Good bye netherfield trainlines!!

According to gedling council (dated feb 2005) the line is earmarked for light rail and the pit site for masses of houses. i walked upto the tunnel which passes under mapperley top and you can walk in there so far, well worth a walk.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't pretend to understand much about on-line sales or owt else on line............I reckon its killing the art of 'Conversation'  i know i go on about my days in retail with Marsdens even before s

You're right there ben, I remember me and my sister walking up to Marsdens every Saturday we would both carry a bag and mi mams order book. All the shop assistants would talk to us and ask a

I think this is it, but I'm sure the Gedling experts will correct me if I'm wrong. The car is coming out of Westdale Lane, and the Co-op is on the left.

Walked and rode through it on a motorbike in the "good old days" and not so long ago walked down to the other end of the tunnel which is now sealed off, (if thinking of doing that don't forget your wellies!)

I remember finding the tunnel when I was younger, I found it quite spooky, we all got quite spooked and ran out.. Never went back. But we used to go up to the pit on a regular basis as kids, we used to climb to the top n look at the view of Gedling, I went back a couple of years ago & it's all changed alot. I don't see how they can build an estate on there when it's all hollow, surely after some time the buildings would start to sink?

The last time I walked "Gedling" tunnel (as it was known to us in Arnold) was about 1964. The track was still in-situ and the smell was acrid and sulphuric - wonderful! I don't recall it being particularly damp but it was not long since closed so the water had probably not found its way in at that time.

The last time (Good at "last times" aren't I <g>) I was at Geggo pit was on a first aid training course in 1968. Tutor was called Etherington, can't recall his first name. It was a Saturday morning course running over several Saturdays. A comprehensive book came with the course and it proved to be extremely useful..........I used it when delivering my daughter! My ex-wife kept the book, complete with its blood stained "How to deliver a baby" section.

thumbsup

The last time I walked "Gedling" tunnel (as it was known to us in Arnold) was about 1964. The track was still in-situ and the smell was acrid and sulphuric - wonderful! I don't recall it being particularly damp but it was not long since closed so the water had probably not found its way in at that time.

The "Mapperley" tunnel was closed on 3/4 April 1960 & with it Daybrook & Gedling stations.

The whole section of track from Leen Valley Junction to Gedling colliery also closed.

Any goods traffic off the GN/GC sections were re-routed via Victoria Station,Weekday Cross, Netherfield Junction& Colwick North. thus having to reverse into Colwick yard.

I was the regester lad at Colwick North box for about 18 months in 1965/66

I also "walked" Mapperlet Tunnel it must have been 1963 or 1964 before I left school in 1965.

N.C.B Moorgreen training centre 1970, we had a tutor called Mr Etherington. Very placid think he taught us metalwork.

That's the man Denshaw! an excellent mining teacher, what was his first name? I was at Moorgreen in 1967, the boss of the centre was called Alf (Hutchings?) we used to sing the, then new, Radio 1 jingle: "Radio Alf's a load of fun - like migrane headaches"

\snip\

\snip\

I was the regester lad at Colwick North box for about 18 months in 1965/66

\snip\

Sorry - got my quotes a bit mixed up! Do you know anything about the stored carriages between Leen Valley Junction and Daybrook Station during the period soon after closure of the Station?

Does anyone know how i can get onto where theyv ripped em up? Looks like a lovely scenic walk.. & i want to go blackberry picking later on in the summer for my apple + blackberry pies i make every year

• 1 month later...

The focus leaflet came through the door the other day, its full of local news, updates etc... It said that the reason why the trainlines where took up are unclear, no plans have been made for the area of the old train lines, so at the moment are used for dogwalkers and such.. Its being looked into so hopefully theyll be some news in the next print of the focus leaflet.

You'll probably find that the reason is something like some maintenance was due on the track so Railtrack lifted the lines rather than having to spend money on maintenance.

but if it was disused for 10+ years & part of it was missing nearer to gedling, i doubt itd 'need' any maintenance?

AFAIK Railtrack are obliged to keep it "Safe" If they deem it unsafe they are likely to dismantle it rather than repair and maintain. I'll check.

Fair enough, im just looking forward to getting my hands on those blackberries later on in the summer for my blackberry and appie pies! Yumm

• 5 years later...

I used to Walk past it every day to school.  (Caroline club). I used to come up Deabill street from Hodgkinson street.  I think it was the railway men's club back then.  That was about sixty years ago.  Always looked ok back then.

• 11 months later...

Just read that the Total Oil Terminal just off Rectory Junction will soon be closing and ultimately demolished. It only receives two trains per week nowadays from Lindsay Oil Refinery in North Lincs.

Probably it'll be yet another infernal retail park !

• Like 1

If I was in the shopping centre business I don't think I'd build another one right now.  Some of the biggies over here are really hurting.  Some of the big stores are closing.  The usual reason given is that online shopping especially Amazon is really hurting their sales.

Regardless of the reasons it is starting to hurt the big developers too.  Can't make much rent when the tenants are going belly up.

• Upvote 1

Amazon have such a lot to answer for. Although I buy a few things online, especially eBay, I really loath buying from Amazon, as their prices are invariably way higher than anyone else's.

1 hour ago, FLY2 said:

I really loath buying from Amazon, as their prices are invariably way higher than anyone else's.

I agree, but I found if you look at the prices from the other retailers (not Amazon themselves) they are usually much cheaper than Amazon. By clicking on "New From" you find the same thing at much lower prices. This is an example of a DVD I bought recently.

kcTAqXy.jpg

• Upvote 1