Nottingham's "Pea-soupers"

That's the way I remember it BK.  It wasn't what I would call a full blown island.  Sort of offset,  Gregory blvd came in from one side Alfreton rd A610 more or less went straight.  I used to ride the 22 from Hanley street to Stockhill lane.  Used to pass it every day in 1966.

• Like 2
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Back in the late 50s as a 9 year old my friend and I used to attend Lifeboys at The Albert Hall. It was an early evening midweek meet up and we used the bus to and from Beechdale. When we came out the

That's the way I remember it BK.  It wasn't what I would call a full blown island.  Sort of offset,  Gregory blvd came in from one side Alfreton rd A610 more or less went straight.  I used to ride the

Attended a funeral up Willford Hill it was that foggy they buried him in the hole, It was a grave mist-stake 

Posted Images

If memory serves correctly, there were three routes out of Handley Street, going that way. The 1, 7, and 22, ( the no.7 going to Bulwell), the other two into Aspley and Bells Lane. As a tiddler, I used to catch the no.7 to go to my Auntie Ethel, who lived on Cinderhill road, in a prefab near the entrance to the NCB xray centre (as was) Which, incidentally, was my last proper job in Nottingham. 

I discussed this photo which appeared on Fb a couple of months ago with Jill and she reminded me of it last night. I shows Gregory Boulevard to the left, Alfreton Road straight on and Radford Boulevard to the right. The lamppost will be at the bottom of Berridge Road. The roundabout and triangle shown. Not sure of the date but I don’t recall the building in the centre so guess it’s very early or pre 1950’s.

E588-B96-C-BFC7-4801-ACB0-18868-E97-F7-D

• Like 1

That would be the layout which I remember and mentioned in an earlier post. It looks like it wasn't a full roundabout, just a collection of islands and bollards.

It shows that Alfreton Road wasn't a straight line coming in this direction.

I also seem to remember the garage in this interesting image from Letsavagoo!

I also travelled to and from Hanley Street terminus to Nuthall Road for many years.

Anyone remember the pub opposite the bottom of Hanley Street. I ventured in once and with the characters in there it reminded me of a 'variety' perfomance. It looked to me as a kind of refuge form the harsher realities of life. Circa early 60's.

As an aside, can anyone remember when the concrete street lighting standards, shown in the image, were replaced?

When I  come to think about it, I never walked down Alfreton Road below Player street. That's where our GP was at no.1. Obviously passed that area when on the no7 bus, as a nipper, but didn't pay attention. It wasn't until 1962, when I were a conductor out of Bilborough that I took any notice. But I cannot, for the life of me, remember any of those islands, certainly when I started driving in 1964.