Good bye netherfield trainlines!!

Online shopping generally is killing the mom and pop local store.  I owned a mobile phone store for seven years.  Folks would come in so they could handle and play with the phones.  Then they'd go home and buy one online.  we had a hard time competing with that because of our overhead.  We were getting older.  The writing was on the wall so we sold it to a young 'go getter.'  He is now owned by a bigger chain and so it goes.  Long way from the little local stores I grew up with in Netherfield.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't pretend to understand much about on-line sales or owt else on line............I reckon its killing the art of 'Conversation'  i know i go on about my days in retail with Marsdens even before s

You're right there ben, I remember me and my sister walking up to Marsdens every Saturday we would both carry a bag and mi mams order book. All the shop assistants would talk to us and ask a

I think this is it, but I'm sure the Gedling experts will correct me if I'm wrong. The car is coming out of Westdale Lane, and the Co-op is on the left.

I don't pretend to understand much about on-line sales or owt else on line............I reckon its killing the art of 'Conversation'  i know i go on about my days in retail with Marsdens even before self-service,,but whats nicer than a friendly chat interlaced with good humour ?

Even catching Shoplifters is now done with boring camera watching then passing on the info to the Police,,,who really don't want to know.

Hello or even Ey-up,, Mrs Williams,, half lb of Lard,,half lb of Cheddar Cheese,,tin of Tarantella tomatoes,,pound of shoulder Bacon and an Ounce of yeast,,thats 7/8 thankyou.............oh yes,that tin of John West Salmon you put in your pocket,do you want to pay for that as well ?.........ok,thats another 4/6 then..........thanks Mrs Williams see you tomorrow.........what could be nicer a bit of interaction,,,;)

• Like 6

John West red Salmon really was 4/6 in the 60s,,,noticed in Morrisons this morning its now £4-50 per can.......!!!!

Thats right Phil,,,JW red Salmon was always a luxury,,,,,,and always a favourite with the Shoplifters,,,

• Like 1

So in real money, it's roughly the same price then.

This is REAL money, true face value 2 pounds, faux money value around 12 of those monopoly bills.

171390_slab.jpg?v=20181025103236&width=1

4 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Hello or even Ey-up,, Mrs Williams,, half lb of Lard,,half lb of Cheddar Chees

You're right there ben, I remember me and my sister walking up to Marsdens every Saturday

we would both carry a bag and mi mams order book. All the shop assistants would talk to

us and ask about the family and the Manager would give us a bag of broken biscuits to eat

on the way home   

• Like 3

Which Marsdens Sue ?..............i more or less grew up with them from being 15 to 22,,,,all my working life i was happy and none more so than my Days at Marsdens/Farrands.........

Gedling ben, it was on the border of Main Rd Gedling and Gedling Rd Carlton.

It would be in the 50s when me and my sis would be munching away trying to finish

all the biscuits before our older brothers could take them of us.:rolleyes:  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thought i knew em all Sue,,but can't recall that one.........worked the one in Netherfield and the one on Carlton road,,but that was town end,,

Edit..........was it near where the present day Coop is ?

Victoria road Marsdens in Netherfield was one of my favourites as a teenager,,,great Manager Sid Howard,,,ex Chindit with Wingate,,also lovely staff and customers mostly local factory girls.............:rolleyes:

14 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

Thought i knew em all Sue,,but can't recall that one.........worked the one in Netherfield and the one on Carlton road,,but that was town end,,         Edit..........was it near where the present day Coop is ?

I think this is it, but I'm sure the Gedling experts will correct me if I'm wrong. The car is coming out of Westdale Lane, and the Co-op is on the left.

YjnCyM4.jpg

• Like 3

Yes thanks Cliff Ton,,had a vague idea it was there,,,,did work the Coop there though,,,,bloke hit me with a 12oz tin of Fray Bentos corned beef there,,,,and he squashed some Stork Margarine.......lol

• Like 1

That whole little block was Co-op when I was a kid.  One was like a mini department store.  Me mam used to call it the co-op emporium.  Had a bit of everything from clothes to toys.

On April 26, 2019 at 9:09 AM, benjamin1945 said:

Hello or even Ey-up,, Mrs Williams,, .......thanks Mrs Williams see you tomorrow.........what could be nicer a bit of interaction,,,;)

'

Late wife's piano teacher was a Mrs. Williams.  She lived not far from there.  Her husband was a ham radio guy.  Used to talk to him about it while she did her lesson.  Small world.  Wonder if it was the same lady.

That Co-op LL also had a hairdressers upstairs it's where I had my first professional

hair cut, I would only be about 9 or10 and I fainted. I was a bit of a fainter still am sometimes.:rolleyes:  

• Like 1

Late wife had the fainting problem in late teens and twenties, Sue.  No doctor ever figured out why.  She seemed to grow out of it later or maybe it was the Rocky Mountain air.

I was scared she might pass out when we were standing upfront on our wedding day.  I kept muttering to her, "are you o-k".  Canon Watson probably wondered what was going on. :wacko:

• Like 1