Let's av yer recipies

The first time I ordered steak tartare in France I nearly threw up when the waiter broke a raw egg over it. Raw minced steak I could manage but I detest eggs in all forms and raw was just too much. That was long before the salmonella scare. When I was a sickly child my mother was ‘advised’ to serve me raw egg mixed in milk and I’ve detested both ever since. All the other disgusting foreign food I have sampled. It’s only proper that we should try it so we can appreciated how those people who are not fortunate enough to live here have to suffer. :)

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have quite a few recipes for bread without kneading. Just mix roughly leave to rise take out of bowl and fold a few times and more or less it's done. If you want recipe just ask .

1 hour ago, jonab said:

OK, my dinner last night was steak tartare Niçoise style - that is finely chopped (not minced or otherwise machine processed, it must be chopped by hand to get the right texture) good quality steak (filet, preferably) formed into a patty placed on a bed of salad leaves. A small depression is made on the steak patty, the egg is broken in half and the half-shell (with contents) placed on the steak. The dish is served with finely chopped shallots, cornichons (tiny gherkins), anchovies and (preferably) Niçoise olives.

The idea is to mix your own combination of steak, egg, shallot, cornichon etc. to suit yourself. I like a few drops of Worcestershire sauce with it as well.

Goes down nicely with some fresh bread and a glass or three of the local red.

A good cheese to follow.

Superb!

If you order this in a restaurant, be aware of what it is. Please don't do what I've seen tourists here do and that is to send their meal back and ask for the steak to be well done and the egg to be hard boiled. Anyone with a palate like that would be better served by McDonald's.

Carne cruda ( raw meat) its called here and I agree it has to be chopped with a knife. We also serve it very very thinly sliced  sprinkled with EVO and topped with parmesan shavings, celery sometimes and truffles. 

It does give you an impression but it really is nice. I was years before I could eat it . Dont think I could face the egg though. 

Being married to an Italian and living here Ive learnt to eat a lot of things and love them but there are some things I will not touch.

Today we are ( my daughter and I) eating melanzane parmigiana. Sliced aubergines topped with tomato sauce and parmesan and oven baked. I hasten to add not Heinz tomato sauce.

Talking about tourists asking for steaks to be well cooked be aware that meat is very rarely cooked to cremation, it becomes tough. After eating raw meat you appreciate the flavour although I'm getting tired of meat anyway.

Tonight chicken salad, shredded chicken breast on a bed of salad with an orange and olive oil and balsamic vinegar dressing. Peaches and apricots to follow.

Does nobody eat mayonnaise?

It contains uncooked eggs.

- - - and for uncooked meat, what about Proscuitto Crudo, Jamon Serrano, all kinds of salami and similar things.

Then there's oysters, smoked salmon, sushi and so on and so forth.

• Like 1

Commercial mayo surely is pasturised but there are also other things like lemon juice or vinegar who some say will cook the raw egg :(

Making your own is a different matter. Just make sure you know where your eggs are coming from.

Artichokes with a sauce of gorgonzola. Endives wrapped in cooked ham and oven baked with bechemel and parmesan( even cheddar) topped with a white sauce and oven baked.

Piadini ( wraps) warmed in a frying pan topped with slices of brie and smoked ham or any sort of sliced meat.

Courgette fritters. Grate courgettes and leave a couple of hours to drain ( salt them first ) when completely dry mix with bread crumbs , parmesan , mint leaves and eggs add some chopped hazlenuts or almonds previously toasted. Drop spoonfuls into lightly oil frying pan eat hot or cold either as main or side dish. These are things I've eaten recently will have to think back for more ideas. None of these dishes cost a lot and even less if you grow them yourself.

What, with customers like you throwing up, stabbing people with the cutlery and calling me a dirty scabby man? (You said it!)

No thank you very much.

• Like 1

Chips are usually available in French eating places.  If they're not on the menu, ask for them. It's only the most snooty places that refuse normally.

3 hours ago, jonab said:

What, with customers like you throwing up, stabbing people with the cutlery and calling me a dirty scabby man? (You said it!)

No thank you very much.

I think your confusing me with Radford Red. I’m much better behaved!:biggrin:

• Like 1

Phil I dont think so. Alex  cheffed for Deborah when we came back here and she opened her restaurant, he was quite happy just doing his hours and leaving the rest to them. When James opened 3 years ago he said he would help him to get on his feet " but only 1 year"   He doesn't understand the word retirement. He loves the work and although he is very tired he wont give in. He has found the work gives him a lot of satisfaction. The resaurant deals with a lot of tourists from all over the world. Usa, Hong Kong, all Europe,  you can see on trip advisor where they come from. It made his day when it was given a certificate of excellence.

Meeting all these tourists has made the work more interesting for him and keeps his command of the english language up to date.

Have a look on tripadvisor at some of the dishes he prepares now.

Wine story Castagnole Lanze Asti Italy  out of 13 restaurants here hes always been number 1. 

Alex doesnt miss Nottingham nor do I but find it nice to visit again.

• Like 1

Your Certificate of Excellence is very well deserved too Nonna,  can vouch for the excellent menu and wine list, having made the trip to see you during a cold and snowy February 2016.  I’d recommend your restaurant to everyone.  Not that far for you Jonab, just turn left off the A8 !!

• Like 1

Right Lizzie and it was apleasure to meet you both and again on my recent trip to Nottm. Thankyou for the compliment I 'll pass it on to Alex

Yes that night was really awful I never expected you to have travelled through it but we were glad to see you.

My little sister is visiting tomorrow on her 59th birthday.  for tea I plan to give her something our mother used to make when we were small. A beef stew with dumplings followed by what she called Rhubarb tart.  You may know Rhubarb tart under a different name - it is a yorkshire pudding mix with chunks of rhubarb cooked into it.

• Like 2