Speak Nottinghamese

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you want to sing along? Ay up mi duck, ay y got a parnd Gooin darn tarn, meet me at the Lion Vodka through a straw, I'm already pissed up I'll spray some shapes so the girls all act up Gerrup, sta

2 hours ago, philmayfield said:

No, it’s true, I speak in Received Pronunciation BBC English. :biggrin:

Get thee behind me Satans spawn n talk proper!  :rulez:

• Like 1

There weren't any rich kids at my schools, you were posh if you had a snake belt and matching shoes!

• Like 2

Ya ad to tork and fink like a slum rat back in my day's..  LOL

2 minutes ago, Ayupmeducks said:

Ya ad to tork and fink like a slum rat back in my day's..  LOL

Don't know about your day Ayup., there's lots that can't talk any different nowadays.

10 minutes ago, Brew said:

There weren't any rich kids at my schools, you were posh if you had a snake belt and matching shoes!

Shoes? You were lucky.

For some of us, it was plimsolls in summer, wellies in winter. Not easy to run to the outside toilets in wellies, but at least you could warm your feet if you didn’t get there  quickly enough.

• Like 2

Rob, I can go one better than that and it's perfectly true. When about 10 years old there were a couple of us kids who only had wellies. In summer you rolled them down, in winter left up. When they got too tight the toe fronts were cut off !!, then they worn like sandals. I remember having some hand me downs and I thought they were the bees knees, Black sneakers with studs, Great ! Until I got to school and some bird said " Why are you wearing girls Netball Boots"? I was devastated...:sickly:

• Like 2
4 hours ago, philmayfield said:

You can get Yorkshire tea in Lewes? You'll be saying you can buy black pudding in Bournemouth next!

I'm not racist Phil, I'll buy and eat owt..

Oh goodness me, what have I stirred up here. Folk trying to outdo each other in the poverty and desolation stakes !

Ah Phil, but he owned it didn't he ?

• Like 1

In winter we sat round our dad to while he sucked a mint to keep us warm!!

Poor?? Ya don't know the meening pf poor. my poor old Dad used to work 30 hours a day dahn pit, then fetch us from skool, it were a ten mile hike all up 'ill, he'd carry all ten of uz on is back, then we'd ave dinner, old stale slice of bred, wi lard on it. 'ome wux a big old cardbord box wi a bit of raggy owd tarp ower it. Mam would go out nicking clothes and pegs off cloves lines on Mundays so as wi cud have cloves from cherch jumbul sales.. Damn it's hard spelling incorrectly.....LOL

1 hour ago, Ayupmeducks said:

wi lard on it

Lard, lard?... you posh b........

Shredded cardboard, what luxury ! We had to chew tree bark off Balsa tree to make paste and bake it under a magnifying glass and wring out dishcloths.

Used sump oil??? When I were a lad, used sump oil was a luxury, nobody but the rich owned cars, so we only had used sump oil on stale bread for Christmas dinner..

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Speak Nottinghamese