Just done a bit of fishing around into the history of number 48 the Ropewalk and I find that it was the former home of Robert George Hogarth who was a consultant at the Nottingham General Hospital and who died in 1953, bequeathing 48 the Ropewalk to be used by the hospital as a hostel for patients who came from outside the Nottingham area for radiation therapy treatment.

Can't think why I didn't look into this before because I have often wondered about the history of the building and it would seem that prior to my few weeks there in 1974, it had been used for this purpose for around 20 years.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Be careful choosing your words Cliff !

I met Dr Cochrane many years after my birth, at a Nottingham Hospitals Radio do, and I slapped his backside. I considered it revenge as he did it to me in 1961.

Now there's a doctor who most of our women know Dr Cochrane? Remember having problems during pregnancy had to see Dr Cochrane at city hospital NOW DON'T LAUGH Being a young lass of 20 and never

Jill,

Good research. You are quite correct. There was a ward named after Mr H at NGH. And what is nice to this day, two wards, Gervis Pearson and Hogarth have been relocated at the City Hospital so the memory lives on. I have hundreds of photographs of the former NGH ( I am the archivist to the Nottingham Nurses League) but have tried many many times to post photo's on here and despite very helpful comments from Mick T et al I still have no more idea that the man in the moon-too complicated.

Out of interest the 'radium' that was used on patients used to be buried in the caves under the General Hospital. I went down to have a look once. Quite fascinating.

Kind regards,

Tony

• Upvote 1

Fascinating stuff, Tony!

I was aware of the name Hogarth and of a ward by that name. Apart from the few weeks I spent at number 48, the only other experience of visiting NGH was in 1969 when my great uncle had been admitted. He was diagnosed with cancer and transferred to The Cedars, where he died.

My father's older sister, Mary, began her nursing training at NGH before WW2 and we have a lovely hand tinted photo of her in her uniform, complete with cape. As for posting photos or links to them...it's beyond me!

• Upvote 1

Thank you Jill,

If you are interested have look at FB, Nottingham Nurses League and Nottingham Hospital's History also FB

Hundreds of photographs, anecdotes etc

Kind regards

Tony

PS one of our members who is 95 years old trained at NGH during WW2 and has given us a fascinating account of the Nottm blitz.

• Upvote 1

I remember the name of Dr Minto from many years ago.

He was always in the courts in Nottingham pleading for someone as a defnce expert who was being sentenced for their crimes. He must have been easily led or was as daft as the defendents.

His clinical skills were top class but some saw him as the only chance of getting off a prison sentence.

I knew a few characters who would sit in the pub & openly brag of being able to get Dr Minto to represent them in court room. Very often escaping a prison sentence due to Dr Minto's skills in a courtroom.

• Upvote 1

Dr Alfred Minto was a consultant psychiatrist at Mapperley hospital.

He used to be in charge of the Addiction Unit at Mapperley hospital. Quite a pleasant chap.

Kind regards,

Tony

It was still open in the 80s as I recall going to see a colleague who had been admitted there after being hit in the eye with a shuttlecock during a game of badminton! What a mess! I was almost sick just looking at it but then we all know what a squeamish coward I am!

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Whilst looking for something else, I found the exact location of the Collins Maternity Hospital on Waverley Street which is mentioned several times earlier in this thread.

In local directories for 1922 it is listed as No. 10 Waverley Street, which puts it on the opposite side to what had been suggested. The building no longer exists; it has disappeared under extensions for the High School. It was on the corner of Waverley Mount - which also no longer exists.

waverleymap_zpswz8pkhdz.jpg

Today that corner looks like this; the brick wall is presumably all that remains.

waverley3_zpsi2xvdqvl.jpg

And in 1922 the Medical Superintendent was Jean Morton - probably not the same person who later became famous with Tingha & Tucker.

• Upvote 3

That is a great bit of research Cliff.

I had mistakenly assumed that the Abel Collin Maternity Hospital was in the Waverley House building on the opposite side of the road at 13 Waverley Street opposite the top end of the Arboretum. That building subsequently became the PNEU school ( which I attended in the late 1950s and early 1960s) and more recently Lovell House of Nottingham High School.

The reason for my mistake was that when I was at that school we knew the building had previously been a hospital - as the room used as the cloakroom was built as an operating theatre extension and still retained its terrazzo floor, frosted windows and a scrub room with sinks.

The next mystery is what hospital was based at Waverley House, 13 Waverley Street - a wartime hospital perhaps?

• 1 year later...

In 1968 I was 25 years old and the last photo actually does look like me at that age.... however, I never worked at Mapperley Hospital. 

If the penultimate photo were me, Jill, then I certainly wouldn't be here now!

On the second photo I think the chap standing with the nurse's is Dr Cochran,

Taking about the Children's Hospital my youngest son had been diagnosed with a hip disease and been admitted to Children's myself and my other son were going to visit him, not long driving after passing my test the traffic lights changed and another car hit me, they took my son to the hospital (children's) and decide to keep him in for the night, so both son's were in the children's at the same time, the nurse's thought it would be nice for them to be together so they were both on the same ward and bed's next to each other. Never have my two son's got on well together they just tolerate each other even to this day.  

• Like 2

Mary, was your son's hip problem called Irritable Hip? My youngest was diagnosed with this when he was 6 and had to go to the orthopedic hospital and be in traction fir 3 weeks. It apparently only affected boys.

• Like 2

Katy. James had the same problem. It was "noticed " when he and his sister went for dancing practice. The teachers were shouting at him for getting his steps and comportment wrong. Then he told me afterwards that his hip hurt him. Three weeks also in traction for him . Time to be discharged and he cried , he didnt want to go home . He was having a good time missing lessons

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
15 hours ago, katyjay said:

Mary, was your son's hip problem called Irritable Hip? My youngest was diagnosed with this when he was 6 and had to go to the orthopedic hospital and be in traction fir 3 weeks. It apparently only affected boys.

Hi Katyjay no he did not have irritable hip, he had a disease called "Perthes" disease it is were the hip ball keeps breaking up, mostly boys from the age of 5 to the age of 8 get it not many girls get it, if left untreated it can cause TB hip, my son was in traction for 12 weeks at children's  , they told us that he was ok, but if he limped again to bring him back. (when we played leap fog one day he fell and we did not think any more about it) this was the start. After being home from children's after a week he stated limping again, back we went only to get a telling off, we should not have taken him home he should have had his legs in plaster. Any way he had to go back in traction again for another 12 weeks, by this time he was transferred to City B1 now ward no longer there, but after traction he was put in what is called broom stick plaster this is where the legs are set outwards with a stick at the end (girls are put into what is called frog legs plaster) he was like this for about two years, (the worst thing was when we first arrived at the ward there was about 20 boys in broomstick plaster) my husband and I shed a few tear's not knowing what to expect. After 2 years they decided to operate, they put a plate and screws into the hip, this doe's the same thing as the broom stick plaster did, but he did not have to keep having it changed every few weeks, after 2 more years the plate is taken out and by this time the ball of the hip is not breaking up any more. 

so sorry it is long winded but it's the only way I could explain it.  

the disease is called "PERTHES" because this is the name of the man who discovered it.