A chicken hatches (Quite a few pics)

And I was lucky enough to be there with my camera as it happened. (Not the best quality as I was photographing it happen through a perspex incubator)

6875676742_5b81c7ff94_b.jpg

6875679290_806272f46d_b.jpg

6875681574_cc96715f3f_b.jpg

6875685244_43c26184f2_b.jpg

7021793215_737db69e1a_b.jpg

6875692196_a37e1231ae_b.jpg

6875701690_42a8b36762_b.jpg

7021775467_0ff333a55c_b.jpg

The whole set is here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/beefsteak44/sets/72157629682397489/

You're a nice girl, and a happy Easter to you too, cough , cough !!

No Paul , we sponsored an incubator of 12 eggs for the local care home (Where SWMBO works) as a bit of occupational therapy for the resisdents and It all just sort of came together.

I just happened to be calling in to show one of the residents (Who loves our kids) our Charlottes prize for coming second in a "Build an Easter egg" competition at school. SWMBO mentioned that one of the eggs had started to crack earlier so I took the kids down for a look (I had my camera and 'small' lens with me as I'd been having problems with it (My bad , but that's another story !!) and was out and about to see if would clear. As we peared in to the incubator the crack started to expand, and the rest , as they say, is history, all in all it took about 30 mins from the first to the last photo.

As you can see , one or two (7 in fact) of the others had also started to crack and SWMBO informed me that one had completely hatched just before we picked her up from work. We are going to pop in tomorrow (SWMBOs day off) to see any other developments.

Believe it or not that's the first time I've ever seen it happen (Apart from our kids , but that's a totally different kettle of fish) and I only handled a chiick for the first time about 20 years ago !!

Nice story Beefsteak. It's good for the kids to see life as it begins; never will they think that eggs come from supermarkets.

Just been back with the kids and we have 12 out of 12 hatched

A couple of additions:- (That's paint on my lads fingers , he hasn't took up 'the dreaded weed' at the age of 5 !!

7024041091_cbfce674ba_b.jpg

7024039719_f8a7041095_b.jpg

7024039483_17323a3208_b.jpg

7024059879_da8dd47eed_b.jpg

• Upvote 1

I quite like the middle photo of your last post, the chicks face says it all!!

'Been awake all of an hour & your shuving a camera in my face!?? can a chick not get any peace around here?? jeez.'

I love that middle one too Pixie.

I like to think that he/she was the one that we saw hatch, as when I opened the incubator to pick him up he seemed genuinely pleased to see me !!

Thankfully they are going to a free range egg producers (well the females will!) when they are a bit bigger, the males (aledgedly) will be kept back for their selective breeding programme.

I intended having two of them but I was told that they had already been allocated out, so it looks like it will be on hold for a bit !

Incedentally I've found a local supplier of chicken coops that is only charging £99 for a 4 'birth' roost and run. The 'cheapest' (did you see what I did there !!) I can find on the internet for the same one is £125 ! So things are not always cheaper online

Some people use hutches & runs to keep their chickens in & they seem to live quite happy in them. Im a member of a few facebook selling pages & iv seen a chicken coop & run floating around on one of them, they only wanted £40!!

You have to be careful with second hand coops though, as they could have been infected by all sorts of bird related illness's. I'm not saying they will be, but at least you know where you stand if you buy new or make your own .

This is true, I never thought of that. Theres a guy behind the Lloyds TSB in netherfield who makes hutches, runs etc to order. Not sure how much he charges as I only buy my sawdust and hay from him, 1.50 for a huge bin liner... Lasts me ages!! If your still after one, you could allways try him if your localish?

I'm about 90 miles away ..LOL

But thanks for the info , I'll pop in next time I'm over and it'll give me an idea as to what I could get one for.

He's bin there for years, and you are right pixie he is very good.

If he has a phone number he may make stuff to order.

Ah sorry Beefsteak, i allways assume everyone on here is in nottingham & forget about people do actually live else were these days lol!!

& yep mick, he was there even when i was a child! I know someone who had a hutch from him around 10 years ago, still standing strong so he cant be too bad, he makes some beautiful things other than runs and hutches, My mum bought my daughter a beautiful christmas reindeer carved out of wood, a perfect little keepsake from her first christmas! :) At the moment, for me he's brill for my guinepigs sawdust and hay, alot cheaper than the shops by far!

Are we talking in that courtyard thing that you enter though the archway ??

Aye, as you turn into the carpark behind lloyds, through the archway, hes set back in the corner. Hes not open on wednesdays or sundays though.