Hiya all, don't know if anyone can help me out on this one ... Anyway, decided to go a walk today in the lovely sunshine along the old Leen Valley line that runs parallel with Hucknall Road. Once you get to Bulwell golf club/Tesco you get a very good view over to Kimberley and beyond into Derbyshire and I noticed something I'd not noticed before ... What looks like a massive white pit tip on the horizon must of been somewhere near Kimberley/M1 area. I've walked and driven along Hucknall road thousands of times and I've either not been observant or its a new tip or something ... I was taken aback because of the sheer scale of it on the horizon !!!

Any ideas anyone ?

No it's not the water tower ... I was bought up in Ilson so I know the water tower and tv mast ... This looked more like a pit tip and it was a little further west than the water tower and tv mast ... Like a pit/waste tip but it was white :-)

Only thing else i can think of that sticks 'up' on the landscape around here is the Brewery building the ironwork on the top could have been shiny today......they were looking to get planning permission to put a windmill up down near ikea....think it got turned down ....so...dunno

Been looking on google maps and somewhere at the back of the bakery at Watnall there is what seems to be a coal yard (somewhere around the former midland railway line) and it looks like there are piles of coal but there also seems to be a pile of something white there as well which covers quite a big area but it doesn't look very high ... Maybe it could be that and it's grown taller !!!

I drove up Watnall Road the other day. Out of Hucknall towards Greasley /Kimberley. Not far after you go over the M1 motorway about 300/400 meters or so to the left is a big white(ish) spoil heap of something. It could be just before the motorway. Didn't pay a geat deal of attention but I haven't noticed it before.

Would that be where you’re looking. I'll be back along there later in the week and will pay more attention.

I saw this last week and looking at it today it has got bigger, I read in the evening post about plans for a sports village in Giltbrook, but reading the article it said that it was next to the M1 where the A610 meets junction 26, there is also a picture that places it roughly at this point, so I presume that they are getting the site ready.http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/Fears-ambitious-plans-UK-s-sports-village/story-15265328-detail/story.html

I saw this last week and looking at it today it has got bigger, I read in the evening post about plans for a sports village in Giltbrook, but reading the article it said that it was next to the M1 where the A610 meets junction 26, there is also a picture that places it roughly at this point, so I presume that they are getting the site ready.http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/Fears-ambitious-plans-UK-s-sports-village/story-15265328-detail/story.html

Retruning from a, these days, rare visit to Nottingham (where I broke the jinx I usually put on Forest!) I noticed the white tip as I joined the M1 from Nuthall Road - sure it wasn't there last time I visited.

...and it's white!

Hard to tell, but it looks like a LOT of limestone. Could be used as a prep material for a large building site - or perhaps just stockpiled for future distribution. It would take a LOT of loads to build though, and some serious moving equipment to get it that high!

Here we go Guys! Regarding the 'Big White Tip', more information for you: unionflag

The white tip is 'British Gypsum' at Fernwood Supplies near the Watnall Bakery, Hucknall Road. Councillors are monitoring it for environmental issues.