Ghost stories of nottingham?

by saying a flick through, i meant i may have a read again, i still have my little bible i had from school, the new testiment i believe it is, I know quite a bit about religion as i attended a church school who read the bible to us, we attended church on a regular basis, my partner is a christian and so is his family. No, i dont believe in 'God' as such, But like i said, i question alot of my beliefs at the moment, I know of older people who questioned theirs through younger years and became religious, Some of them being complete athiests to strict christians. Anyone can take onboard a religion, I do not mock anyone with religious views and beliefs, like i said, i respect them for being devoted and have such faith in something.I would never mock or disrespect anyones beliefs.

When i said about alot of things i believe in are the same as someone who believes in god, i meant about the fate, how we all go somewhere better when were gone etc. Although i know alot of religious people are totaly against my views about spiritualism as its a subject never to be brought up within my partners grandparents home or even his parents.

One of my relations used to have the same views as i, untill a rough patch in their life lead them to read the bible, someone told them to read certain chapters of it for comfort, now they take their religion & god as a great comfort in rough times. It doesnt make them devoted to a religion, but they have some sort of beliefe that comforts them. I attend a church every now and then, a physic church ran by christians who every service reads a part of the bible, One reading was beautiful, i listened to the whole thing & enjoyed it, it doesnt make me religious but i appreciate the words in parts of the bible.

So im sorry if i caused any offence to anyone, i never meant to as i know debates on religion can be quite a touchy subject. Im not very good with wording things & its very easy to take something someone has typed the complete wrong way, as i said, i would never meaningly mock anyones views and beliefs, i would never mean to offend anyone either. I seem to be making abit of a habbit of offending people today from things i dont mean in such a way. So my apologies once again.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Haven't you had enough? You've already been Casanova, Romeo and Ben! 

That is spooky, Carni. Thank goodness Poppy survived.   I have only ever had spooky experiences actually in houses. I used to live in an old farm house, near Newark, which had creepy stairs,

Waffle indeed !!   you never watched ''Randall and Hopkirk''                   

Hi Babs.

Yes, they were the days at the old Methodist s.s. As I understand it that is no longer a church. That's too bad. My time at the Sunday school was not well spent. I only went because my parents sent me there. Presumably to get a bit of peace on Sunday morning and afternoon. I left as soon as I had a Sunday paper route. It took until a lot of years later in the city of Calgary Alberta before I finally got serious about spiritual matters and became a believer.

As noted previously I do not dispute the fact that folks who involve themselves in spiritualism may be given some amazing information which only they can verify. My question was, where does this information come from? In the Bible God has harsh words to those who visit mediums and do astrology etc. I won't quote a bunch of references, but I can if you want.

So logic indicates that if God disapproves it, it can't be coming from Him. So who is it coming from? That's the big question.

• 6 years later...

I used to live in a flat in a house that was haunted in Sherwood Rise. Light would go off (especially on the passage to our flat which meant you were going backwards and forwards switching it on as you couldn’t see to put your key in the door, if asked to stop it would, things would be moved and sometimes we would see a dark shape going up the stairs to the bedsit on the floor above. You would also hear footsteps behind you as you walked down our passage. My cats would also react to something in the room you couldn’t see. Whoever it was had a thing for my flat mate, used to whisper in her ear at nite and wake her up, she could never make out what was said, until she told him firmly to stop. It never felt threatening only curious about what was going on and we all just accepted that it was there and part of the household. One of the lads downstairs actually saw him in his bedroom during the day, he came running up the stairs to our flat ashen faced, thought he was going to pass out on me, and said it was a young man (probably why he liked my flatmate, she was very pretty) and he just faded away. No one else ever saw him. We named him Fred. We always knew when he was about as the house would go very still somehow, although there would be days when he wasn’t about. Our landlord lived next door, at one time there was a communicating door from our passage to their house which had been bricked up as two related families lived in the houses, and odd things happened in their house as well. So possibly he was something to do with these families and moved from one house to another. We would always say hello when we got back from work etc. to let him know we were there. As I said he never felt threatening, wouldn’t have stayed there so long if it had, it never bothered me when I was in the house by myself, in fact many times I wasn’t. We said goodbye to him when we moved to a better flat. Quite missed him for a bit.

