I'd forgotten all about Fred Frost's grocers. My eldest brother John was telling me about when Jim went on holiday to Codnor Park. He thought it was in Scotland. I've not received your e-mail, Deeps. I was going to send you some photos of Grainger St. and Meadow Lane.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just to get the Newspaper theme rolling.  How many ex Newspaper delivery persons (have to be a bit non specific gender these days) are out there ?  I worked for Fourboys at top shops in Clifton. Chap

my younger brother had all three of themevery week i had bunty judy and diana for girls so i got to read all six. but ofcourse my brother did not of course want to read mine but mum being an avid read

Most of us enterprising kids must had done a paper round or a butchers delivery. I delivered papers for Parkers on Peveril/Lake St for a while. Christmas time was great but it was quite a hard thing t

The other difference about papers in those days is that they hadn't become the multi-page productions you get now. Today something like the Sunday Times is as thick as all the papers added together in the early 1970s. The delivery kids today use shopping-trolleys to carry their Sunday papers in; otherwise they'd all have bad backs by the age of 17.

hang on there cliff!

I did a paper round around whitemoor from 79-80, and every now and again the evening post would have property or car supplements,basically separate magazines doubling the amount of papers I had to carry, when this happened the owner of the shop had to cram all these magazines in my bag as I couldn't do it myself whilst wearing the bag!

i would then have to walk the first third of my route pushing my bike because I had too much weight on one side to ride it properly.

my first drop was actually the dirty duck pub, followed by the two houses next door to the ice cream factory, then two thirds of the way along basford road i and around bracknell crescent, and down tintern drive.

what about thursdays when all the weekly mags and comics came out murder on your sholdersbag was as big as me and i swear it weighd the same as i did then

Curly, I bet many geniuses' (male and female) first serious reading matter was the 'Beano', 'Dandy' and the 'Topper'; I loved these three. My children

thumbsup learnt to read through their love of comics, likewise the 'Beano' and 'Dandy'.

my younger brother had all three of themevery week i had bunty judy and diana for girls so i got to read all six. but ofcourse my brother did not of course want to read mine but mum being an avid reader would ead them too.and even as we got older she still brought them said it was for when the grandkids came. and i must admit when i went to visit once i was married i would still read them.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I did a paper round in the 70's, Delivered for the paper shop at bottom of Bradfield I think it was Broxtowe lane shops there, just up from Whiting's hardware shop, I also delivered papers for 'Sheddy' so named as he had a shed on Denton Green of a morning selling papers, fags and sweets until some no-mark coshed him over the head one day and he packed it in. His name was Bill Swinburne and I believe he finished up with a Wedding Car Business on Aspley lane in the end. I delivered all the way round Broxtowe lane as far as Rossington road I think it was and then Deepdene estate and all the way back up the hill again first thing in the morning and evening papers as well as Saturday and Sunday morning I also had two paper bags on occasion it was a nightmare sometimes, what with dogs, your mates from school, the school bully and folks moaning how late the papers were getting....they had no idea really...

Aye that be the one...I knew it began with a Arrggghh.....I think the paper shop was Fowlers newsagents...

• 1 year later...

Anyone remember "THE DAILY WORKER" a comunist paper that came out in the late 50s? i do cos they piled about 50 in my paper bag at theakers on Andover rd this was on top of my normal load,a free 1st edition.Anyway mine got dumped,probably why it never took off :biggrin:

I often walk along the old railway track bed behind Andover Rd and it's strewn with old bundles of the Topper local rag. No wonder we haven't had one for years!

• 6 months later...

Most of us enterprising kids must had done a paper round or a butchers delivery. I delivered papers for Parkers on Peveril/Lake St for a while. Christmas time was great but it was quite a hard thing to do every day before and after school. Fortunately the evening round was only half as big as the morning one.

I was a butchers delivery boy for the butcher on the corner of Hartley Rd and Alfreton Rd - opposite St Michaels church. I think mickme2 also did the round a few years later. Trouble was that half the customers had moved out to Clifton and my Saturday ride with a fully laden butchers bike to Clifton Estate was gruelling to say the least. I think the butcher realised that it was too much and did a van delivery later.

• Upvote 1

I started with a paper round - did it for a year and hated it - getting up early wasn't the bad bit, going out in rain and snow was! Then I got a job at the local Co-op as an order boy, same as the butchers boy but with boxes of groceries! I loved that job and didn't leave until I left school!

• Upvote 1

I had a paper round for Ebey and Browne(correct spelling?) on Musters Rd WB always remember that i had the longest round up Melton Rd to the Edwalton Hotel calling on the way to Bruce Dooland(Notts aussie cricketer) and Billy Walker(Forest manager) failed to do the complete round one day got drowned as a rat.Do they still have those yellow plastic capes for bikes?...

• Upvote 1

I had a paper round first off, early mornings and evenings, did it for over 2 years ! with the money I earned I bought myself a new Raleigh racing bike and a Transistor radio (they were just coming onto the market to replace valve sets) got the radio from an electrical shop on King or Queen street in the city.

The newsagent was opposite the war memorial just round from the top of Whittingham road, my round was down the back all the way to Kenrick road, then up to Westdale and along Hazel grove then up to Mapperley tops and out almost to the old miners welfare !

I then got a job as delivery boy at Marsdens Mapperley tops, better money but hard work on the old sit up and beg bike with the big wicker basket up front, no gears or any of that rubbish, just leg power, but I had to go down Breckhill road to Grange road sometimes, and it was hard coming back up the hill !

Then mum got me a job 3 nights a week, winding cones of wool, for a chap just down Bennet road behind Bailey's greengrocers, for circular knitting machines, I used to run the whole cone winding machine for him while he did the circular knitting.

He wanted me to go full time after I left school but I had an apprenticeship as an electrician waiting for me, so did that.

• Upvote 1

I had a paper round for Ebey and Browne(correct spelling?) on Musters Rd WB always remember that i had the longest round up Melton Rd to the Edwalton Hotel calling on the way to Bruce Dooland(Notts aussie cricketer) and Billy Walker(Forest manager) failed to do the complete round one day got drowned as a rat.Do they still have those yellow plastic capes for bikes?...

I also had a paper round with them, think it was Ebrey and Brown. This was about 1969, my round was along Wilford Lane going as far as the Chateau.

I was a saturday butcher boy for Sid Atkin opposite st Pauls church carlton hill

i heard this a few times-'WHAT'S HE SENT ME THIS WEEK? -I'd take the little wire sword out

and show her the bill, 'YER CAN TEK IT BACK, TELL IM ITS TOO DEAR, OY, TELL IM I'LL AV

A NICE BIT A PORK ABOUT FIVE BOB.

• Upvote 1

I HAD to do me me 'Errands' for Mam on a sat morning to earn my pocket money',that was Greengrocers,the Coop and the Butchers,and it was the latter i dreaded,she always told me either a nice bit of Beef (sometimes Lamb) about 5 bob'

the times she unwrapped it and shouted 'ITS SCRAG END TEK IT BACK'

Yes - the errands for Mam. I had to go to the Co-op on Alfreton Road quite often with mam's shopping list. I remember the high counters and sawdust on the floor. I learnt the divi number by heart 165429 or summat comes to mind. The shopping basket was not that heavy for just me and me mam in those days.