• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Found this: http://www.nctx.co.u...city-transport/ 1912 Service numbers were introduced for the first time on to the tram services. These were: 1 Sherwood to Trent Bridge; 2 Mapperley to Trent Brid

Hi Compo and Hi Stu: I have taken a look at Stu's reference and am now adding a bit of a personal touch regarding the No 1 Bus route from Hanley Street Terminus: Up Derby Road to Canning Circus, dow

That would be a No 41 There is for those of you who dont know there is a very good book on NCT trolley buses by David R H Bowler it's a bit pricey at £30 Can still be bought at Book Law publication

Question:

Many years when I was but a young lad there was in a shop somewhere in Nottingham that had a large working model of a trolley bus in the window?

Any ideas?

It must have been in the 1958 - 1963 period.

Ayup! so am I! I see David Birch has the gen for Vol III ready for editing.

I will be going on the "walk" over the remains of the southern portion of the line on Sunday (1st April)

Question:

Many years when I was but a young lad there was in a shop somewhere in Nottingham that had a large working model of a trolley bus in the window?

Might that have been Beatties toy shop on Mount Street just across the road from the ABC Cinema?

I don't think so something made me think of Skills on Alfreton Road or Gee-Dees when they were on Goosegate or another toy shop also on Goosegate or was it Hockley?

Was Beatties there in the late50s or earl 60s I'm thinking more early 50s

• 3 weeks later...

The No.1 (and 7 and 22) moved about a bit at the city end. Until (I think) about 1948 they started on the north side of the Old Market Square (as shown on the 1940s map elsewhere on this site). Then they moved to the much lamented Hanley Street. Finally, by 1971 and perhaps quite a bit earlier, they had flitted again to Maid Marion Way. When they lived at Hanley Street of course, they started UP Wollaton Street (which was two way in them days) as far as Canning Circus, which was a simple roundabout. In othe other direction they came down Talbot Street.

The trolleybus routes were as follows :

36 Queen Street - Nottingham Road/Vernon Road (later shortened to Nottingham Road/Valley Road)

37 Queen Street - Nottingham Road/Haydn Road

38 The Elite - Carlton Road/Hooton Road (the only place in Nottingham where trolleybuses turned by reversing)

39 Wollaton Park (Middleton Blvd/Harrow Road) [via Ilkeston Road, also King Edward Street/Bath Street/Handel Street in this direction only] - Carlton Post Office Square.

40 Wilford Bridge [via Wilford Road] - Wells Road/Kildare Road

41 Queen Street - Cinderhill Cross Roads via Sherwood Rise, Stockhill Lane. Later started from Trent Bridge via Arkwright Street when 48 was discontinued.

42 Old Market Square (Beastmarket Hill) - Basford Northern Baths via Alfreton Road, Radford Road, Vernon Road

43 Trent Bridge [via Arkwright Street] - Old Market Square - Bulwell Market via Alf.Rd, Rad. Rd, Vernon Rd.

44 Colwick Crossing - Upper Parliament Street - Bulwell Hall Estate, Longford Crescent via Alf.Rd, Rad. Rd, Vernon Rd.. Later diverted in this direction only to serve Old Market Square instead of Upper Parliament St.

45 Trent Bridge [via London Road] Upper Parliament Street - Wollaton Park (Middleton Blvd/Scalford Drive) via Derby Road

46 Old Market Square (Processional Walk) - Trent Bridge via Arkwright Street

47 Wilford Bridge [via Wilford Road] - Wells Road/Ransom Road

48 Trent Bridge [via Arkwright Street I think] - Queen Street - Nottingham Road/Vernon Road via Sherwood Rise. [This route discontinued in early 1950s]