• 5 weeks later...

As I recall as you went through the door in the photograph the entrance to the infants school was on your left the stairs to the junior school were on your right, half way up was the headmasters office and the entrance to the dining room

I remember the infants side with the toilets across the yard and the Head mistress(Mrs bell)dying circa 1951/52 a large brass vase stood outside her office.The juniors was the two storey side and I think the headmaster was Mr Williams with Mr Spencer being the English teacher this is all circa 50/55.My mother took me to school on the first day(5) and after that I was on my own although if was only a couple of 100yds down Kirkewhite St, had to laugh about the article in the NEP which said an 8 year old had managed to leave school and go home on her own, outcry,how times change...

Off topic just this once but times have changed, trevorthegasman. RoT Infant School almost a mile from home in Cliffe Drive and I used to walk to school, back home for lunch, back to school and then home again (almost forgot Sunday School). If I was lucky, I got a drive with Anne Jepson and her Dad to school or, rode a horse home if Barbara Hall was leading a horse back from the blacksmith in the village as she lived across the road from us at the Riding school/farm. Was allowed to ride my bike to school when I was 8-9 years old and thought that was just great! Even better when we moved to the Kennels the other side of the village and it was over a mile to school.

Never seemed to have the queers around like there is nowadays. Everybody knew and looked after each other.

• Upvote 1

Re going to school, when I was reunited with my Dad over in LA in 1995, after 39 years of being apart,(another story)

he told me about my first days at school. We lived in a village pub, The Plough in Skellingthorpe Lincoln, where Dad was the landlord.

We had a dog that would go to school with me,l and lie under my desk whilst I was in class.

I can just imagine that today, mick2me, sending my kids to school with the Old English Sheepdog....lol

Trevorthegasman, it's true what you say. Eight year old kids today are so much more mature than we were at that age.

• 5 weeks later...

of topic again sorry micheal saw ray and elain tonight ask them about the graveyard story elain told me about it the angels watching over them ray saysi must know you and to say hi to you.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

i went to london road school from 1951 - 1961 then moved to clifton. my name is pauline barlow. i am 67 now does anyone else remember going there?

london roaf school is still standing but the two storey building at the side was pulled down

i believe it is some sort of factory.

• 3 years later...
  • 6 months later...