Good bye netherfield trainlines!!

The disused train line that used to run upto gedling pit have been dug up over the weekend & left in 4 piles of 6-10 pieces. Theyv chopped all the over grown weeds away from the gates on victoria road also, leaving just grass & them large stones they have around the lines.

...So, What are they going to be now? New tram lines? a new road? a street maybe? There doing something on the functioning lines too that run across the end of deabil & godfry street. I need to walk past tomorrow so ill get a quick snap of whats left for all to see. I must remember to charge my camera tonight!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't pretend to understand much about on-line sales or owt else on line............I reckon its killing the art of 'Conversation'  i know i go on about my days in retail with Marsdens even before s

You're right there ben, I remember me and my sister walking up to Marsdens every Saturday we would both carry a bag and mi mams order book. All the shop assistants would talk to us and ask a

I think this is it, but I'm sure the Gedling experts will correct me if I'm wrong. The car is coming out of Westdale Lane, and the Co-op is on the left.

carnt see much being done with that bit as its still a working line unless this is about to change

I believe there was a plan to use that line as a suburban commuter line at one time. If it was going to be a tram line they wouldn't have needed to lift the track - trams can use the same track as trains.

The stones to which you refer, Pixie, are known as "Ballast" . The track is bedded into them..

Ooh i didnt know they had a name, just thought they were stones lol! I went to get a picture today but theyv removed all the lines now, its just clear.. I think its clear now all the way to gedling pit. Was thinking about taking a walk up in that direction were the lines used to be untill recently. Bit i may look abit foolish climbing over the old barriers haha!

Nonsense Pixie! Just take a walk up the "Permanent Way" (old railway) and take a few photos to show us afterwards. We shall look forward to seeing what it's like now.

thumbsup

I have one photo, its not brilliant but it gives you the idea of what its like now. As im upto my eyeballs in decorating this weekend.. I might take a walk sometime in the week or next weekend... I shall upload the picture from my phone this evening for you guys

• 2 weeks later...

My formative years were spent in Netherfield (Bailey St) i seem to recall the huge buckets of coal going across the sky line from Gedling pit to the big white hopper at Netherfield sheds, although no one believes me when i tell them about it, someone tell me i have'nt dreamt it.

i seem to recall the huge buckets of coal going across the sky line from Gedling pit to the big white hopper at Netherfield sheds, although no one believes me when i tell them about it, someone tell me i have'nt dreamt it.

I'm not sure if you have dreamt it or not :rolleyes:...... And I stand to be corrected if I'm wrong on this

I didn't know the area in those days, but the distance from Gedling pit to Netherfield sheds was quite considerable, and I've never come across any reference to any kind of overhead transport system in that area. Are you sure you've got those two locations correct?

Since my earlier post, i've spoken to a cousin who lived at the bottom end of Conway Rd in the 50/60s and he seems to recall seeing the coal buckets, perhaps its a family thing, maybe someone else can remember them.

There was a overhead bucket system running from Gedling to either catfoot lane but that was for spoil ala the end of the Michael Caine Film "Get Carter" not sure re any to Colwick Sheds, wasn't that far though? maybe an internal system within the yard which was pretty big you know! over 200 locals bases there 23 of which never left the yard with 2 full coal trains a day just to feed the engines

Since my earlier post, i've spoken to a cousin who lived at the bottom end of Conway Rd in the 50/60s

Now you've mentioned Conway Road, do you mean this location http://maps.google.c...2,64.43,,0,3.01

Standing at the end of Conway Road looking towards the higher-than-average railway bridge with embankments both sides. You would've seen all the wagons from Gedling pit coming along there

Since my earlier post, i've spoken to a cousin who lived at the bottom end of Conway Rd in the 50/60s and he seems to recall seeing the coal buckets, perhaps its a family thing, maybe someone else can remember them.

There was certainly an airial cableway with buckets at Gedling colliery but the one I remembey only carried "slag"(waste)to the tip.

I used to live on Welbeck Avenue(1953-67) off Westdale Lane & I cold see the cableway from my bedroom window

I have just rung my mum and asked her if she can remember any 'cable car' she replied in the negative , I remember the seemingly endless train loads of Coal going down the line from the pit. My Aunt Muriel lives on Florence Road (Backs onto the railway embankment from the Gedling side) and has done for about 60 years, I'll get in touch with her and see if she can recall it .

Now you've mentioned Conway Road, do you mean this location http://maps.google.c...2,64.43,,0,3.01

Standing at the end of Conway Road looking towards the higher-than-average railway bridge with embankments both sides. You would've seen all the wagons from Gedling pit coming along there

The bridge photoed is actually over Burton Road.

It carried the Ex GNR(LNER) line fron Colwick yard to Gedling Colliery

But prior to 1960 the line carried on to Daybrook & Derby(Friargate)

• Upvote 1

hi beachbum though when i saw your photo yo old nevoite you look familiar, the buckets did not go as far as the loco sheds i lived on debil st for the first 13 years of my life then carlton until 1972 when i got married and my dad worked at gedling pit and we were often up at the pit and played many happy hours on the cricket field but your wright from certain points o nevo and carlton you couls see the buckets and i think at one time they went to the sewerige works for some reason but i carnt remember why ,

babs (nee clements)

Sounds like they are making the former trackbed into a country walk/cycle track or similar? the work at Deabill Street is probably the the removal of the points leading to that line from the "main line", wonder if thats the case whether they'll reopen the tunnel to take the route to arno vale! Did the overhead cable thingy run to the settling ponds near victoria bridge over the trent?

ear vic

that'd make sence.. it'd make a lovely walk towards gedling way!! I remember taking a walk up the disused lines from netherfield to gedling, was lovely, had bunny's/hares n alsorts.. i hope they havent been scared away for good!

Confirm aerial ropeway to tip at bottom of Podder Lane; a friend's family used to have a plot down there in which we used to take our airguns. The ropeway was on the tip, carrying slag from Gego pit.

I know someone who worked at Gego for many years - if I can get hold of him I will ask about ropeways to Netherfield.

The slag heaps at Gedling Colliery were visable from both my junior school(Westdale Lane) & secondry schools(Gedling secondry, Wollaton Ave).

I wold often watch the ropeway working from the class rooms............................................No wonder I was a failure. ;):)

Confirm aerial ropeway to tip at bottom of Podder Lane; a friend's family used to have a plot down there in which we used to take our airguns. The ropeway was on the tip, carrying slag from Gego pit.

That's solved it!. Now I can come up with this, which proves it really did exist

aerial.jpg

I think people are talking about two sererate things here ther was certainlt a cable worked wagon way from Gedling Colliery to Mapperley Plains (for coal (NOT SLAG)There ia an article about this in ""Railway Bylines" Volume 6 Issue 11 October 2001

But not to be confused with the aerial worked cableway that tipped the slag onto the slag heap.

sounds like it will be like the tissington trail in derbyshire and others i have used and seen a good use of this wasted land and handy safe way for cyclists to get around nottingham. was in netherfield last week and took a quick look up the old lines sure looked funny with out the lines just the balast . also took a look at the house next to carolyne club realize now why it looked so different on that earlier photo its because it has been extended quite extensively and they have moved the gate from were it used to be and put in a bigger one near the old crossing gates makes it look so different from how i remember it. and i was surprized how delapidated the old club has become what a shame it was a lovely building and would make a lovely big home for someone if it was renovated the rooms were massive . it would need so much money spendding on it now

Thank you all for your comments, at least i did'nt dream it, although i've obviously got the distances wrong but i can put that down to age and a fading memory.