Let's av yer recipies

yams taste nice just boiled and mashed just like potatoes or baked in the oven a bit like parsnips

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have quite a few recipes for bread without kneading. Just mix roughly leave to rise take out of bowl and fold a few times and more or less it's done. If you want recipe just ask .

So i guess we dont hold our breath for the FUDGE recipeeeeeee !sleeping!

My favorite has to be Bread Pudding even the cheap places to eat do a decent job making it.

been told slicing & frying plantain is meant to be nice like sweet crisps? i dont have a fryer so i cant try that one.. & thats how i had Yams before, Piggy, roasted in the oven, very nice!

...Will check the link out now, compo. Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Wahey! For years I have been putting up with my poor quality home-made bread but now at last I've discovered what I have been doing wrong. I have simply been raising the dough too quickly, causing larger bubbles than I should have. I have been creating a very open structure with little strength that collapses when moved even slightly.

• 5 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not dinner but a nice light after dinner treat or pudding, jellies,well Hartleys jellies made with boiling water, let the dissolve,chop up some fresh fruit,strawberries,blackberries and blueberries or any fruit you want except pineapple as I wrote about in another thread,pour over jelly mixture,allow to set in fridge and there you go,add a bit of fresh cream or ice cream or squirty cream whatever you fancy,dead easy, cheap and quick

P1060191.jpg

with a bit of luck these will last Mrs P for a few days but I doubt it

Rog

• 7 months later...
On 9 April 2012 at 11:33 PM, Compo said:

an occasional lobster used to come my way too.

Not sure I could eat a lobster? When I see them alive in them tanks waiting to be boiled alive, it destroys me! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Fed up of meat in general. I find it more refreshing to eat vegetables and fruit. I'm not vegetarian but theres so much more you can eat. Theres a lovely display of veg in supermarkets and with a bit of imagination you can cook up a lovely meal. The other night desparate with little in the fridge I sauted some sliced potatoes and courgettes beat up a couple of eggs and made an omelette then just before it set I added a couple of spoons of grated parmesan. I ate half and the next day ate the other half. It was even better cold. 

I started to do practically the same thing with potatoes and peppers then realised I was out of eggs so just cooked those as it was , that too was good. I buy potatoes ( although they are not as nice as english ones) then perhaps use a couple then I forget about them and they sprout.

Am now in a situation since mum has been in care, as my shopping was geared towards her as she wouldnt eat much and nothing seemed to tempt her. Now I have tins and tins of baked beans , tomato soup, rice pudding ( I like it), I even bought that horrible stuff Fray Bentos pies., fish fingers, chips and dont know what else. Now slowly slowly I have to wade through all this food. I'm only shopping for the neccessary things until I can clear my shelves:wacko:

I eat on my own both lunch and dinner so I can really please myself . My husband is working lunch and dinner , just once a week hes got a day off. My daughter who lives opposite is off 2 days so we eat together she also works lunch and dinner.

Having chefs in the family is nice ( when they cook) but when you eat alone it can get boring. Before you ask why dont I go to eat at their restaurants, they both get very busy and I dont want to take a table away from a paying customer.

Oh I forgot mum likes semolina pudding with jam. As I have loads of homemade jam I made a pan full placed it in small containers and froze it.

5 hours ago, radfordred said:

Same thing init? How do you feel about being chucked in boiling water? :Shock: Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrhhhh 

Most chefs put live shellfish into cold fresh water, and bring it to the boil. As the water warms, the shellfish become drowsy and lose consciousness well before the water is hot enough to cook them.

I've not long returned from a little jaunt through France, Belgium and Holland. What an eye opener! The Dutch seem very health concious and the cafes and restaurants really seem to focus on what we would term 'healthy options', even Burger King. Fat people are noticable by their absence. There are fast food outlets but very few compared to here and mainly pizza places.

• Like 1

From your description, Brew, Holland seems to be very different from what I remember in 74 - 78 when I was a regular visitor to Vlaardingen/Amsterdam. The Dutch seemed to exist on potatoes (in very large portions) and apple pie. Even so, the Dutch weren't fat so it must be that the components of the modern diet are of more importance in obesity than just the quantity eaten. The Dutch do eat a lot of fish. One food particularly enjoyed in Holland were maatjes - raw pickled herrings (a bit like rollmops in the UK) and I did master the technique of eating them properly (hold the fish by the tail, head back and slide the fish into the mouth - quite difficult not to get the pickling liquor all over your face).

Regarding France, the commercial pink-slime burger is accelerating its spread like a cancer through the country. Even the tiny commune where I live (less than 3,000 inhabitants and almost no shops) has had to fight off the advances made by US conglomerates to open hell-hole burger bars.

Not really dinner ideas but for a dessert yes. Just made some Blondies. Rich and gooey.

Got some batter ready for some pikelets tomorrow morning for a change. 

What is it?  Could we eat it?  I was intrigued enough yesterday to take these pics on the local beach.  The seagull was certainly enjoying it 

B7_ED847_A-_F0_A3-4_C3_D-_B442-48_C6_F701_E184979-1320-4_E3_E-8_E23-331_F88_EFC9

It looks like the legless she'll of a spider crab. Eatable ? Not sure of that. They are a bit small for human consumption.

It's the remains of the carapace of a Spider Crab, Lizze - edible and good.  They grow to about two feet across (including legs) if allowed to mature.

• Upvote 1

I was born in Barrow in Furness so spent my first few years learning how to appreciate seafood. My grandfather used to go crabbing, winkling and treading for cockles. The crabs he would put into a sack and when he brought them back home he would tip them all out on the kitchen floor. Mum said they then had to run around catching them.

My trips with Nana would never end in giving me sweets it was always shrimps and to this day I love them but have now progressed to king prawns.

Oh what I would give to go back to those days on Walney beach looking in rock pools and watching for the tide to surprise us. My grandad knew all the times and tricks of the tide. So many lovely memories. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

OK, my dinner last night was steak tartare Niçoise style - that is finely chopped (not minced or otherwise machine processed, it must be chopped by hand to get the right texture) good quality steak (filet, preferably) formed into a patty placed on a bed of salad leaves. A small depression is made on the steak patty, the egg is broken in half and the half-shell (with contents) placed on the steak. The dish is served with finely chopped shallots, cornichons (tiny gherkins), anchovies and (preferably) Niçoise olives.

The idea is to mix your own combination of steak, egg, shallot, cornichon etc. to suit yourself. I like a few drops of Worcestershire sauce with it as well.

Goes down nicely with some fresh bread and a glass or three of the local red.

A good cheese to follow.

Superb!

If you order this in a restaurant, be aware of what it is. Please don't do what I've seen tourists here do and that is to send their meal back and ask for the steak to be well done and the egg to be hard boiled. Anyone with a palate like that would be better served by McDonald's.

• Like 1