At one time this afternoon there were the 2 Dunnocks as per earlier post, a male and female blackbird, a wood pigeon, a thrush and a female pheasant on my lean to flat roof about 4ft from that window shown all at the same time, once the pheasant landed the rest did a bunk but she stayed about 15 minutes, then the rest returned, the dunnocks till after dark.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Crow...

Ashley: Here'a trick I thought up when I lived in Ethiopia. Birds often used to fly into the window because the sun reflected the garden on the window. I drilled a hole in the woodwork and inserte

I think I might have managed to get a picture on, if so It's a Gannet gliding on the wind at Bempton Rog

Love that first one Rog, seems to capture the atmosphere one feels at Bempton!

Taken by chance walking along the canal towpath.

As I got closer I assumed it would eventually fly off, but by the time I took this I was no more than 4-5 ft away and all it did was look at me in a sly way over its shoulder and watch me walk past.

I always think herons look a bit sinister and creepy; totally the opposite to the fluffy-chick syndrome.

bird.jpg

Cracking picture of the Heron Cliff ton, they always remind me of Pterodactyls when flying, those arched wings,the neck scrolled back and the long trailing legs bringing up the rear,thanks for posting that pic

Rog

Got to work one morning to find these searching for food in one of our lagoons

LittleEgrets2.jpg

Little Egrets

Rog

I'd agree with you Jackson,but when we had a Great White Egret visit our lagoons last year I can see why they were called "Little" the Great White Egret is taller than a Heron, I have a (not brilliant) picture if you want me to post, but not much near it to give some sort of perspective, late last year we had two Common Cranes on a lagoon, now they were big.

Rog

Freshwater and silt lagoons formed by extracting sand and gravel for the construction industry

Rog

Common Cranes, pretty rare visitors but they spent a day on one of the older lagoon, as I said pictures are not brilliant but if you save them and then enlarge you should be able to get a better view of the birds

Cranes2.jpgRo

g

I've got a shot somewhere, taken on the balcony of our apartment at the Blue Jay motel in Clearwater Beach FLA during a storm in 2002, it features a Grey Heron, Great Egret, and a Little Egret, all side by side and looking soggy and sorry for themselves!!

( I must get up in that loft someday !!)

About ten years ago I was taking Lotty Robertson, a regular customer, back to her croft in my taxi, about 6 miles out she says 'Dehrs bin aa muckle albino hegri aan da loch far twaatree days'. I immediately put my foot down and sure enough, ten miles on, there was a large white heron on her loch and it had been there for two or three days.

I got her messages (groceries) out of the boot, and also my scope, I saw it was a Great White Egret, not only that, it was the first 'twitchable' one since 1947. I put the word out by phone, and within 10 minutes birders started arriving. Soon there were over 20 at the Sandwater croft all happy and smiling at me, a very average birder.

Just as I was leaving, an Osprey glided over, they are very scarce here, it swooped down and took 2lb trout from the loch. that was the icing on the cake.

I

I'd spent several years working in a salmon packing factory, so I could estimate the weight of a trout quite easily. At the time I thought it was 1lb, 12 and 3/4 ounces. LOL.

I was welcomed with this sight this morning when I arrived at work

Egyptiangeese.jpg

tonight when I left all young were doing well

Rog

• Upvote 1