From reading few posts on here it seems a lot of you know the Cinderhill, Broxtowe Lane, Nuthall Road, Aspley areas very well, while reading the posts it reminded me of the paper round I did In the 70's, I worked for Fourboys (sp) on Nuthall Road, it was a big round in Aspley...up Melbourne Road, right on to Hilcot Drive, up to Minver Crescent, then up Roselyn Drive and down Harwill as far as Wendover drive, was hard going before school on a weekday and Sundays I needed 2 paper bags, I went to Ellis Guilford and was always careful not to ware my school uniform while tiptoeing past William Crane. Did anyone else do a paper round around that area?

Curly

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just to get the Newspaper theme rolling.  How many ex Newspaper delivery persons (have to be a bit non specific gender these days) are out there ?  I worked for Fourboys at top shops in Clifton. Chap

my younger brother had all three of themevery week i had bunty judy and diana for girls so i got to read all six. but ofcourse my brother did not of course want to read mine but mum being an avid read

Most of us enterprising kids must had done a paper round or a butchers delivery. I delivered papers for Parkers on Peveril/Lake St for a while. Christmas time was great but it was quite a hard thing t

I never did a paper round Curly but I know your area well; it must have been tough for you having to get up early - did you do an evening round too?

I can imagine you tiptoeing past William Crane - not in your Ellis Guilford uniform - when I was a pupil at Crane 'our enemies' were those kids at Player school.

It's a good job you had something to look forward to i.e. the Christmas tips.

When you look back, it's amazing what we were capable of as youngsters. I did a Saturday job at Farrands on the Green: started the day at seven in the morning, worked - almost - all day through until half five, went home, had my tea and then went dancing at night until eleven!

I remember those 'Granville' bikes poohbear: propped up against the windows of the Co-ops and butchers shops. I always fancied a go on one and then one day I held the handles of one and couldn't believe how heavy they were - that put me off!!

I did a paper round at the bottom end of Clifton, where a lot of Nottstalgia people seem to have lived. I'm amazed I stuck it for so long (about 18 months) because it's very difficult as a teenager to get up early in the morning. And a paper round involves getting up early every morning, not just week days; you don't get the weekend off. The only other job where you had to get up early 7 days a week is a milk man - and there aren't many of those left now.

The other difference about papers in those days is that they hadn't become the multi-page productions you get now. Today something like the Sunday Times is as thick as all the papers added together in the early 1970s. The delivery kids today use shopping-trolleys to carry their Sunday papers in; otherwise they'd all have bad backs by the age of 17.

my paper round as in earlier post was three big hills of cavendish rd carlton as well as hlf of cavendish rd itself from the shop near the old post office down to the cemetary up other side plus all the side rds off it including buxton belper and canarvon grove all bigg hills no fun when you carrying a great big paper bag full of papers and soometimes at night bits of shopping for the older people on my round and i hated thurseday morning and night when all the comics and magazines were in as well and saturday footbal papers rather than do two rounds that day i would wait till they came in and then do my round.some people used to moan but i just used to say sorry i carnt do two rounds on a saturday so if i do post you wont get football post or evening post comes a bit later on sat. from the end of my round it was of to my sisters to baby sit for her, her kids were often at my mums anyway as i had taken them iceskating in the afternoon.so my mum would get them in the bath before my brother in law came to pick them up to get them ready for bed

Had a paper round but quit & went to work at Billy Smarts Circus for the summer loved it, Good money also

Worked as a paper boy from Bill Whites shop on Meadow Lane in the late 50s early 60s. My round was Sneinton Hermitage, St Stevens, Road Notintone St, Sneinton Hollows, Sneinton Road early starts before school and then after school Saturday morning and evenings plus the Football post/News as an extra round during the season and Sunday mornings Hard work but loved it. 15 bob (75p) a week brought my first bike a Viking Ian Steel 21 inch racing wheels, drop handle bars, 10 gears from George Mellors shop on Colwick Road at the princely sum of £21 pounds he let me have it on HP at 11 shillings a week Father had to stand as Guarentor. Later got a job as butchers boy at Geth Hoggs on Colwick Road even earlier starts delivering meat and pies to cafes and shops in the area always got a cup of tea and a cake at Ann's cafe on colwick road." Great Days "

I did a paper round for the papershop on Meadow Lane, the one between Grainger St. and Brand St. My round was close to the shop I'm pleased to say. Meadow Grove, Holme St.,Grainger St.. Brand St. Freeth St. and Moreland St. I then had to go all the way along Daleside Rd. to the junction of Trent Lane to deliver to one house. I know it wasn't far but it seemed like miles when I was a kid. I used to walk along reading their newspapers and magazines.

Hi Mike remember it well the paper shop was the post office nestled between the Butchers (Godfreys ) and the chip shop (Jack Goys ) Was your delivery on Daleside Road/Trent lane to the Freeneys Son was Leo Daughter was Jean?

I never knew their names, just the house number. You have a good memory, Deeps. I've been thinking of the row of shops and can vaguely remember these... on the corner of Grainger St. was a sweet shop, then a wool/clothes shop, the chip shop, another, then the cafe on the corner of Brand St. I think the cafe was a bookies at some time but not sure.

I worked for CS Gant on the corner of Brand St/Meadow Lane early seventies, on the other corner of Brand st was mrs Butlers shop and a bit further along was Cumberpatches? grocers/general store.

Was CS Gant the engineering place? I think the place on the other corner was quite a few things in it's time, cafe, bookies etc. I remember the Cumberpatch family and think it was Ron who had the grocery, fruit and veg shop. I also remember George Cumberpatch. It's strange how I can't remember the faces of people I knew really well but I can remember the face of the guy in the fruit and veg shop.

As I recall GS Gants was an engineering factory on the corner of Brand st opposite was Marjorie Butlers shop she had two sons Derek and Roy and a daughter also Marjorie who was a WRAF.This shop later became a bokies. Then came the chippy (Goys ) a hairdressers (I think ) Post office/newsagents ( Burrows ) A butchers (Godfreys ) Sweet shop (Stantons son John across Grainger st was Hicklings grocers Son Robert Daughter Marion (a real looker went to Mundella next a clothes shop then a greengrocers part of the cumberpatch dynasty (John) then the Jacklins then the beeroff ( Job Whysal ) Further along was Fred Frosts grocers