Speak Nottinghamese

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you want to sing along? Ay up mi duck, ay y got a parnd Gooin darn tarn, meet me at the Lion Vodka through a straw, I'm already pissed up I'll spray some shapes so the girls all act up Gerrup, sta

On December 3, 2017 at 6:45 AM, meeowed said:

gerrof te beeroff und gu through twitchell   Alley way between the back to back houses   Meeowed

Entry and Twitchell - got to be only in Nottingham

• Like 1

I'm finding written Nottinhameze far more difficult than spoken. In the above examples, if I annunciate the text, it all comes back to me.

I'll soon be back speakin it like a gud 'un.

Very true, Jonab.  It drives my IPad nuts.  :biggrin:. If I ever try to write anything in the Notts dialect it immediately flags it as a misspelling and tries to change it.  Usually change it to something totally irrelevant to what you are trying to say.

7 hours ago, PeverilPeril said:

I would give first place for Nottinghamese to Benjamin for his - Entenyonyergorrenyonyer?

Peveril 

Took me a minute, but got it - but ayentgoroteonmi 

• Like 2

I listen to Audible books while riding my bike and last night I finished “Cold in Hand” by John Harvey (recommended by this site). The book was pretty good but the English narrator could not get the accent. For example he pronounced Basford as B“ass” instead of B“ace” and Sneinton as Sn“ain” instead of like Sn“ent”. I just downloaded “Darkness, darkness” and there is a different narrator. The story takes place in the mining towns in north Notts, which if I recall correctly, has more of a Sheffield accent. Lots of gewin t’t pub etc than the much more refined accent from us city dwellers.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I think it's worth mentioning that soldiers who'd been away in the war bought back some words which crept in to everyday speech. My dad hadn't been in the army as he was in the NFS during WW2 but still said Jaldi meaning hurry up. There were others but I can't recall them now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 30 May 2018 at 8:55 PM, IAN123. said:

Best one i ever heard was in the Two 

Beavers Cafe on Alfreton Rd.

Young girl came in looking for a soft drink.

"Gorranypoporowt"?

I recon Two Beavers cafe was run by Mrs Barry St Ives.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

My dad said that, he was in Burma and India during the war, wonder if it was one of the words he brought back with him, like coggage for newspaper, decko for look etc. 

• Like 1

According to dad it's an Arabic word he heard whilst serving in Egypt although I bet no Arab ever pronounced it the way we do.

Following Jonabs post - why do we run all the words together when writing Nottinghamese?

As in:   Entenyonyergorrenyonyer?   It's easier if we write Ent eny on yer gorr eny on yer   and it makes sense...…..?

Just a thought..

• Like 2

Re SNAFU and FOOBAR (that should read FUBAR). I thought they were British army acronyms. As a kid, I remember a cousin (big-wig in the army) using them liberally and me getting a clip round the ear when I asked what they meant. There were others but they weren't so popular and I've forgotten them.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Speak Nottinghamese