Ghost stories of nottingham?

Do you know of any? famous or infamous? even true stories happend to you or anyone you know? i LOVE ghost stories.. especially about local areas!!

Do we all know about the ghost of the hitchhiker whos meant to haunt Georges hill on the way to calverton? He's meant to appear in the back of your car. Iv been told by people that theyv experienced it & never believed it myself, untill me and a friend was driving back from somewhere around 11:30pm, was just me and them in the front.. I pulled the passenger side mirror/sunscreen down to touch up make up or whatever i was doing to see what looked just like someone was sat in the back on the drivers side! at first i thought it was a tan coloured headrest that some cars have on the top of the rear seats, i forgot all about what road we was on etc.. Then noticed the seats were black & there were no head rests! how strange.

A friend of mine also crashed on that road a couple of years back, car ended up just off the road onto a field. he wasnt hurt thankfully but couldnt get a signal.. as it was around 2am, he made his way to the main road on the top of St georges hill to hopefully flag someone down for help. He saw a man stood on the side of the road but said he looked old fashioned but assumed maybe it was just an old man walking his dog, yano.. at 2am like everyone does lol, so he walked upto him.. kept checking his phone for signal also - as he reached the man, no one was there. there was no were else for anyone to of gone & he couldnt see anyone around. Luckily he got signal & managed to call someone. Hes never driven down there since though!!

Another famous one is the Lady of the lake in colwick park. I used to work at Colwick hall... my shift started at 5am - 6pm, so was pretty dark when i started. Someone told me the lady of the lake used to walk accross a certain corridoor.. I was quite skeptical about it n just went ahead doing my house keeping duties. I saw a women looking at me out the corner of my eye through one of the windows, from what i saw - very pale! I went to the staff room to inform the person who was on at the time there was a women on the grounds peeking through windows, We checked all camera & saw nothing. I used to see shadows under doors, things out the corner of my eye, footsteps when only i was around... etc. Spooky place! I never rained there long, i couldnt cope so i left. Although i do miss working there, i just couldnt cope with being on the verge of a heart attack brought on by fear! lol.

...Anyone else got any?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Haven't you had enough? You've already been Casanova, Romeo and Ben! 

That is spooky, Carni. Thank goodness Poppy survived.   I have only ever had spooky experiences actually in houses. I used to live in an old farm house, near Newark, which had creepy stairs,

Waffle indeed !!   you never watched ''Randall and Hopkirk''                   

The Georges Hill 'spectre' is an interesting tale and one that's been around for a long time. You might like this book Pixie, it's featured in there:

http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9233&st=0

There was a tale that I've heard repeated over the years about a 'passenger' catching a Trent bus north on Mansfield Road near Redhill Cemetery. A completely empty bus save for the driver and conductor, the passenger got on and went up the stairs. When the conductor went to take his fair shortly afterwards there was nobody on the top deck of the bus.

Me & my mate Ian Nichols were walking up the dirt road at the back of my moms house up to the railway bridge very dark & no lights but we could see a sillouette of a person standing on the right side of the bridge ,I looked at Ian to see if he saw it also

Thinking we might get the crap kicked out of us we decided to pass but as we approached it looked as if he struck a match to light a ciggy but as soon as it went out there was no one there, I looked at Ian & he at me & we both took off like the clappers

Dont belive in ghosts but that night we did.

