What things have 'improved' in Nottingham?

As a natural development of Mudgie's 'Owt' Left' thread then. The nature of this site is nostalgia so it stands to reason that many of us will look back fondly on things no longer around us. Sometimes it's easy to imagine that nothing is better than it was? Maybe that's largely true, I won't comment apart from to say that it certainly appears that way sometimes.

Cast your mind back to Nottingham and your early memories of it from your youth and try and build a case for present day Nottingham. I'm not talking about the generic things we all have in every city nowadays but rather things, places and happenings specific to Nottingham then and now.

Poohbear came up with one on the other thread:

There are now red bins to put dog crap in...apart from that I can't think of anything.

I'll offer:

The tram system - not for me personally but I think many might say so.

A wider choice of beer!

Music venues (the choice of which was dire in the seventies, from pub venues to larger halls).

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think it is wrong to trash talk the City of Nottingham. This is the place of my birth, where I live and is the place I love. I have travelled all over the world and people in every country know of N

Thanks Kat Well that reminds me. The fine people I have met via this site

Central market a great place then not like vic centre market today

The city's two football grounds are immeasurably superior to the Meadow Lane and City Ground I first visited as a kid in the 1960s. Especially the former which had been allowed to deteriorate into a pretty dilapidated place. I suppose that's a bit general with professional football grounds though.

The (whatever they're calling it this week) Arena is a thoroughly superior stadium to the original at Lower Parliament Street (although my best memories are in the old barn).

Likewise, Trent Bridge Cricket Ground is far superior to it's sixties counterpart in my humble opinion.

I think this is an improvement, but I'm open to negotiation.......

The fact that the city centre is now largely pedestrian-only, so it's easier and safer to walk around.

Would you want to go back to fight with the traffic like this?

road-1.jpg

Negotiation you say?

Well at least their all sober adults, and thats what I say.

But it is a Daytime... perhaps drunken kids came out later?

And another thing.

Then you could drive into town, park outside a shop, walk in and buy.

Put the stuff in your boot and drive off to do the same elsewhere.

The city's two university's and their (international) reputationshave been developed greatly during my lifetime (one of course graduating from being a Polytechnic).

And another thing.

You're off-topic misery guts! :)

(and that's what I say)

And another thing.

Yes, but if you tried that today, there'd be so many other people wanting to do the same thing there would be a massive queue round the block, waiting like vultures to dive in to an empty slot. :rolleyes:

It worked back then because there weren't so many cars to begin with

The Lace Market was a very dead place in the 1970s with nothing much but a few remaining factories. I'd of course bemoan the fact that many of those businesses are no longer there for various reasons. I'm no particular lover of some of the bars and restaurants that have sprung up in the area, apart from a select few, but one has to say, even though the Lace Market is maybe struggling a little again, it is a huge improvement on a few decades ago.

THE ONE THING I CAN THINK OF IS THE CONCERT HALL AND THE AREANA BEING MUCH BIGGER MUSIC VENUES NOW SO THAT MANY PEOPLE WHO WHOULD NOT COME TO PLAY IN NOTTINGHAM NOW WOULD HAVE COME OR HAVE BEEN TO DO A CONCERT SO WE DONT HAVE TO GO TO BIRMINGHAM OR SHEFIELD TO SEE THEM.

I once bought a leather coat in Vic Center...that's it in forty odd years,and I walked through the other place once.Never cared for the atmosphere in either.

A former Wesleyan Chapel, in 1982 it became the Broadway Cinema after a couple of other apparitions and has now been extended into the Broadway Media Centre.

I'd argue that the this place a total asset to Nottingham and the envy of a few.

The city has gained a major running festival every year in the Robin Hood Marathon, Half Marathon and associated events and has grown to be one of the largest events of its type in the country over the past three decades.

The Great Nottingham Bike Ride has also become an unqualified success over a similar period.

A few years ago I visited my brother and stayed overnight. I used the tram system but it was held up for ages because of a dumped stolen van by the track! A trolleybus would have driven around it. On my brief visit I saw nothing that I could say was an improvement of "The old days" that I recall from the 50s, 60s & 70s. Oh, except that the Trent wasn't foaming.