• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Be careful choosing your words Cliff !

I met Dr Cochrane many years after my birth, at a Nottingham Hospitals Radio do, and I slapped his backside. I considered it revenge as he did it to me in 1961.

Now there's a doctor who most of our women know Dr Cochrane? Remember having problems during pregnancy had to see Dr Cochrane at city hospital NOW DON'T LAUGH Being a young lass of 20 and never

Thanks for the nice link Ray.

I remember the old Children's Hospital at Forest House all too well. Managed to get myself knocked down (well up in the air actually) by a Ford Consul when I was a kid. When I eventually landed it was with two broken legs, one in three places, and concussion. i remember doggedly trying to drag myself to my feet using a bus stop to hold on to and looking down to see my leg bend in the wrong place. They carted me off to that place in an ambulance where I remained for a week. With physio (learning to walk again basically) my young association with that hospital lasted a year though. They looked after me very well (I've gone on to run a few marathons as an adult so they did pretty well!) but I was scared stiff of the place as I thought they were going to take my legs away. I remember this view so well, being taken for physio by my mum:

NTGM017218.jpg

The kindest, kindest man, a jolly West Indian doctor, looked after me and made me smile - even though he was tasked with re-breaking my legs twice in operations as they had knitted crookedly. I wish I could thank him today.

That photo' brings back memories, I was always in/out of the place!!

Top of finger off (trapped in a door), stitches in wrist (fell out of tree in ,Bar Lane allotments, whilst scrumpin'), shot in leg (.77 pellet gun), all nurses were lovely, one I remember called everyone poppet!!

However, when I had xray on my leg, doctor told me mam that the pellet had travelled from thigh to below knee overnight!! ........................then apologies, as he had xray upside down.............me mam had nearly fainted

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Would anyone know which hospital would be used for maternity by people living in Gedling in 1950,I have a birth certificate for the baby i am researching and have found the entry in BDM on Ancestery.co.uk but i cant find the Hospital,i know it wasn't a home birth as most were in those days unless there were complications.

Hi Carni, could it have been Peel street? I know a lot of people of my age were born there

Rog

My folks were from Carlton and my elder sister was born at Highbury Hospital (Near The City Hospital) My brother and I were born at home.

Thank you all for you'r help, you have given me three hospitals to look into,but i'm not sure where to go from here,would anyone know were i could find records of births,that is if i would be allowed because of privacy protection, I had a brother born in 1950,who sadly died, mom told us of him but as that generation were brought up to not talk about things we never asked questions,it wasn't a secret, and as i am getting older i think about him more and more,i want to find out were he is buried if possible.

I think babies were also born at the City hospital, especially if there were potential problems. The doctors at the Firs were based at the City.

My twins were born at the Firs but my wife's outpatients were all at the City. I was born at Peel Street.

Annswaby

When i came to Notts in March, we went to the Council Houses and paid for a copy of his Birth Certificate,The information on it gives the address of the house we lived in at the time,but not the hospital he was born in,That was the reason i ordered it,but that information wasn't on it.

That seems odd as a birth cert records where born (in the first column, I think). Are you sure he wasn't born at home? If he wasn't, whoever supplied the information at the registration of his birth didn't give a true answer, for whatever reason. Would there be any reason why they might want to hide the info? Send me a pm if you'd rather not put the information on here.

Not sure what help this might give, but check how soon after the birth it was registered - that is to say, was it registered immediately (within a day or two) or was it left until some considerable time later, and who was the informant - father, mother or whoever. I don't expect you to post this information on here, but the answers might suggest some other lines of investigation. And although this is a very delicate question, and I hardly like to ask, do you also have the death certificate?

Thank you for the help you are offering me, my brother was born and died on the same day ,it is the death certificate i have, as i would have all the information i need on one record as he died at the hospital he was born in.on the certificate it says the Women s Hospital ,Does anyone know if this hospital still exists,When i spoke to the lady at the council houses she says there would have been a funeral.I hope if i can find the hospital i may be able to get more information.You'r help is appreciated.I am sorry i made the mistake of saying the wrong certificate and causing concern.

... it says the Women s Hospital ,Does anyone know if this hospital still exists,

Hi Carni, could it have been Peel street? I know a lot of people of my age were born there

Rog

There's your answer. The Women's Hospital on Peel Street. Unfortunately it no longer exists.

Just had a look on the Carlton/Gedling Cemetery database for burials and couldn't see anything there with what I think would be the right surname for 1950 . But if you want to search , go here and choose Cemetery Plot search from the left hand menu :

http://www.gedling.gov.uk/community/birthsdeathsmarriages/deathsfunerals/cemeteries/

DAVIDW

Thankyou for the link and i will see if i can find anything there to help me,i will have to wait until tomorrow for my son to help me as i get all confused with forms.i am not sure what you mean about the right surname though

DAVIDW

Thankyou for the link and i will see if i can find anything there to help me,i will have to wait until tomorrow for my son to help me as i get all confused with forms.i am not sure what you mean about the right surname though

L*** ? (From the School photo thread)

Peel Street for sure. My son was born there in August 1971. The hospital is no longer there. When I last passed there, maybe 13 years ago, it was a block of appartments and a pub. The pub was called "The Gooseberry Bush". Anyone from Nottingham should know why.