CAME HOME ONE NIGHT EARLY HOURS OF THE MORNING FROM WHITE POST IN A FRIENDS CAR TURNED DOWN ARNOLD LANE TOWARDS GEGLING JUST DOWN THE HILL THE FRIEND STOPED THE CAR AS HE NEEDED THE LOO WENT ROUND THE BACK OF THE CAR,AS I SAT LOOKING DOWN THE HILL I COULD SEE AN OLD MAN PUSHING A PUSHBIKE UP THE HILL ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE RD WHEN SUDDENLY HE JUST VANISHED I THOUGH I HAD IMAGENED IT WHEN THE FRIEND GOT BACK IN THE CAR AND ASKED DID YOU SEE THAT I ASKED HIM WHAT AS WE MAY HAVE SEEN DIFFERENT THINGS HE SAID THE SAME AS I HAD JUST SEEN. I KNOW SOME PEOPLE MIGHT SAY WELL THERES A PATH OF THE RD UP THERE HE COULD HAVE GONE ON THAT BUT AT THE POINT HE DISAPEARED ALL THERE WAS WAS A VERY THICK HEDGE I WAS NOT REALY FRIGHTENED BUT WAS A BIT SHOKED TO SEE THIS.MY DAD LATER TOLD ME A STORY OF AN OLD MAN WHO HAD COME FROM THE PIT LATE ONE NIGHT WAS GOING HOME ON HIS PUSHBIKE TO ARNOLD WAS PUSHING HIS BIKE UP THE HILL AND WAS HIT BY A CAR AND KILLED AND THATS WHY THE PATH AT THE BACK OF THE HEDGE WAS PUT IN TO MAKE IT SAFER DONT KNOW IF THAT BIT WAS TRUE OR NOT.

There was a legend of the ghost of Oxton Hall; a lady in a flowing gown. When I was 16 in 1967 I plucked up courage to visit the retired Admiral Sherbrooke at his house and ask permission for a small group to spend a night in the ruinous hall. To my surprise he said yes but when the time came everyone backed out and I wasn't going alone!

My gran (the spiritualist medium one) used to look forward to going to bed every night - because her late husband Charlie was always there waiting for her.

Reposted from an earlier topic:

Zoonie's ghosts:

In my final year at secondary school a lad in our class nicknamed 'Zoonie' after the Fireball XL5 creature came in one morning and told us of two ghosts he had seen the night before. We ribbed him but a few days later he told of another sighting. He saw the apparitions in Colwick Woods a way down past the spring. A group of us went up one clear night to check it out and sure enough saw nothing. However, undeterred we went back one slightly misty night and watched as two hunched figures flitted silently from left to right across the clearing in the wood. We were all startled to say the least but vowed to get to the bottom of this apparition. After a period of sitting quietly we saw it again. At the same time we saw car lights rounding a bend in a road across the other side of the Trent beyond the level crossing at the exit to the woods. The lights were reflecting in the mist and rounding the bend gave the impression of glowing figures crossing the wood as it did so. We laughed 'til we stooped when we made the discovery!

In regards to the story about Arnold lane, I used to live right near Arnold lane before moving into my own house. A relation of mine was out walking the dog on a sumemrs evening, around 9oclockish. As they were walking up past the dirt path, they saw someone cross the road from a distance.. But, on the other side theres just a hedge and a field... no holes in the hedge etc.. Apparently the dog got aggressive towards something in the same direction, the 'person' got around half way accross before vanishing. Iv also heard stories about a man on the pushbike, someone told me they saw him from behind while driving in that direction, they indicated to go around him.. but as they got closer there was no one there...

I have a strange event to tell but it didn't happen in Nottingham so I suppose it's invalid in this thread.

It's short but odd:

The odd occurrence happened shortly after we moved into this house, the old railway station at Watten. One evening during Autumn I sat on the settee and Julie was sat on the chair. Were watching TV when I felt something brush past my neck along the back of the settee. I sat forward and turned to see what had disturbed me. "Did you feel something brush past you" asked Julie, "Yes" I replied. "It was a cat" she said, quite matter-of-factly. We had no cat and there was no cat in the house. "It must have been one of those mass hallucination one sometimes hears about" I said and we left it at that.

The following February I decided to get a cat from the SSPCA (Scottish RSPCA) for Julie's birthday, so off I went and asked what cats they had. The only cat available had been there since the previous Autumn and no-one wanted him. I asked to see him and off the chap went down the corridor and let the cat out of its cage. He came running down the corridor and straight up to me. I said "Ok, I'll bring Julie to see what she thinks." The following day (Her birthday) we went to the shelter and the cat did a repeat performance of running up to me. "You wont believe this," she said "That's the cat I saw brushing past you on the settee!" He was distinctly marked with a black spot on his nose.

