Speak Nottinghamese

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you want to sing along? Ay up mi duck, ay y got a parnd Gooin darn tarn, meet me at the Lion Vodka through a straw, I'm already pissed up I'll spray some shapes so the girls all act up Gerrup, sta

• 1 month later...

Many years ago I worked on the Trent Polytechnic building as an electrician and at lunchtime two or three or four of us used to go for a pint in the Dophin on North Church Street. One day one of the lads who lived in the Meadows told us it was his wife's birthday so we asked him what he had bought her, "An om pom" he said. A what? "an om pom" he said, what's an om pom? We asked. You know, he said, one of them kits a woman uses to do 'er own 'air. The rest us fell about laughing when we realised he mean a "Home perm".

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5
  • 5 months later...

Just listening to Notts TV and the Nottingham author Joy James was being interviewed about the "Nottingham accent" she says that our accent is really "ugly" and that women or ladies of Nottingham try to round the accent off so as not to sound too "ugly" Has this woman gone barmy,has she took leave of her senses how very dare she, ugly accent indeed

Rog

• Upvote 1

I meant to post this ages ago in this topic. There is an excellent little book by Richard Scollins ( i knew him slightly) called Ey up mi duck.

• Like 1

Hubby rarely uses words or phrases from Nottingham he's been here 40 years plus, duck slips out occasionally but the one that causes the most laughter is  going to "are arase" not sure about the spelling.

Good book Brew I often look at my copy and smile at some of the stuff in it, although we say these things every day it looks completely different when it's written down

Rog

• 2 weeks later...

Our girt (originally from Lincolnshire) didn't know what I wuz on abart when I told her to stay on the causey. And wuz totally flummexed when i told her we had to go up the entry to the back yard.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Even within the City limits the pronunciations varied. Even within my own extended family. For example there was 'factreh gel' speak and  'dahn pit' speak. There was even a difference between Medders and Ison Green. My mates in Bullwell were contaminated with a bit of Hucknall - a touch of thees, thahs and yoth. Of course I'm talking about over 60 years ago. When returning to Nottingham, over the years I have noticed a far less varied Nottingham speak. In fact I think that we have lost a lot of the dialect. It would indeed be fun, if at the next meet up, we all speak 'old Nottingham'.  :rolleyes: :biggrin:......gerrahtonit......

• Upvote 1

You are right................in the 60s the tuned ear could pick out the different dialects of the area reasonably accurately.

These days the Nottingham accent may not be RP but it is a blend of the rich variety of dialects we grew up with. 

• 3 months later...

I left Nottingham (and its environs) 45 years ago. I left the UK 31 years ago and yet, I can identify a Nottingham accent miles away (figuratively, that is - my ancient ears have suffered the ravages of time).

I'm not so good now at identifying the nuances of the various Nottingham areas but Uckna and Bo-ul stand out as being quite characteristic - having been brought up very local to them.

One of my reasons for joining NS was to maintain a link with my past and to try and re-learn how to speak proper like wot yo do. Let me say, it's not easy but, I'm slowly getting there.

• Like 3
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Speak Nottinghamese