Speak Nottinghamese

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you want to sing along? Ay up mi duck, ay y got a parnd Gooin darn tarn, meet me at the Lion Vodka through a straw, I'm already pissed up I'll spray some shapes so the girls all act up Gerrup, sta

On 4/15/2008 at 3:29 PM, Beefsteak said:

Who admits to being one of them?

Reading an old forum about old Nottingham sayings, that eventually got onto 'Notts or Forest' banter, Beefsteak's comment reminded me of a Forest v. Notts game (old First Division and well before the Cloughie era). I was with my Dad and we always stood ('stood'...remember those days?) in the same spot and were familiar with other Reds fans in the same patch. There were 2 unfamiliar figures there, that night, but we didn't take much notice as they were very quite.....until Notts scored! They clapped politely and said 'Good goal!' Then Notts scored a second goal and they opened their overcoats to reveal BLACK & WHITE scarves and they became very vocal in their support!  We Forest supporters gave them some right, light-hearted, stick! "Oh! So we've got some County supporters, have we. Daren't reveal who you are till you scored 2 lucky goals!" Those Magnificent Reds were beaten 2-0...at home....to Notts County!!

My Dad was a small, polite, humble man but down at the City Ground he'd argue with anyone no matter what their size! He supported Forest through thick and thin and attended nearly all home games from, I don't know, the 1930s? Sadly, he died just as Cloughie had got Forest back in the First Division in 1977. He never got to witness those magnificent, halcyon days when we swept away all before us at home and in Europe.

• 1 year later...

Is “nesh” a Nottingham word ? (as in being muffled up when it’s not that cold) I just used it today as I was walking round the house in 4 layers and a scarf. Not that I’m trying to save on fuel costs or anything. 

On 1/26/2021 at 12:24 PM, Jill Sparrow said:

I understood there had been a lot of inbreeding which led to some rather strange outcomes but I suppose that would apply to any small village in times gone by.  When I first moved there, virtually everyone I spoke to was related to the next person I spoke to!  Quite disconcerting.

I was a very keen cyclist before my body gave up and so being interested in cycling I have read up on the history of the bicycle. Not quite in living memory but not far off, it was not uncommon for someone to be born, live and die without travelling outside the area they were born in. Consequently marriage to close relatives was quite common. When the bicycle became popular, cheaper and available, young men in particular would get out of their immediate residential area and meet girls from more distant towns and villages. So the humble bicycle is acknowledged as improving the gene pool. 

• Upvote 1
  • 10 months later...
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Speak Nottinghamese

When we lived in South Africa first time I went to the green grocer's I ask for 1LD  nobby greens,  did I get a disgus  look from the shop keeper.

Was down in Surrey on a vist to see master's county cousin's  ice cream van came around cous ask what i wanted an orange sucker please said I WELL !!! you could have cut the air with a knife.

WARNING      If ever you visit Germany never, ever , ask for a carton of mushy pea's its seems it's a very rude in Germany.

Going back to South Africa when my eldest started school,  just arriving from the UK he had a little bit of Nottinghamshire in him. One day the teacher ask me to go in and see her, Can I ask ,  said the teacher what,  is buuuter, and buuuueesss???  well i could not help but smile. it must have r=taken me an hour at least to explaine 

Not to far away from Nottm is a place called Hucknall  we moved there in the 70s. I thought that after living in St Anns i had heard nearly all Nottm sayings,  but my neighbour from Hucknall one  day said      "Are yu goin down pad then" I did not have a clue what he had said.  What he meant was

Are you going  down the path .

My Mum was beautifully spoken, despite growing up in the Meadows she was well ‘self-educated’ and a brilliant user of the English language.  Dad also spoke with little accent but I heard the ‘Nottingham’ in him very clearly when we spoke on the phone.  My English teacher at grammar school thought I’d had elocution lessons, which I hadn’t, my parents couldn’t have afforded that.  Living in the Home Counties for 30 years never changed my accent, I never spoke with a ‘southern accent’ but since returning to Nottingham I can turn on the Nottinghamese when I want to but it’s usually as a bit of a joke, I know my Mum would cringe.  
But at the end of the day, you can take the girl out of Arnold but you can’t take Arnold out of the girl.

I seem to have more of a Nottingham accent when I am with other Nottingham-ites! I spose its cuz I know everybody ull no woram talking' abaht  midducks. Although I have lived at Eastwood a long time I have never absorbed the place. It's just a convenient place to live.