• Like 3

Three children died in our house in the 1880s - no ghosts though. My story, which I sort of half-heartedly followed up but gave up after a few enquiries is: Had a Ouja board seance in my little house on Byron Road, Annesley, back in 1969 (Note the year). There were just the two of us, self and wife.  The upturned glass began as one might expect but then it suddenly began to go wild, spelling out the name Wilford Wilson. When asked the usual "Any message?" it whizzed around spelling "Spondon - hanged for murder of wife and children, 1869". Then it whizzed off the table and broke in the hearth! This put the wind up us both but after a few days I began to look up Wilford Wilson in the Derby records but didn't find anything so I gave up looking without much effort. Sometimes I wonder.....Was there really a Wilford Wilson hanged soemwhere around Derbyshire in 1869? Just 100 years before we did the Ouja............

• Like 1

Me too but finding nothing. The message is so vague - could have been born in spondon and killed his family elsewhere. Derby hangings seem to have been stopped between 1862-73.  Whether it is correct or not - it was a bit scary seeng the glass fly off like that! Just tried historical Criminal Records but need subs to Ancestry to get in.

• Like 1

I lived in a house at Brinsley for almost 14 years. It was built around 1914 and had been altered internally some years before I bought it.

I was teaching in those days and, often, in the evenings when I was in the front sitting room marking books, I would hear footsteps crossing the room above...my bedroom.  At first, I'd creep quietly up the stairs and put my head round the door but there was never anyone there. As soon as I returned to my work, the footsteps resumed!  Other sounds would occur but I just came to ignore them.

When I first moved in, pools of water would appear on the front sitting room carpet. There was no logical explanation for them.

My father stayed in the house alone for a few days while I was on holiday and said he saw an elderly woman in his bedroom! She glided through the closed door and disappeared. He got out of bed and searched the entire house but found no one.

It was after I mentioned this incident to the previous owner of the house that she told me both she and the owners prior to herself had experienced odd occurrences and seen the old lady who had been spotted sitting at the dining table,  beaming at people.  The former owner's mother hated being asked to babysit while her daughter and son in law went out because she felt she was being watched.

Apparently, the disturbances began when the house was altered, as though someone was protesting. The history of the house was interesting. In its early days, large families had lived there. Mum dad and 12 children!

I never saw anyone and, although I am very sensitive to atmospheres, never felt that the house was anything other than peaceful and welcoming.  I've viewed a few that were very much the opposite and, although well built and maintained properties, housed an atmosphere that was highly negative.

• Like 1

Where I lived in Rossington there was a haunted lane which ran down the side of the old church, a woman had been murdered there apparently. One of the woman I worked with lived across the road from it and used to walk her dog down it. She told me she was walking the dog as usual and it suddenly stopped dead, she couldn’t get it to carry on walking, then suddenly turned tail and ran. It was on lead so she had to run with it or strangle it. As they were running she felt they were being chased and could hear heavy breathing as if someone was running alongside them. She found another place to walk her dog, never went back there. There was also a female hitch hiker on the road that ran from Tickhill along the top of Rossington, she would hitch a ride get into the back of the car and then would disappear. It was said she was trying to get home, very sad if true. Don’t know if it was true, there are a lot of phantom hitch hikers, she was apparently hitching a ride home but got hit by a car and killed.

I agree Jill about the atmosphere in some houses, a couple I viewed although what I was looking for did not feel “right” and there was one that as soon as I walked in the door I felt very uneasy about and almost unwelcome. It just seemed very dark somehow. My present house, despite all the problems I have had with it, is very welcoming and has a nice “feeling”. 

I would never use a ouja board. In The house I was on about the lad upstairs did one with his friend he never said what came thru. They went out afterwards and when they came back the bedsit was in disarray with broken glass and things thrown around. Don’t know if it was “Fred” but if it was he definitely disapproved.

• Like 3

My grandmother was for over forty years a well respected Spiritualist medium, doing guest readings all over England. She once told me that I have "The Gift" but didn't know how to use it.  When I was young my father, being a good Catholic, would never allow me to be at my maternal grandmother's without supervision - he was probably afraid she might convert me.

• Like 1

I think it's a sense we all have, compo. Both my grandmothers were very receptive, as was my mum. They knew things without being told and sometimes saw things.