We took the cat and it settled instantly. I accidentally left the door open when he had been with us for just a few hours; he walked out had a trot around the grounds and came straight back. We had him until he died of old age. His name? Chuffy the Station Cat.

Awh, beautiful story!! I keep seeing a cat every so often round this house, Usualy walks past me in the kitchen when im funny enough feeding my two cats.. or i see him hop down the last few stairs every now and then, its a dark coloured cat but i havent been able to make out the colour.

Two summers ago, our beloved 15 year old cat passed away from old age, She was an extreemly friendly cat who never left people alone. She was allways found in either my bedroom or sprawled out on the landing. A few weeks after she had died, My mum was hoovering. As she stepped back she tripped.. & swore there was a cat behind her she accidently stepped on, there was nothing (I was in the room) My partner popped round one day & went to upstairs to the bathroom, as he was walking up.. he tripped & Said he never noticed the black cat on the landing.. but looked back and it wasnt there anymore (Our cat was jet black) She's making abit of a habbit of tripping people up on the landing, I was walking out the bathroom one night also to see a black cat walk past me.. But my parents and when i lived there no longer had a black cat. Strange huh, Im not sure if the cat i see every now and then is THAT cat because she was constantly with me when i was at home or another cat that maybe lived here.

...Would love to tell you all about the spooky happenings in my current house but itd take me a week to type them lol!! but, i think by hooking up some cams i could put shame onto paranormal activity films.

I for one don't care it it takes a month to type them - just write them up and post them...I'm dying to hear them.

thumbsup

Aha! I may be dead already...no-one on here has seen me in person - Whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh!

• 2 months later...

not much of a'ghost story' but the house is still having a couple of happenings, not much since weve done the house up abit more, seems the more we do to it in the means of decorating, the less happens.

Could be nothing, but my daughter now sleeps in her own bedroom, she has a beanbag door stop to keep her door open & i keep mine open just incase she wakes, but recently iv been waking up to a closed bedroom door, thought it was nothing, windows are shut so no drafts and seeings my door is open wide, i dont think a draft would of closed it anyways, then a noise woke me, it was my bedroom door closing, on its own!! At the time it didnt bother me, i was half asleep... but when i woke that morning i realised what happend..

Getting a bath ready for baby couple of nights ago, i put my phone on her bedside table that is next to her door, in the middle & i know it was because i put it on the mat i put her bottles on.. Just walking to the bathroom, (you have to access it via her bedroom) i heard a bang, looked back & the door is closing slowly & there was my phone, on the floor with a shattered screen!! Cheers ghostie, im close to my upgrade anyways!

• Upvote 1

My EX-Wife lives on Querneby Rd in Mapperley, my daughter now married & has her own house lived with her mum awhile.

My daughter told me stories about never seeing anything but a voice mimicing her mother's voice.at a time when only my daughter was at home. These voices got so bad she won't go back to her Mum's house anymore !

Had another spooky happening today, really shook me up a little! I put her ladyship in the highchair in the dinning room at meal times now so she doesnt get distracted, I usually ignore her while she eats because she eats more.. I had a bag of recylcling to put out so i went off to my wheely bin at the end of my back garden path.. i came back in litterally two mins if that later, to a screaming baby, shes only screamed or cried like that when something has scared her or made her jump. My stairs are off my dinning room and i allways make sure the door is firmly shut so that the cats dont go upstairs, when i came in to Paige screaming, i saw that the door was wide open, i hadnt been upstairs all day, i assumed it was one of the cats, the cats where outside chilling on the hutch in my garden. So yes, quite spooked out & i need a wee, but i dont fancy going upstairs on my own just yet.

Few days ago before the weekend i had this horrible feeling of being watched, the feeling was so strong i wanted to get out of the house. I came in from pegging the washing out, something was stud on my stairs, i blinked it was gone! I thought someone had broken in so i went to look, nothing, all doors and windows locked. Was cleaning my kitchen, baby started moaning in the living room, so as i stepped into my dinning room, there it was again, at the door way.

