Dennis J M

Speak Nottinghameze

Gemcorma    8

Many years ago I worked on the Trent Polytechnic building as an electrician and at lunchtime two or three or four of us used to go for a pint in the Dophin on North Church Street. One day one of the lads who lived in the Meadows told us it was his wife's birthday so we asked him what he had bought her, "An om pom" he said. A what? "an om pom" he said, what's an om pom? We asked. You know, he said, one of them kits a woman uses to do 'er own 'air. The rest us fell about laughing when we realised he mean a "Home perm".

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

plantfit    3,557

shudda leritt cooloff then

Rog

• Like 1

plantfit    3,557

Just listening to Notts TV and the Nottingham author Joy James was being interviewed about the "Nottingham accent" she says that our accent is really "ugly" and that women or ladies of Nottingham try to round the accent off so as not to sound too "ugly" Has this woman gone barmy,has she took leave of her senses how very dare she, ugly accent indeed

Rog

• Upvote 1

Bubblewrap    3,661

What about the "Birmingham" accent?

How can three million people have a speech impediment ?

Brew    455

I meant to post this ages ago in this topic. There is an excellent little book by Richard Scollins ( i knew him slightly) called Ey up mi duck.

• Like 1

Gem    599

Hubby rarely uses words or phrases from Nottingham he's been here 40 years plus, duck slips out occasionally but the one that causes the most laughter is  going to "are arase" not sure about the spelling.

plantfit    3,557

Good book Brew I often look at my copy and smile at some of the stuff in it, although we say these things every day it looks completely different when it's written down

Rog

meeowed    102

Put peg int hole un put sneck on giz me ganzi its gerrin cowd and put sum sleck ont fire

• Like 1

plantfit    3,557

Gerrout the rode.I'll do it me bleddysen

Rog

• Like 1

Waddo    25

Our girt (originally from Lincolnshire) didn't know what I wuz on abart when I told her to stay on the causey. And wuz totally flummexed when i told her we had to go up the entry to the back yard.

• Like 1

meeowed    102

gerrof te beeroff und gu through twitchell   Alley way between the back to back houses   Meeowed