Speak Nottinghamese

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you want to sing along? Ay up mi duck, ay y got a parnd Gooin darn tarn, meet me at the Lion Vodka through a straw, I'm already pissed up I'll spray some shapes so the girls all act up Gerrup, sta

• 1 month later...

Keeping conk was a regular term in Radford/Hyson Green for keeping a look out. Usually it was keeping conk for park keepers, coppers on the beat, teachers, spirit tapping or for another street nicking your bonfire rubbish.

• Upvote 1

Someone used to keep conk for the teacher at Trent Bridge Seniors. Unfortunately Mr Marciniak snuck in by a different corridor so evading the lookout & caught me in the act of drawing a male appendage on the blackboard, of course I suffered pain for it..

• Upvote 1

"And I kept conk" crops up in quite a few court cases in the Evening Post , earliest I could see was 1919 and then are there mentions up to 1949 .

• Upvote 2
  • 2 months later...

I can always remember playing marbeles on the cobeled streets of Hyson Green as a youngster in the late 50s, a shout of "no notes" would go up, meaning no rules!

Or me Dad would tell me to "ge or a bit now then", meaning to stop moaning, or whinging.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

My Mrs is Russian and speaks perfectly good English, but does have problems with dialect. I have problems with Russian dialect.

For some years, whenever there was something to do, which needed doing, but she was unwilling to do, and I had a tad of frustration, I would often say "I'll goomesen" For years she thought I was swearing at her. She actually used that term, pronounced perfectly, and challengingly but totally out of context, in a pub in London. She thought she was saying something like "Stuff you" (or worse) , but after some discussion ( and some hilarity on my part) that I explained. Her reply now is "gerrtityersen then" in a totally authentic Nottingham accent.

• Upvote 4
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Speak Nottinghamese