I speak Nottinghameze  when with family or others from Nottingham. Like many I developed a kind of chameleon like way of adapting to differing dialects it is sort of like an ability to hear the music of a dialect. One thing I always held onto wherever I was in the world was the use of the short A sound in all usage. So I laffed not larfed  and bathed but not barthed.  I do dislike toff lingo like what Liz + Phil used and Charlie does now and Jacob R.M. et al. I think that in many settings language serves to divide us. 

• Like 1

It is coming on one year since I lost my brother and I really do miss our "putting the world to rights" chats and discussing good beers and single malt whisky. I especially remember the times when he lapsed into broad Nottinghamese that I had to ask him to slow down as I could not understand him due to the speed and accent. We were born and brought up in Bliduth and even after almost 50 years in Oz I have not lost my accent but trying to understand my brothers accent over the phone was hard and often had to stop him and ask for explanations.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I've just been reading through this thread, very interesting and brought back some memories. I've not lived in Nottingham since 1976 (although obviously been back many times to visit family) but I still mash my tea and have cobs for my snap. 

I was once in a tea room in Hunstanton and said to the waitress "I'll have a slab of that bread pudding " . She said "you won't, you'll have a SLICE of that bread pudding "!

Some words I  remember from my childhood 

Duddoos, tuffies or goobs for sweets

Tabs for ears (get yer tabs washed, you've got taters growing out of em!)

Neb for nose and tegs for teeth. 

Starved for being cold not hungry.

Coursey for pavement. 

And does anyone remember frozen jubblies? 

• Like 2

I remember Duddoos; and I thought the word was embarrassing even when I was a kid; likewise Tegs.

My grandma in Radford always said Coursey for pavement; I never heard anyone else use it.

With frozen jubblies you'd suck the flavour out of them and then be left with a lump of ice. I could never actually eat one in the normal way.

Coursey was and probably still is short for causeway, was told to stay "on causey" whenever walking along the streets

Rog

• Like 1

My owd Ma used to say that to us ragged arsed kids, "Keep on coursey yo lot"! In other words, don't stray into the road. Like we intended to dodge between cars, which we did of course. I've still got the scar  on me forehead to prove it. 

• Like 1

Nottinghamese was never spoken in our house when I was growing up, even though I grew up in Arnold, my Mum was from the Meadows and Dad from Lenton.  It’s only since returning to Nottingham 19 years ago that I make the occasional Nottinghamese comments, such as calling my husband ‘duck’!  I remember when we first came back here and he (being a Southerner) looking aghast when a shopkeeper called him duckie!   To be honest when living in the Home Counties for 30 years no-one could tell where I originated from, which I was happy about, our local accent isn’t harsh like Scouse or Brum but I like being ‘middle England’ 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If anyone watched Vicky McClure My Gradads War last night his accent reminded me of old Nottingham . 

I missed some of it but believe the 97 year old grandad was from the Meadows. 

Good to see random people going up to him and thanking him , shaking his hand when he revisited the Normandy beaches and memorials.

• Like 1

He was indeed a Meadows lad. Trained at the Co-Op as a butcher, then enlisted.

As I recall,  he had a butchery stall on Central Market until it closed.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
On 6/5/2023 at 10:32 PM, LizzieM said:

I make the occasional Nottinghamese comments, such as calling my husband ‘duck’!  I remember when we first came back here and he (being a Southerner) looking aghast when a shopkeeper called him duckie!   To be honest when living in the Home Counties for 30 years no-one could tell where I originated from, which I was happy about, our local accent isn’t harsh like Scouse or Brum but I like being ‘middle England’ 

Similar to the Wife Lizzie.......she been up here 37 years now....but she has no accent.to speak of..although she does use some of our Nottingham words now....like..'EY-UP DUCK...When i say 'no accent'...she does have one that is unique to her....all her family are from Devon with quite broad Devonian speak....but Donna was brought up in Cambs.........and so i sometimes detect a little bit of Devon mixed with Cambridgeshire.......no one can place her speak''

Anyway the reason i mention all that is about an hour ago a chap delivered us a Parcel.....and strange enough i detected a bit of Donna's speech.and said'' have you got some Devon in you?...turned out his background was very much same as Donna's....born in Devon...grew up in Ely Cambs but has lived in Notts for 40 years.........he was amazed that i guessed his Devon roots......and said no one has ever guessed that before up here.........

Thought i'd tell you all about that......hope it didn't Bore you......:biggrin:

• Like 2