Washing, dolly tubs and mangles

My grandma had a fireplace / oven, exactly like the one in your picture, Jill.  It was in the kitchen. It also had a back boiler in it.  I think the house was built just pre ww 2.  I never ever saw a fire in it.  I think she used the oven to store any old junk.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Where I lived in Netherfield there were several houses that were still gaslit.  I suppose their older residents were still suspicious of the newfangled electricity stuff.   Related topic.  M

Hope this works.   The lad himself  

When i was a single Parent early 80s...........i had a little washer with a Mangle on it..(called Ada)........and keeping with tradition did my washing on a Monday night after work........and my sons

We kept chopped sticks for the fire in the large oven and yellow dusters in the plate warming section. When my sister was tiny, her imaginary friend, Dee Dee, lived in the plate warming oven! He later went to London in a copper jug and was never seen again.  And they thought I was strange!!!:blink:

I can remember scraping my fingernail across the leaded sections of the range. The result was an accretion of Zebo that my grandmother probably used before I was born!

• Like 1

When I was a nipper I had four imaginary dogs!  :rolleyes:. Guess I've always been a dog nut.  Daddy wouldn't buy me a bow wow.  ( Remember that song? ).  Now I've got two of the blighters and there's nothing imaginary about them.  :biggrin:

Just took 'em both out for walk.  Jake walks great.  Bailey is a puller.  Gonna have to work on that or get me self a pair of roller skates.

On ‎05‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:09 PM, Jill Sparrow said:

Jill....the picture you posted of the old fireplace is the same as one in my dolls house, only difference tiles  are blue. 

Sounds like an idea, NBL.  I'll do bit more reading on it and then give it a try.  I've just been making him 'sit'. Then 'heel' and we st off again but he's right back to pulling.  Doesn't seem to make much difference how many times I've tried it.  He sits right away, but will not stay at heel.

I had the same problem, Jack the spaniel would sit to command at 12 weeks that bit was easy, then its getting him to stay there until told to move, again we got there, I could put him down and walk round a 20 acre field he would still be there when I came back.

The thing is you want him out there working so walking to heel is the last lesson taught and after 2 years of running free it can be problematic to say the least. As I was told 'do it over and over again, every day and it takes as long as it takes.'

Two and a half years of whittling and frustration led to a friend for life, never regretted a single minute of the time spent, we had 10 great years before I retired him.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...