Let's av yer recipies

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have quite a few recipes for bread without kneading. Just mix roughly leave to rise take out of bowl and fold a few times and more or less it's done. If you want recipe just ask .

When on my own I'm a big fan of 'reachme' cooking. Stand in front of the cupboard and whatever tins you can reach gets radiated, job done. 

• Upvote 1

I am a rubbish cook. Never been interested. I do enjoy the results of good cooking by Mrs PP though and make certain that her skills and efforts are appreciated. I used to cook fish and crabs etc outdoors over a fire with reasonable results and now turning my attention to garage cooking. The kitchen is just not my place, so I have been cooking trout in the garage. I have a decent stock of trout of between 3 and 8 lb each in the freezer and have been cooking them in a fish kettle over a double electric hob. The trout are cleaned and head and tail removed. add a few knobs of butter and some sea salt. Make up liquid with a court bullion fish stock cube in a pint of boiling water. Add a third pint of white wine or my own cider. Simmer for 25 to 40 min depending on size of fish. Serve up a half to eat for two with salad, veg and spuds. Save half the trout and the stock to make chowder with mussels and prawns the following day. Chilled Muscadet or Sancerre helps with consumption.

This is my crude way of doing it and looking for advice on how to improve.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Today its freezing cold.Yesterday we were sitting in the sun. So tonight we are having something to warm us up.

Slices of raw veal with a hot Bagna Cauda sauce. (Garlic and anchovy).If you like garlic, try it if not, don't knock it. It really does warm you up.

• 2 weeks later...

The 16" fish kettle arrived last week. Lovely professional quality £22 of fleebay. My 24" kettle is just too big and unwieldy for normal trout.

Tried it out on a 3 lb Blue trout from Carsington reservoir caught in March. My fish are always cleaned before freezing so just needed to cut off head and tail and give a final rinse. It looked just right in the new kettle. Less stock required and heated up quickly. Cooking time 25 min.

I did note and agree with the comments about sauce to go with trout, however there are sometimes exceptions.

Being a keen trout fisherman for over 50 years means I have seen and eaten all sorts of trout from all sorts of places. Trout can vary considerably in species (or sub species),  condition, size and taste. A wild brown trout of less than a pound from a vast Highland Loch could be 15 years old, while a Farmed Rainbow trout of 6 lb from a 2 acre lake may only be 2 years old. So it is difficult to generalise about trout. Some farmed, or out of condition trout are quite bland and may need a sauce of some sort. 

Before lock down this season I have caught many types of trout. Rainbow, Blue, Tiger, Brown and Spartic trout. For eating and the fighting qualities I have found the Blue trout beats them all. 

• 2 months later...

This morning my neighbour gave me a bag full of courgettes. I had aubergines and peppers in fridge so I concocted a mix of veg for the next couple of days. I cooked some potatoes for 10 mins. Sautéed sliced courgettes mixed them together with a little basil. When they were lukewarm I added some EXtra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, paprika and plenty of black pepper. Covered it in cling film and left it in the fridge all afternoon. Dished it up for my tea and it's really nice. The other one I made a sort of caponata with aubergines , courgettes, onion, peppers and tomato. That's for tomorrow. Still have some cooked courgettes left so thinking about making them into a burger. It's far too hot to eat meat or even chicken.

I have quite a few recipes for bread without kneading. Just mix roughly leave to rise take out of bowl and fold a few times and more or less it's done. If you want recipe just ask .

• Like 1