Americana International, Newark

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ford Mustang,Americana Newark.

Pontiac Firebird TA, Americana Newark Nottm.

Mick2me been down Palm Dessert a few times with my daughter flew South West from Sacramento only 35dollars, great spot if you have asthma that dry air is great unlike Florida that is so damp.Went to S

When we bought our travel trailer about 14 years back, there was a feller and his wife waiting for some repairs to their 5th wheel, now guess what was hauling that 5th wheel!! Try a kenwood tractor unit!! It was the biggest 5th wheel I've ever seen, mind you, they were retired and lived on the road touring the states and Canada.

I love all the pics RGR, amazed all this stuff comes out at this show. Makes you wonder where folks keep it at other times?

They tell me Katyjay a lot of them head south to the Med,Spain for the winter,British snow Bird's.There is still lot's of brass in the UK though they tell me different.

The pre war Brough Superior was the best motor cycle in the world, the pre war Harley was a bag of nails.

That'd be why the Brough's Castle forks were made to a Harley pattern then! :laugh:

Oldace, have to disagree; I've owned a VL, currently run a 45 (second one I've had and shouldn't have sold the first) and they're bullet-proof. Admittedly not as fast as Brit stuff, and they don't handle as well, but then again they don't need to. Harleys are made to go long distances and stand up to the hammer, otherwise they'd never have lasted over 100 years. Rode my 45 to Holland and Belgium last year, over 1,000 miles on a 70 year old bike and it never missed a beat.

Different market anyway; Brough may well hold claim to be the best motorcycle of its time, but it has to be said that it was top of the range, an exclusive handbuilt "gentleman's" motorcycle with a price tag to match whereas Harleys were for everyone, in America at least.

Here's my "Americana" collection BTW, specially for RGR;

HPIM2355.jpg

Trukpix007_edited.jpg

March20104.jpg

45 and truck in use, Sportster in middle of cosmetic rebuild, going back to factory stock.

Sorry to say you won't see them at Americana though; fantastic show it may be but it's ridiculously overpriced even for exhibitors. Not all of us enthusiasts are millionares! :(

• Upvote 1

Hi Scriv, I agree with you, the Brough was for the rich, and Harleys were made for the US roads, so did not need to corner well.

Back in the 60's, there was a good mate who had an ex forces 45, his name is Dosher, he was in the Melbray Vikings. He would be the first to say that it was a bag of nails, unlike the modern HD he runs now.

His 45 cubic inches were no match for the 650cc's of our Bonnies, RGS's, CSR's, and 650 SS's, never mind the 500cc Goldies.

IIRC, Vincents were banned from the American race tracks in the 50's on a technicality, because they totally blew the antiquated Harleys away, but then when did the Yanks ever play fair. their way is if you can't beat 'em, ban 'em.

BTW, I love that red 45 you're sitting on, dooya wanna sell it? No? I don't blame you.