Heart of the Midlands - Who did you see there?

SPENT MANY HAPPY NIGHT AT THE OLD HEART OF THE MIDLANDS NOW OFCOURSE FOR YOU YOUNGER ONES ROCK CITY AND SAW MANY DIFERENT ARTIST THERE FROM MID SIXTIES UNTILL IT CLOSED NEW ALLAN ROPPER QUITE WELL AND WOULD OFTEN GET FREE TICKETS FOR THE SHOWS AND OF COURSE IF YOU PAID TO GO SATURDAY NIGHT YOU ALWAYS GOT FREE TICKETS FOR THE WEDNESSDAY NIGHT ANYWAY TO SEE THE SAME ARTIST

HERE ARE SOME OF THE ARTISTS I SAW THERE.

NANA MASCORI

ROGER WHITTICAR

THE GRUMBLE WEEDS

LENA MARTEL

ROGER DECORSY

DAVID ESSEX PJ PROBY

JIGSAW

TO NAME BUT A FEW I WILL LEAVE IT UP TO YOU TO SEE IF I HAVE JOGED ANY ONES MEMORY

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello. My name is Jason ROPER. My father is ALAN ROPER and I can tell you that he his ALIVE & doing VERY WELL!! hehe. After THOTM, he actually moved to work for the Nottingham Evening Post w

Always thought Lamcote Coaches (or Motors back in the 50s-60s) got its name from the Lamcote House and Farm, encompassing most of that end of RoT in the 20s-30s. Most of Lamcote Farm was later deve

It’s with deep sadness that I let you all know that Alan Roper, my father, passed away yesterday 2nd November 2020, aged 84 from pneumonia and covid-19.   I’m, to say the least, Devastated.

Posted Images

Went to see Suzy Quatro but when we got there, there were loadsa folk out on the street....they wunt let no-one in because the dress code said you had to wear a tie....there was a big stink which seemed to go on for ages till they finally let everyone in.....good concert in the end...if not just a little late.

I had the alternative , soup in a basket !

Too young to have gone to see anybody there really , my Mum and Dad went a few times IMMSC.

Been loads of times as Rock City though.

Only went once, with previous Mrs SWMBO,........................sat through 2 shows by Brotherhood of Man, both with encores of 'save your kisses for me', sheer torture + chicken in the basket...............that cured me!! never went near the place again.........................

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

I got complimentary tickets once in 1980 to see Frank Carson. He was very funny and I met him backstage and he was even funnier. It was a Friday and the next day Forest were playing Manchester City who he supported. Invited me and wife to go with him but it clashed with something else we were doing.

• 4 months later...

My wife got some free tickets to see Ken Dodd there, she had to drag me along as I wasn't that keen on bloody "diddymen" style comedy.

But he was a totally different type of comedian to the tv crap.

Never laughed so much in my life ! and talk about blue jokes ! I came out aching I had laughed so much.

Ah ! Ken Dodd, known in the trade as "The taxi drivers friend" because of his habit of over running his show till the buses had stopped running and everbody had to get home by cab.

SWMBO always told me she couldn't stand him, but we were up in Blackpool on business just before we had the kids , and I managed to blag a couple of tickets to his show, well I've never known anybody change their opinion of someone so quick.

Tattyfalairious folks !!

Just about my first gig as a DJ involved working at the HOTM with The Dooleys.

I was a little naive I guess, and was rather disappointed at how Jim Dooley said exactly the same thing at the same time to the audiance every night!

I don't think I impressed him either when one night when I was leaving, he was in the foyer signing autographs, and as I walked by he asked me what I thought of their new song, Wanted, I replied......yes its good, but it sounds so much like Abba!

• 1 month later...

Ken Dodd. In 1965 the annual holiday day out for our firm (John Line & Sons -- Wallpapers and pain merchants) was a tripe to London with the finale being the Ken Dodd show at the London Palladium. I had no real opinion of him but he was onstage for 2 1/2 hours cracking joke after joke. Everyone was in hysterics (including me) and it was like you were in so much pain from laughing you wanted him to stop.

Anyone else remember when companies would close for a day (the above trip was a Wednesday) and take the staff of somewhere?

once went with city council to lincoln christmas market but we had to take a day of our holidays to go i was lucky though because it was my day off anyway .i think council paid half the price for the coach

The only days outings I had was a trip to Alton Towers when I worked 'on the pop' for Alpine. We organised it ourselves though, and went in carloads. Great day out that one !

The only other 'works day out' was a trip to Wembly to see Forest in the Charity Shield when I was at The Raleigh; again this was organised by a lad at work.

I'd love to say it was great day out , but Forest won !!!.........(Only joking)

The only real problem of the day was as we were coming back up the M1 it seemed that every mile or so there was a Camms coach broken down on the hard shoulder, guess who coaches we were in ? ......Yup ! We got home safely though.