The first odd occurrence in the Brinsley house happened one evening after I'd had a bath. I walked downstairs and into the front sitting room. Snuggled in my warm bathrobe, I was in a soporific state of mind and not really thinking about anything. I felt a cat brush round my legs and instinctively bent down to stroke it. Although I didn't see it with my physical eyes, I knew it was a black cat and it was holding its tail aloft.

I had no cat at that time but the previous owner of the house had a black cat. What I didn't discover until later was that it had been killed in a road accident just before they moved out.

I never saw it again.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

A few years ago, I had the builders in here. They were doing a new fireplace for a multi fuel stove in the sitting room. I'd stuffed all the furniture in the dining room and shut the door to keep the cats out.

There was a lot of noise while the builder removed brick courses to accommodate the stone lintel. At one point, I needed to get something from the dining room. As I opened the door, I saw a tabby cat run past me. Knowing I'd have difficulty getting the cat out of the room, I chased it. The cat disappeared under a little Victorian table but when I lifted the table, there was no cat!

I was tired from lack of sleep and it was only when I couldn't find the cat that I realised my two tabbies were in the garden and my white cat was shut in my bedroom upstairs. Furthermore, the cat I saw was not wearing a harness and my three all wore harnesses.

• Upvote 1

On a more personal note, my late husband always pooh-poohed any ghost thing even though I met him when I lived in the Sherwood Rise flat, he was in the ground floor flat which he shared with the lad that saw “Fred”. Anyway a little while after he had passed away I was in my front room and our two dogs suddenly left the room and went into the kitchen and I could hear them messing around. I called them back in and they came into the front room. At the same time there was a cold breeze that came in with them. They laid down but were watching something in the room. The breeze came round me and it was very comforting, it seemed to move round the room and then disappeared. I thought I had left the bathroom window open and checked it but all windows and doors were shut.  Few days later I was in bed and was woken up by a noise in the landing, I thought one of the dogs had managed to open the child gate on the stairs but then I heard my husbands voice saying “It’s only me”, I replied okay and went back to sleep. The nite before his funeral I heard him calling my name, he had been in a bed in the front room before going into a nursing home and I automatically thought he wanted me so got up and went downstairs, then realised what I was doing. Perhaps it was my imagination but found it comforting somehow. I mentioned the breeze to my sister in law (his sister) and she said she had a similar experience after her husband died. As for it being complete waffle, each to their own and no I don’t believe in UFOs until I see one. 

• Like 2

What you are describing, SG, is not uncommon. I've heard my parents' voices speaking to me and also felt their presences very strongly at times when I wasn't even thinking about them..

Personally, I do not believe in death but that is only my view, based on my own experiences. However, death does not frighten me either. As someone once told me, the living are far more dangerous than the dead!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

We have actually seen a UFO. Self, wife and two children. Some 25 years ago whilst driving along a road in the Trent Valley. An enormous  saucer shaped object with windows at about 500 feet. We are perfectly rational people and not given to hysteria. We stopped and observed it for about 5 minutes until it disappeared. I’m perfectly willing to accept it was a phenomenum caused by moonlight and clouds over a disused gravel pond. We didn’t discuss it with others because we would not have been believed. I don’t believe in spiritualism or similar phenomena. It was just a complete mystery which I’m sure had a scientific explanation.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Yes, but you'd say it was complete waffle wouldn't you?

No, I wouldn't..backed up by Chesterfield and Derby 18 minutes later..mate's all thought it was waffle though..:angry:

Thanks for the support Jill. I’m not a weirdo, just a rational person that believes that there is a scientific, non religious explanation for everything. I do realise that there are people who suffer from mental delusions and that it is an illness which ultimately has an explanation.

When we lived in Stafford there were a lot of UFO sightings. The UFO's appeared in late evenings and manifested almost stationary rows of straight lights. My theory was that we were witnessing the nearby motorway traffic being reflected from the underside of clouds.

Don't mention it, Phil.

I'm not a weirdo either. I'm neither simple...I'm a former member of MENSA...nor am I gullible. However, I've seen, heard and experienced things all through my life which other people find unacceptable...purely because they haven't experienced them.

I agree that there is almost certainly a rational, logical explanation for such occurrences and when they happen to me, I'm the first to seek it out. However, we aren't as knowledgeable as we'd like to think, are we?

• Like 3

The older i get the less i know ''''    there is so much we don't understand,,,would like to think there is an 'afterlife''  but if there is,, what do you do all day ?