :blush::blush:

Thanks for the above Katyjay. I'm working on my postings at the moment, just dying to become a 'Mega Nottstalgian'; when I've reached a 1,000 I'll move on to downloading - can't wait!

PS: Do I receive a coveted badge when I reach the number? If not, it's worth thinking about; it takes dedication reaching 1,000. :)

Jackson; Dedication......yes,.................also a fanaticism verging on blatant obsession helps, keep going only 15 more to go............

Paulus, thanks for the shot of adrenalin - your energy is catching (or is it catching your energy?) Anyway, looks like I'm going to make a 1,000 tomorrow. Hope the emoticons are working, 'cos I'm going to need 'em. PS: wish there was a cake with candles (that lit up) because it's goin' to be a celebration! :biggrin:

Thanks for the above Katyjay. I'm working on my postings at the moment, just dying to become a 'Mega Nottstalgian'; when I've reached a 1,000 I'll move on to downloading - can't wait!

PS: Do I receive a coveted badge when I reach the number? If not, it's worth thinking about; it takes dedication reaching 1,000. :)

You might get a tick. !clapping!
  • 2 years later...

Difficult, perhaps, to believe now that the stage of the Odeon cinema was the main venue for the top singers/groups visiting Nottingham in the 1960s.

Those I saw there were: Johnnie Ray, Bill Haley and his Comets (both performances and later at the Locarno, I think it was), the Platters (bought the last seat in the house - fifteen bob), Chuck Berry, Carl Perkins, The Animals - they sang House of the Rising Sun, a few weeks before it was released. Pre the show they were in the men-only bar of the Bell.

In the 1950s I saw Guy Mitchell at the Albert Hall, and Lonnie Donegan at the Empire. In trips out to De Montfort Hall in Leicester I saw Slim Whitman, twice, and Eartha Kitt.

Never thought that my favourite singer would ever come to Nottingham, but he did in the 1970s - Frankie Laine at what is now Rock City.

• Upvote 3

Never thought that my favourite singer would ever come to Nottingham, but he did in the 1970s - Frankie Laine at what is now Rock City.

@ 'Heart of the Midlands'?