My house has been so quiet and settled for a while, but its all started up again, little bits and bobs here and there happening, but they seem to be getting worse, showing themself to a baby and scaring her cant be good, leaving my door open in the dinning room when i allways shut it till it clicks & showing itself to me.. When we had both calmed down, i said out loud 'Thats not fair! Go away and leave us alone, i dont mind you being here but dont scare us!!' the house has felt a little better as if theyv listened and gone away, but theres still that lingering feeling that their not quite gone...

I only got a glimpse of what looked like the back of a person. I had a medium/physic come to see me a while back, she told me she was picking up a little boy (Who iv seen before, but didnt tell her about just to see if she could pic up on him) His bedroom ''wasnt here anymore'' maybe because its now a bathroom.. But he was taken quite sick at a ytoung age and sadly passed away. When he got the energy to come back, his parents werent here anymore. But he means no harm hes just nosy because everythings so different to his era. Now, im not sure if thats who iv seen, but it was nothing like when i saw him before.. Or it could of been a relation of my partners who weve both felt, but he's usually around my partner when hes on his own and never me.

..The one thing this physic told me was about a man, she said she couldnt see him though, he was like an outline of a person and pitch black, she couldnt see a face or anything just blackness, she said hes horrible, and he used to be horrible to his children when they all lived here, she said something about trains her words were 'he's on about the trains, hes saying children should be seen and not heard' but she said it was scaring her too much to go on, she hated it. But she said whenever theres an arguement in the house he'll be there, he feeds off negative energy. It could of been bull, but weve senced something not so nice in the house a day or two after a big argument, but iv never seen him & theres been no bad atmosphere or any arguements for months..

Pixie,I have never read, or heard of one person having seen or experienced so much as yourself,regarding the paranormal.

Would you agree that 'people' can be 'haunted',and not places.

Try a couple of things,don't bring any mediums or spiritualists into your home, for a while,and don't attend any meetings.

See if you can obtain a copy of,'How to hunt ghosts',Joshua P, Warren.

Its abit difficalt not to have a physic in my home, i have a relation whos a physic and they visit often, Apparently i have the gift to, i was told by someone who doesnt know me at a 'physic church' once that i have the gift, i see, feel and experience within dreams. that is true, they visit me in my dreams but only loved ones when i need a warning sort of thing. Never experienced anything quite like this untill i moved out, nothing at my parents, maybe the odd thing once in a blue moon but nothing more. Iv been told theres been a few people who lived here before me who have had experiences they didnt like & couldnt wait to move again. I think their attached to the house, i have photos with 'orbs' in around the house too. Sometimes it doesnt bother me much, it feels comforting, sometimes it really shakes me up.

I once visited a 'spiritualist meeting',for the only reason of furthering my 'education'

Sitting there for no more than five minutes,I was told by a complete stranger, "I had the gift" and she and two friends would like to visit me in my home.

Politely refusing I stayed untill the end of the meeting.

There was nothing there for me.

Most of the audience were people who had lost a loved one,and couldn't cope with the grieving process,my own humble opinion,they would have been better off in the company of family and friends.

Yeah, i know what you mean. I havent lost anyone close to me luckily just yet, my grandmother died when i was a toddler, the others before i was born, but i know my grandmother comes to see me, apparently she idolized me as a baby. I know i have 'the gift' i enjoy going to physic churches and what not because im allways interested in what they can pick up and tell me, i believe if someone on the other side thinks you need a message of comfort or warning or just to tell you their there, youll get one. Whenever i get a message, for a few weeks ill allways have that feeling that i need to go to the church, like a voice nagging at me, if i dont have that feeling and i go anyways, i never get one. So now i only go when i get the feeling like i should. Strange to explain really..

I've seen many programmes on TV where the Psychic, Medium, Fortune-teller, Spiritualist and others are proved to be fake and just looking to make a few bob. Whether anyone's 'spirit' can come back and speak to the living is impossible to know or prove, in my opinion. What I am sure about is that a lot of gullible people are quite happy to part with their cash to listen to these people.