• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Be careful choosing your words Cliff !

I met Dr Cochrane many years after my birth, at a Nottingham Hospitals Radio do, and I slapped his backside. I considered it revenge as he did it to me in 1961.

Now there's a doctor who most of our women know Dr Cochrane? Remember having problems during pregnancy had to see Dr Cochrane at city hospital NOW DON'T LAUGH Being a young lass of 20 and never

http://www.nottinghamhospitalshistory.co.uk/page103.html

I was born at Highbury Vale Maternity Hospital under Dr Jean Lesley Baker. My wife was born in the same year 1966 under the same doctor but she was at the Furs Unit on Mansfield Road in Sherwood, Apparrently it was common for doctors to fill in for each other during holiday periods

Strangley our first son was born at Nottingham City Hospital. The Doctor in charge of my wife and sons treatment was the very same

DrJean Lesley Baker who had delivered both myself and my wife back in 1966.

Apologies for the snippets of useless information

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello,

If anyone is interested in buying a book about The Firs/Abel Collins Maternity Home, it is fascinating.

I have bought a copy and love it. It fills in many blanks I have been searching many years to find.

The money goes to different Nottingham Charities...all good causes :jumping:

The author is David J. Hallam Jones

Copies cost 5 pounds each.

They can be ordered by calling 07928781022

There is also an excellent write up in the Nottingham June Bygones about The Firs as well as other Nottingham hospitals.

• Upvote 2

My twin sister & I were born in 1947 under the expertise of Dr Cochrane & Dr Loxton. Mum told us Dr C bet Dr L 20 Players cigs that one twin would be still born, 20 mins after Mary arriverd I came along weighing 2 & half pound, 68 years on I am still here to tell the tale. How wrong was he. My mum & dad very proud parents,& Dr C.20 cigs lighter.

• Upvote 2

Remember Dr Cochrane very well, in the early 70's my wife had a fairly troubled early second pregnancy and at 4 1/2 months started to hemorrhage in the early hours, the doctor who then called an ambulance and she was taken to Peel st women's hospital.

I drove down with my dad but was not allowed in to see her as she had been taken straight into surgery, we sat there for an hour or so then Dr Cochrane came and introduced himself and told me we had lost our second child to be, a little girl, but in his opinion it was a godsend !

I was pretty shook up, and my wife was devastated, but remember his words vividly to this day and also strangely enough his arms and hands which were very hairy.

It was a very sad occasion at the time but life went on and we ended up a few years later with twin girls and another final daughter who is now 29.

• Upvote 3
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I can recall going to the children's hospital twice, the first while playing with my best friends sister

I fell (or was I pushed ?) and gashed my left knee. My partner in crime ran off screaming, I thought

she had left me but she returned with her Dad who delivered me to the hospital. When I saw the Doctor

he told me all about the Birkin family wealthy lace manufactures who had given the building for the hospital,

funny what you remember. A history lesson and four stitches later I was delivered home for some TLC.

The second time was much the same, fell of the back of a lads bike gashed my right knee, three stitches.

Needles to say I never entered any lovely legs contests. What I do remember about the old children's hospital

was the Pease and quiet. No raised voices no clanking drinks machine's. I suppose they have got better facilities

at the QMC?

• Upvote 2

I bet she pushed you Sue B. The kids round there were like that :biggrin: I do remember you falling off the bike and gashing your knee, If only our Mams could have seen us on them bikes with the lads, they would never have let us out the house. :biggrin:

Remember Dr Cochrane very well, in the early 70's my wife had a fairly troubled early second pregnancy and at 4 1/2 months started to hemorrhage in the early hours, the doctor who then called an ambulance and she was taken to Peel st women's hospital.

I drove down with my dad but was not allowed in to see her as she had been taken straight into surgery, we sat there for an hour or so then Dr Cochrane came and introduced himself and told me we had lost our second child to be, a little girl, but in his opinion it was a godsend !

I was pretty shook up, and my wife was devastated, but remember his words vividly to this day and also strangely enough his arms and hands which were very hairy.

It was a very sad occasion at the time but life went on and we ended up a few years later with twin girls and another final daughter who is now 29.

I believe I was delivered into this world by Dr Cochrane!

Just read this thread back to the beginning now as I hadn't seen it before. There are some comments from some of you saying exactly what my mother had told me. Particularly about Dr Cochrane being very strict but a nice man. He also told my mother to stop smoking, but she never did. I don't remember her mentioning hairy hands! Doctors must have gone to wherever they were needed as I was born at City Hospital. We lived on Woodborough Road at the time.

• 1 year later...

Just looking at LizzieM and Cliff Ton's posts of 9th March 2014 I wonder if the former Abel Collin Trust Maternity Hospital was at 13 Waverley Street on the plot between Arthur Street and Burns Street? This building was called Waverley House - but is now Lovell House, being the infants school for Nottingham High School.

However, between about 1946 and 2007 it was the former PNEU school which I attended in the late 1950s/early 1960s. I remember it being said that the building had previously been used as a hospital and the room at the back that we used as the school cloakroom was the former operating theatre - and indeed I remember that that room still had a terrazzo floor and opaque glass in the windows.

As a result of Tim's new post I've had another look at a few maps and there definitely isn't anything marked on Waverley Street as being specifically a hospital.

And looking at 13 Waverley Street aka Waverley House, on directories around 1900 it is listed as being occupied by William Palmer. Maybe he was the doctor / surgeon etc who owned the place.

Dr Cochrane saved my mam and my sisters life when mam had a bad fall during late pregnancy,mam always said he was a very hairy man.

Anyone heard of Nurse Eaton who seemed to deliver most of the babies on the green .

I think our hopital's are wonderful, I had the best treatment last year when I became ill.........nobody must ever call the NHS to me.....

• Upvote 2

Mr Cochrane looked after SWMBO when our son was born.

She was sat in a corridor awaiting her first appointment with him when the door opened and a red faced woman appeared followed by the words "Now go and wash and don't come to me in that state again" or something close to that.

When it was her turn she went in with some trepidation and came out with the opinion that he was probably the nicest/gentlest bloke around.

• Upvote 1

A friend of mine said the same thing, as she sat there in the corridor, he yelled down the corridor, 'don't come back till you've had a bath'. This would be 1971.

• Upvote 1

I had my daughter at the firs 1970, i remember the name of Cochran but dont think I saw him I was under a female consultant but cant remember her name. Thinking about whats been said about having a bath / wash I remember my brother in law asking a scruffy old man if the smell he was wearing was the same one he had last year. More direct than that......