Any of you lot had minor injuries at home? allways a 'fun' topic to talk about!

Well, yesterday i had a big change around of the living room & dinning room & cleared out the spare room so the house was and still is abit upside down while i get things sorted.. Anyways, running downstairs i got to the bottom, i felt something dig into my foot but it didnt hurt but it did crunch & it felt asif something pressed right into my heal into my bone!! Thinking i weas just being silly i looked down expecting to see that i maybe stepped on something stupid... it was infact a nail! The whole thing went into the heal of my foot, that flat bit on the top of nails, well.. that was resting on my skin & you couldnt see the long bit of it at all.. I yanked it out, then the pain started! Iv never seen so much blood drain from my foot, my floor was covered in the stuff.. seriously, i think id rather give birth again that step on a nail!

.. Im still limping about today, my foot still aches & so does my ankle, i never even touched my ankle. What a numpty!

i never thought of that, it wasnt a rusty nail.. im assuming its a tac from my stair carpet thats popped out ifso, they where new when my carpet was layed but i guess you never know! iv bathed it in anti septic fluid. My other half wants me to go A&E if im still in pain to walk tomorrow becayse my ankles hurting & the fact it crunched.. he recons its hit the bone as it was right in. makes me feel funny just thinking back to it!

A puncture wound is very painful, can also be dangerous as it sort of closes and seals in any infection etc, keep an eye on it.

Once sliced off top corner of left index finger with stanley knife cutting some hardboard for a pelmet, went through the nail as well, sewn back on as hospital but "dead" however very painful if knocked etc,

( tip, if going to hospital with a cut before going in turn bandage or in my case a towel inside out, staff take one look at the blood on that side and rush you straight in with no queuing!)

don't think it was tetanus I got but once got this painful lump in my groin, family said a hernia, by time I saw a doctor also had a vein/artery swollen going down my leg, had an injury on my leg but can't remember if minor cut on knee caused by metal band on a tea chest (stolen to make skiffle type bass) or a glass cut caused when I fell in my own hole with twigs and grass over booby trap! lol was said to be blood posioning

I chopped the end of my little finger off in a door when i was about 8yrs my Mum took me and the finger end to hospital but it couldnt be sewn back on i still had the root of the nail but it wont grow straight

yes Jackson it was a trap for the Chard Street gang! I forgot where it was! yes, accident prone (see below)

Carltongal, hope you mum didn't take you to The Children's Hospital out of normal hours? mine did when I trapped finger in cement mixer cogs when I was about 12 (via 36 trolley bus) because no doctor on duty they sewed up split and removed nail without any anesthetic! grrr

The most stupid accident I had in the home, I was driving a screw with my Makita cordless driver in a tight spot between two ceiling rafters, That went perfect, then I had to remove the screw, fair enough, now the centres between rafters is 16 inches......

The switch for reversing the drill is on the back of the drill, started to reverse it, my mind wondered on to the next job and I got my thumb trapped, OUCH and a few choice nasty words and screams of pain, I was well and truely trapped, plus I couldn't get to the forward/reverse switch either, my poor thumb was aching like hell now took me ages to wiggle free, leaving one black and blue aching thumb!

When i was around 11... Walking home from a friends who lived just up the road, i missed my footing on a lowerd part of the pavement (Were it dips for a drive) & i managed to snap two little bones within my foot that way! Dont ask, i barely slipped or anything... i still have the xray 10 years later.

Two, no, three mishaps that come to mind are:

1. Someone else's home - almost. It was on the housing estate being built behind the Nell Gwynne in nineteen hundred and frozen stiff. My mate was up on the scaffold at the top of the walls and he threw off a brick to splash me with gloopy mud. Alas, I just happened to be brushing some sand off a plank when the brick hit my hand, missing the mud by a hundred miles. Luckily I was only badly bruised, although my middle finger nail had to be pierced to allow pressure to be released. I lost that nail shortly afterwards but it grew back ok.

2. I trod on a nail at my mate's place and it went up through my foot and out of the top, leaving me looking like half a Jesus nailed to the plank it was in. Took ages to heal.

3. Having an argument with my ex-wife in 1977, she picked up my fish filleting knife and thrust it at me with the intention of making me bleed from my abdomen (She had a bit of a temper and other such stabbings were not uncommon). I ducked backwards and kicked at the knife with my booted foot. As I lowered my foot I noticed vast amounts of blood all over the place. Looking down there was the knife entering my boot in front of my ankle and leaving behind my ankle. Not only had she stabbed me but it went through two layers of workboot leather too. "You very silly man" she screamed, "you've cut me". "It's not you my darling" I replied, "It's me - look" and I held up my boot complete with knife still sticking through my foot. My boot was full of blood and it was running out of the top. "No dear," she said and held out her hand. As she had stabbed me, the resistance of my boot and foot caused her hand to slide down the knife and almost severed her thumb at its base. We bandaged her hand tightly and I took her to A&E. She was a nurse and so we couldn't admit to what we'd done so she made up a story and I left her in to get her 36 stitches around her hand. Meanwhile My bleeding had been mostly stemmed because I had withdrawn the knife and tightened the boot around the wound. The next day I went to have my foot looked at but they could do nothing with it because it was an old wound. To this day, if I touch the entrance wound scar I can feel it in my toes!

3¼ Boiling water over the head hurts too.

3½ Avoid being attacked with a axes, It's ok when they miss, but they make a hell of a mess of the wall.

• 3 years later...

Does cycling to the coffee shop count ?

The other day my wife and I got on our bikes to cycle to a nearby coffee shop for our daily hit, I always lead the way as my good lady is a bit nervous anyway when on her bike.

As we plodded along a fairly busy road, I heard an almighty crash ! on turning round saw my worst nightmare, my wife has somehow lost it, and was face down on the edge of the road !

I dropped my bike and ran back as she sat up saying "I'm all right, I'm fine" well she didn't look fine as the blood poured from her chin, upper , nose and lower forehead !

Anyway to cut the story short, she has a severely grazed face, not happy jan ! a very bruised wrist and knee, and I'm sure if not for her helmet she would have had a fractured skull.

She's feeling sorry for herself but lives to ride again.

Moral of the story, wear a helmet when cycling, and be bloody careful, accidents do happen when you least expect them.

• Upvote 2

my wife and I got on our bikes to cycle to a nearby coffee shop for our daily hit

Stop drinking coffee then, I've always said it was and invader to our shores even though it was in the 1500's :yahoo:

I always remember my Mum buying that coffee essence $h¡t, Camp I think it was called. The pong used to make me yak as a kid and I still can't stand the niff of coffee even after 60 years - ugghh!!

• Upvote 1

I grew up on camp coffee, as my dad drank the stuff in his thermos at work. We can still buy a similar brew here in oz. and I can still enjoy it, but my wife thinks otherwise.

As a follow up to my wife's accident, her nasty scabs are coming off slowly, which is making her a little happier, her wrist looks a bit black and blue but luckily nothing broken.

The cut on her upper lip was stuck together with sterri strips instead of stitches, so almost as good as new now. She hopes to be back in the saddle before xmas.

• Upvote 2