Speak Nottinghamese

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you want to sing along? Ay up mi duck, ay y got a parnd Gooin darn tarn, meet me at the Lion Vodka through a straw, I'm already pissed up I'll spray some shapes so the girls all act up Gerrup, sta

• 5 weeks later...

Trust me SD, there's a few in Nottingham wouldn't know either ! But why is it necessary to write it down as one word ?

Ooh. worri wee? worri wee issen? It might be said as one long line but... Just sayin' And I were born and bred in Radford, learned all me swear words there !smile2

PS. Welcome to NS.

• Like 1

I said the same things on here ages ago, no idea why folk thing they have to create one giant word. I struggle to read some of them and I'm a Sneintonian cum Cliftonite

Never mind Brew, you'll get better. Cliftonite, isn't that what Superman is allergic to ?  thumbsup

I've often questioned translations as to whether they are accurate or not. For eg., eyyagorraweeya ? is is translated as " Is your wife/ mother with you ? When actually the person is saying, " Have you got her with you " ? Please forgive Nottinghamese spelling, never could figure how it's supposed to be writ. B.

Let's all be honest, I've never heard people speak like that, especially these days,  and I bet most people haven't. It's all a fantasy, and is fictitious to say the least. Maybe a couple of generations ago, when people knew which class they were in, and made little or no effort to better themselves. Even people who live north of Redhill have finally learned how to string a coherent sentence together these days ! 

Grrrrr ! 

• Upvote 1

Yes, they're the ones with grazed knuckles and mullet haircuts. :crazy:

No Phil, it's only those on the west side of the A614 !

35 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

Ok, it's safe to get out of bed then!

And style your mullet before you go out looking for a fight!

• Upvote 1

I know a couple who used to live in Bulwell, born and bred. They have lived in Sussex for about 34/5 years and both are still broad Bulwell slang, and never lost it, unless of course she's answering the phone then it's all Hyacinth Bucket if you please. Not a dialect, but slang. Another angle in the opposite direction, a cousin moved from Nottingham up to Whitley bay. Within less than three weeks she was talking broad Geordie, as though she'd been there all her life ! On a personal level, I've tried to adapt, I no longer say yo or code and try to pronounce my h's in the right place, primarily to be understood. (My family used to say I'd gone posh !!).

No, not posh, just plain normal !  I just can't grasp this desire in some folks to demean and denigrate themselves.

51 minutes ago, MargieH said:

And style your mullet before you go out looking for a fight!

I’m off to Lincoln to collect my car. They’re all barmy there. It always has to go back after a service to sort out what they’ve cocked up at the service. Three years, three services three returns. Back to German cars I think!

4 hours ago, FLY2 said:

Let's all be honest, I've never heard people speak like that, especially these days,  and I bet most people haven't. It's all a fantasy, and is fictitious to say the least. Maybe a couple of generations ago, when people knew which class they were in, and made little or no effort to better themselves. Even people who live north of Redhill have finally learned how to string a coherent sentence together these days ! 

Grrrrr ! 

You don't ride the tram that often then...

3 hours ago, philmayfield said:

I’m off to Lincoln to collect my car. They’re all barmy there. It always has to go back after a service to sort out what they’ve cocked up at the service. Three years, three services three returns. Back to German cars I think!

Make sure you've got all your wheels on when you get back Phil.  slywink

• 8 months later...

Yo's in the fields, kickin' up his heels, if yo want him, yo go fetch him... while I keep conk 

Yeah yer can tell I went to Peveril School too!

On 10/24/2014 at 10:40 AM, PeverilPeril said:

Keeping conk was a regular term in Radford/Hyson Green for keeping a look out. Usually it was keeping conk for park keepers, coppers on the beat, teachers, spirit tapping or for another street nicking your bonfire rubbish.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Speak Nottinghamese