Oldox or Hodox camp, Oxton

Anybody ever visited this?

I walked over there a few years ago and it's pretty interesting if you like that sort of thing (as I do) - the remains of an ancient hill fort lying there in the grass. I've always been fascinated by the very pronounced mound adjacent to it too which looks man made.

For the uninitiated, it's quite easy to get to. Park up in the rear car park of the Green Dragon pub in Oxton and there is a quite pronounced path heading away from the pub leading through open fields. The camp is eventually reached to the right of the path after a short stroll.

Oldox or Hodox camp, Oxton

13669.jpg

13671.jpg

• Upvote 1

There's a good view over no less than four counties up there as well Kev. Did see a nice-looking walk through to Farnsfield from there one time but have not tackled it yet.

• 1 month later...

A little more about the old camp. There's also some interesting stuff about Fox Wood, Calverton and finds at Dorket Head and elsewhere.

'The two best preserved sites are at Fox Wood, Woodborough 22 and Old Ox Camp, Oxton 23. Fox Wood has produced Roman pottery but nothing which has been described as prehistoric. Fieldwalking on the ridge on which Fox Wood is sited and where there are cropmarks has produced a similar story. In terms of size and plan form, if the earthworks were levelled and the site transferred to the Trent Valley, the resulting cropmark would be difficult to distinguish amongst the others. Old Ox Camp certainly looks good on plan, until it is realised that it is not on the hill top, but rather is nestled into a hollow between hills and is utterly indefensible. It is an interesting and problematic site, but not a hillfort and probably not Iron Age .'

http://www.le.ac.uk/ulas/publications/documents/20nott1stmill_000.pdf

• 10 years later...
On 3/29/2012 at 11:55 PM, .... said:

Park up in the rear car park of the Green Dragon pub in Oxton

Talking of pubs in Oxton, which we weren't I see that "Ye Olde Bridge Inn" at Oxton has won the county's best pub in the National Pub and Bar awards.

Fond memories of drives in the country with Mum, Dad and my brother stopping for a dandelion and burdock and a bag of crisps for us, a half of mild for dad and a port and lemon for mum in some of the pubs in the area. The Green Dragon and Bridge at Oxton, the Magna Carta at Lowdham. The Unicorn at Gunthorpe Bridge was my favourite as it had the swingboats in the little fair by the side of the river.

• Upvote 1

You reminded me of a trip over to the UK. We were showing the country to a couple of American friends. We had been to a show in London then popped into a pub afterwards. I asked for a port and lemon, a drink I hadn't had in years. The young barman gave me a glass of port with a slice of lemon in it! Obviously a new drink to him.

• Like 1