WHAT ABOUT JIMMY CLITHERO ON SUNDAYS AFTER TWO WAY FAMILY FAVORITES WE ONLY HAD ONE RADIO IN OUR HOUSE AND NO TELLY TILL JUST BEFORE WE MOVED FROM NETHERFIELD SO WE HAD TO LISTEN TO WHAT MUM AND DAD WANTED ON THE RADIO SO ONLY LISTENED TOO RARIO LUX OR CAROLYNE WHEN AT FRIENDS HAD MY OWN PERSONAL PORTOBLE RADIO CHRISTMAS 1965 JUST BEFOR I LEFT SCHOOL IN 1966. THEN I COULD LISTEN TO WHAT I WANTED AS LONG AS IT DID NOT DISTURB DAD WHO WORKED PERMINANT NIGHTS AND I HAD THE MONEY TO BUY MY OWN BATERIES SOMETIMES MUM WOULD BUY ME ONE WHEN SHE WENT SHOPPING AND WAS FEDUP OF SEEING ME MOPPING ABOUT AS SHE CALLED IT.

:rotfl: Mudgie, aren't I silly? Re Billy Cotton; I was forgetting he had a radio show. 'Wakey, Wakey', how could I forget that rousing opening? Makes no difference though, the radio show was as boring as the TV one! Or perhaps you were a fan? Oh my :ohmy:

Poohbear, did you breed the beautiful, pink budgies (?) in the centre of your images? :smile:

Excuse if this posting comes up twice; first one disappeared (perhaps this posting should be included in Topic: 'Coincidences'!)

How Strange! :Shock:

If I win the lottery, it would be my pleasure Babs.

also bring some of the ex pats back for a visit.

The people who have come accross I have enjoyed their company.

Just loved radio Luxembourg, 208 on the medium wave I think, listened to it every night in the mid to late sixties, even went to sleep leaving the radio on all night, wake up in the morning to the sound of "Hissing" coming from the radio, a sign of it wanting some new batteries, PP9 if I remember right, the memories come flooding back now, slow summer walks around Clifton village, three Woodbines from the village shop and a steady walk back to the top of Farnborough road, kiss my girlfriend good night and spend the rest of the night with the radio pressed against my ear, Oh happy day's

Rog

Memories of long distance driving overnight...last memory of Luxembourg was listening to 'If I had a Hammer' Trini Lopez...parked up in Bristol '63 waiting for a store to open early morning.

And of course Horace Batchelors Pools...in Keynsham...spelt "K E Y N S H A M"

Didn't they have kids shows on in the 50's??? Dan Dare pilot of the future etc??

I stopped listening to Radio Luxemburg when the pirate stations set up in the North Sea.

Wasn't Jack Jackson a DJ with Luxemburg at one time??

Wow...you just told my story...listening to Radio Luxembourg all night and waking up to flat pp3 in the morning....no re-chargeables then my friends...had to get some more from the VG store or swipe my brothers....I also listend to RNI (Radio North Sea International....Luxembourg used to fade in and out but RNI used to dissapear to the point where you thought your batteries were dead and just when you'd sneaked out of bed to nick some from something else it would come back in again...what fantastic days....I used to wire all sorts of batteries up to my solid state transistor radio...what the ell was solid state....I thought it was probably a really good place in America....lol...I know better now of course....

Oops....

Fixed!

• 1 month later...

This Thursday night (31st May) at 10.00pm on radio 2, the history of radio Luxembourg, introduced by Noel Edmunds

Rog