World cup winning night 1966 " What were you doing?"

Watched it on the old black and white TV of course, I was 15 then. When Germany equalised my dad went ballistic and walked out the house, he said he was going up ' The Train Bridge' to see the last Jubilee steam loco come through on the Skeggy return, which we both did. There was a youth up there doing the same thing, only he was listening to the match on a tranny radio. 'Alberta' came thundering past then we shot off home to find mum entranced in front of the telly, we saw the 'They think it's all over, It is now!!' moment.

There you go, I recall going to see Forest play West Ham the following season, standing next to the players tunnel, Hurst, Peters and Moore came out together and Geoff Hurst spat at me, I was not impressed. I think Forest won 3:1 that day, poetic justice!!

• Upvote 1

In a caravan on Trunch Lane Chapel St Leonards, probably drinking Whiteways cider with my fiancee and my sister and her fiancee singing our heads off and getting all excited about our double wedding planned for Boxing Day.

No Television and no wireless so no football. Well perhaps a Transistor radio playing a bit of the old Caroline. :biggrin:

I have wondered for years where I was that day. I never have been that bothered about footy.

Nearest guess is that I was on a camping and canoeing holiday in Bala.

Col

• 3 weeks later...

I was on holiday with my parents in Edinburgh and we had a great time.  We were staying with a friend of my dad's and his wife introduced me to the delights of vodka and orange.  I did not see the match on TV as I do not like football.  I knew the score by the cheers that came from the lounge.  My dad's friend was a prison officer and was not happy because all their shifts had been changed so the prisoners could watch the match.