Let's av yer recipies

Hi poohbear,small town America has been hit with a huge virus called Wal-Mart.these are mega stores.

You really can buy anything.

If youv'e been over here then you will know about 'Wallyworld'.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have quite a few recipes for bread without kneading. Just mix roughly leave to rise take out of bowl and fold a few times and more or less it's done. If you want recipe just ask .

Wal-Mart now owns ASDA (including GEM West Bridgeford) here.

The clothing designer brand 'George' that you see in Wal-Mart is from ASDA.

Here are two recipes that I use regularly; both are easy to make:

This first recipe is for a dry vegetarian dish from Maharashtra. Beans and potatoes are a world famous combination and here they are further enhanced with spices and coconut:

PAVTA BATATA (POTATO AND BUTTER BEANS)

Serves 4

Preparation time 10 minutes + overnight soaking

Cooking time 30 minutes

150g (5oz) butter beans, soaked overnight

3 tablespoons sunflower oil

1 teaspoon black mustard seeds

Large pinch of asafoetida

1 medium onion, chopped finely

1 teaspoon turmeric powder

1 teaspoon chilli powder

1 teaspoon coriander powder 300g (10oz) potatoes, peeled and cubed Salt

4 tablespoons coconut, grated if fresh, or desiccated

4 tablespoons coriander leaves, chopped

Method:

1 Cook the beans in plenty of water, until they are cooked but not too soft.

2 Heat the oil in a separate pan and fry the mustard seeds. When they pop (a few seconds) add the asafoetida and onion. Fry until the onion becomes translucent.

3 Add the powder spices, potatoes and salt and mix well. Add a little water and cook until the potatoes are soft.

4 Gently mix in the cooked beans, coconut and coriander leaves. Serve hot. Picture below.

scan0015.jpg?gl=GB

Ginger Garlic Potatoes

(Cubes of potatoes encrusted with a spicy, crisply browned,ginger-garlic paste.) Serves 4-5:

1lb 6 oz (625g) potatoes

A piece of fresh ginger, about 2 by 1 by 1 inches (5 by 2.5 by 2.5cm), peeled and coarsely chopped

3 cloves garlic, peeled

3 tablespoons water

1 teaspoon ground turmeric

1 teaspoon salt.

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper,

5 tablespoons vegetable oil

1teaspoon whole fennel, seeds.

Boil the potatoes in their jackets. Drain them and let them cool completely. Peel the potatoes and cut them into 1 inch (2.5cm) dice.

Put the ginger, garlic, 3 tablespoons water, turmeric, salt, and cayenne into the container of a good processor or blender. Blend until you have a paste.

Heat the oil in a large, preferably non-stick frying pan over a medium flame. When hot, put in the fennel seeds. Let them sizzle for a few seconds. Now put in the ginger-garlic paste. Stir and fry for 2 minutes. Put in the potatoes. Stir and fry for 5-7 minutes over a medium-high flame or until the potatoes have a nice, golden-brown crust on them.

Can't imagine Tesco being a threat to Wal-Mart.

'Wallyworld' is a massive industry,I would think Tesco will have to purchase wholesale from 'Wallyworld'.

I did know about ASDA being gobbled up by the 'EvilEmpire'.

dgbrit

Tesco have started to invade the US?

They have also invaded Sri Lanka:

007.JPG?gl=GB

Don't know about Tesco (who is their parent company?), but ASDA is owned by Wal-Mart, who also own the Sams warehouse stores and Lowes hardware stores!

Regarding India in the states, yes, it is (slowly) catching on. I was very surprised when visiting my son in New Hampshire last November that he suggested we go for Indian - it was very good too, but not many folks in the restaurant on a Saturday evening so I don't know if it will last!

Rice pudding

1/2 cup rice

1/2 cup shredded coconut

1/2 cup sugar

1/4 cup raisins

2 pints milk

noggin butter

sprinkling ground nutmeg

Put all the ingredients into an oven proof dish,cook on 350 for 11/2-2hours,or untill rice has absorbed all the milk.Serve with a small amount of fresh whipping cream poured over the rice,naughty but nice. :tongue:

We do have a fairly large Indian (east) population in the greater Detroit area - mostly centered on Farmington. There are several good Indian owned stores in that area to buy great spices and curry powder (yeah, I know, you don't use curry powder to make "real" curry!) but there does not seem to be any really good Indian restaurants - strange, huh?

A great way to improve chili - I use the packet of chili mix (McCormick I think), and use either ground beef or ground turkey. Cook it in a crock pot and add either chopped onion or leek to the mix AND, a good tablespoon of curry powder! It gives it a great flavor a little different from run-of-the-mill chili. If I am in the mood, a dash or two of Worcestershire sauce is a good addition too!

Which reminds me Eric..

On Recent 'US Air' flights to the states, one of their complimentary drinks was Mr & Mrs T's Bloody Mary Mix.

Non alcoholic but nevertheless delicious. Sounds like it might have similar content.

Sadly not available in the UK?

Perhaps I could ask Costco to get it in?

Take some left over pork, veg, roast taters, put in blender and blend, add some balsamic vinegar, 'Magi' seasoning, garlic and tomato puree, a little Chinese 5 spice, a stock pot In about a litre of boiling water, (some of you may need to ge a responsible adult to help boil a kettle at this point) blend it all up. When it's blended place in large saucepan and (depending on how much veg/ meat/taters you started with) add more boiling water to your desired thickness, and boil up. Serve with crusty bread and butter and enjoy!!

I used to add half a pot of cream but it's not too good for you!

All very filling and healthy. (Well apart from the butter !)

Just made a big pan full and can't wait till teatime

Mick - yep, Mr & Mrs T's is a very good bloody mary mix - but if you can't get it (and Costco "may" be able to), try using original V-8 juice and add a dash of Worcestershire sauce! If you get really brave, also add about 1/2 tsp. of horseradish!

Sounds very nice Beefsteak - promble is that I will have great difficulty in not making a big fry up with the leftovers.

Compo,try hot/sweet mango chutney with the Paneer fritters.

Used to like "Major Grey" mango chutney but haven't seen it for some time now.

This side of the US its Mexican food , Burritos,Tacos,Chimmichungas, Quasadias,Chillis. Etc

Im not to keen on the really hot peppers but like most of the things.

As for the Tesco store they are like small conveniance food market but have quite a lot of English goods

& their own brand ground coffee they sell is the best cheap too.

They give reward $ that go on Card that can be credited at the checkout at any time,I just cashed out ,Weetabix mushy peas ,Sarsons vinegar & sweets.

Dinner today: Tomatoes on toast.

Tea: Potato and butter bean curry and basmati rice.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone got any good jamaican recipe's? Was in vic market the other day & i walked past a shop that sells jamaican/african etc foods, near the back, i assume alot of you know where i mean. I want to try and cook something different to the typical chicken rice and pea's, so what other dishes are there? im sure theres loads! I want to try some plantin, but how would you cook or eat it? .. What would you have yams with? I love yams but never had them as part of a meal, i was told they are sweet potato? Soo, any recipe's or suggestions are greatly appreciated