Washing, dolly tubs and mangles

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Where I lived in Netherfield there were several houses that were still gaslit.  I suppose their older residents were still suspicious of the newfangled electricity stuff.   Related topic.  M

Hope this works.   The lad himself  

When i was a single Parent early 80s...........i had a little washer with a Mangle on it..(called Ada)........and keeping with tradition did my washing on a Monday night after work........and my sons

Where I lived in Netherfield there were several houses that were still gaslit.  I suppose their older residents were still suspicious of the newfangled electricity stuff.

Related topic.  Mrs. L had a grandmother that always got dressed up to watch tv.  She thought that the folks on tv could see her.  Sadly now days that may not be too far from the truth. ;)

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Ah the old gas lighting pipe, thought by many to be like compo lead. Wrong it had a very high tin content and fetched a very good price at the scrappy.

It was surprising how many people favoured gas lighting against electric. Back in the 50s I had a great uncle who lived in a line of cottages opposite Hucknall colliery, outside drop toilet, gas lighting but he had electric for his radio. When on a visit I asked why he had still got gas lighting he told me he had refused to have changed because it was much gentler on the eyes.

When I was a fairly new apprentice we went to do some work in an office building just up from Marks and Sparks.   It was some kind of finance company. The back of it overlooked Broadmarsh.  Can't remember the name of the street now.  In the process of tearing old stuff out my electrician mate found what he declared to be an old lead gas pipe.  He said this had to go and attacked it with his pliers.  Said pliers suddenly disappeared in a big blue flash.  It was a lead covered cable.  We had to laugh, but he wasn't too amused.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
8 hours ago, NewBasfordlad said:

When on a visit I asked why he had still got gas lighting he told me he had refused to have changed because it was much gentler on the eyes.

I believe it was also much warmer than electric light, or so I've heard said.

• 2 weeks later...

Blue bags. I remember when I was younger and we used to go to see my grandparents in Barrow in Furness. We had to pass through many small villages and among them was a place that used to make these blue bags. Locals and us used to call this place The Blue Works and I cant remember where it was. Somewhere between the lakes and Barrow. Passing through the very narrow road everything was covered in this blue stuff, even the grass was blue. As kids we were fascinated by it and it seemed to be the highlight of the trip along with the Hoad in Ulveston on top of the hill.

• Like 1

Reckitts blue was produced in Hull and I think the owner Mr Reckitt was a quaker later they produced Harpic cleaner and Dettol products, you can still buy laundry bluing called Bluette liquid from Amazon

Rog

Just had a check round the websites for you Nonna,there was/is a company in Backbarrow Cumbria who produced "Blue" called funnily enough  "Backbarrow ultramarine works company Cumbria" I think this might have been the village you drove through

Rog

• Upvote 1

Yes that sounds like it Rog. Ive forgotten the names of most of the area but some names float back occasionally. 

Nonna,check out Cumbria industrial history then Backbarrow ultramarine works on the website,some photo's on there might bring back some memories for you

Rog

On ‎16‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 5:14 PM, plantfit said:

I'm sure washing came out whiter then than what it does today or is it my rose tinted glasses again?

P1060017.jpg

Rog

Hi just saw photo of this washer, when I had cookery lesson at school we had a washer there just like this one, if I'm right did you have to use the handle to wash the cloths by turning it round one way and then the other way?

Looks like it Mary,I think it was called an agitator,later came the mechanical agitator that was part of the machine workings

Rog

11 minutes ago, plantfit said:

Come on Ben get back on that till

P1060076.jpg5d to 1/6

P1060079.jpg2/11            Depending on size...............and only the 'Posher' customers bought it...........

P1060078.jpg9d             scrub owt with that

P1060081.jpgSorry not seen that before..........but if it was 1960.......probably 3 bob...........

thankyou sir.....thats 12/2........anything for the week end?.......yes ?.......thats another 3/6.............enjoy    lol.

Rog

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

32230862-261-640x853.jpg

This is not dissimilar to the fireplace I remember at Bobbers Mill Road, although the oven and warming oven were on the left side and the glazed tiles were red. This was not the original range but a replacement from around 1935.

• 2 weeks later...