Oh dear Mary, sorry to hear of your sons ordeals but hope hes out of danger and worries now.

My son had a curious  thing happen, he had problems with his knee and they found a " type of hook" growing near the joint. I never found out what it was called but he was operated on and it was removed. Apparently its something to do with the growth rate and that part was growing quicker than the rest of his knee joint. Hes fine and never had any more trouble apart from having a big scar.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Be careful choosing your words Cliff !

I met Dr Cochrane many years after my birth, at a Nottingham Hospitals Radio do, and I slapped his backside. I considered it revenge as he did it to me in 1961.

Now there's a doctor who most of our women know Dr Cochrane? Remember having problems during pregnancy had to see Dr Cochrane at city hospital NOW DON'T LAUGH Being a young lass of 20 and never

Mary,I was interested to read about your son and Perthes Disease.  I nursed a couple of 6 year olds with this when I was working on the Children's Ward at Harlow Wood.  They were on traction for all the time I was on that particular Ward and they were very cheerful little lads.  I remember one day  I brought them some conkers I'd collected and they loved them - although they weren't able to play the proper game!

Perthes is caused by the blood supply to the femoral head being disrupted .... I doubt very much that it could actually change into a TB hip as tuberculosis is caused by a certain bacteria.  There were children in the Ward who did actually have TB joints, though.

Ian I remember being taken to the City hospital to visit my dad shortly before he died & we only got as far as the gatehouse near Hucknall Road entrance where we were refused access anywhere at the hospital due to being under 13 years of age, my two sisters were allowed in but my brother & I spent the afternoon waiting in the lodge by the entrance gate.

Very little compassion in those days.

• Like 1

In the ward my son was in, there were boys on their 2nd round of traction. Irritable hip can re-occur too. We had to watch out for our son limping again soon after him coming home. All this was just before we immigrated, so we really did cross our fingers that it didn't come back. 

Hi Katyjay yes its the same with "Perthers" they cure one hip only for it to go into the other Hip my son was lucky he only had it one side, Maggie we were told by the doctors that if left it could cause a TB hip thanks for putting it straight, we were also told that there is no cure for "Perthers" so all they do is rest the ball of the hip traction/opp and it repairs its self, my son is now in his 49th year and thanks to our new doctor at the time who sent us to the hospital, the "Perthers" was caught in time, all though my son was still in hospital for 2/3 years.

When our son started limping we took him to the doctor, who sent us to the hospital for a 2nd opinion. The doc there said, it is irritable hip and we are admitting him now. Kind of scary when you don't really know anything about it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Is 

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 6:40 PM, MargieH said:

I nursed a couple of 6 year olds with this when I was working on the Children's Ward at Harlow Wood.  

Is our MargieH on these photos of Harlow Wood prizegiving 1965? (Posted on another site by Heather Johnson)

Image may contain: 9 people, people smiling

Image may contain: 15 people, people smiling
  • Like 2

Thanks for posting those 2 photos, Oz.  I'm not on there as I left in 1963 but I do have some photos of my time there if I can find them.  What site were the photos on?

Thanks Oz.  I've now joined the Harlow Wood Fb group as well....   there are more photos on there.