Let's av yer recipies

I wanted to bring a Bramly here but I was told the temperature was too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter. I thought trees would adapt to the climates. We do have a cooking apple here  but its not got the same taste or texture when cooked. Shame , cant beat the Bramley. When talking about apples in general I tend to boast about the glorious Bramley applesmile2

• Like 2
  • Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have quite a few recipes for bread without kneading. Just mix roughly leave to rise take out of bowl and fold a few times and more or less it's done. If you want recipe just ask .

We have two Bramley trees in our orchard and they are both going to yield a prolific crop this year. One of them is a clone of the original Bramley tree, still living - just, at Bramley Tree Cottage on Easthorpe in nearby Southwell. The cottage, complete with tree, has been purchased recently by Nottingham Trent University and they are trying hard to keep the tree alive but it does have a fungal disease. The cloning was done by the University of Nottingham around 30 years ago and our tree was bought from the nursery run by the great, great grandson of Henry Merryweather who first chanced upon the tree in the cottage garden and took grafts. I look forward to the apple pies this autumn!

• Like 3

With some trepidation, I offer a "traditional" Salade Niçoise and hope it doesn't cause the outrage that my previous attempt did.

There is nothing fixed in this salad but there are some components count as being characteristic - fish, green beans, medium boiled eggs and olives - you can leave any of these out if you wish.

450g/1lb fresh tuna or 4 x 175g/6oz tuna steaks, 2.5cm/1in thick, cooked to your liking or two tins of tuna steak

100 -150 g boiled new potatoes cooled and cut into pieces

4 plum tomatoes (San Marzano?)

125g fine French beans, trimmed and boiled until tender. Blanch in cold water to maintain a fresh colour

Lettuce to suit

One red onion, finely sliced

4 eggs boiled (have the eggs at room temperature and boil for six minutes - this should ensure they are just past being soft-boiled) Peel and quarter lengthwise.

A few anchovy fillets cut into thin strips (if liked)

A few black olives (if liked) Niçoise olives are the best for this but they are difficult to obtain in most places

Ripped basil leaves

A dressing of olive oil, red wine vinegar salt and pepper and chopped garlic (optional).

Lay the lettuce leaves on a plate, add the other ingredients on top, finishing with the tuna. Drizzle the dressing on.

Good with a glass or three and fresh crusty bread

• Like 3

Almost exactly tonight's dinner except we're trying it with pink salmon rather than tuna for a change. Minus the eggs of course! We always add anchovies. Basically a Nicoise is a bit like Paella or Irish Stew - you can just chuck in what's available at the time. Bon appetite!

• Like 1

I love salad nicoise and I add shavings of parmesan too.

Tonight I cooked 3 fillet of gallinella ( think its called Gurnard) in a rich fresh tomato and anchovy sauce and served simply with potatoes which are neither fried nor boiled. A drizzle of oil in a frying pan add sliced potatoes and cook until just taking on colour. Quickly add a glass of water, put the lid on and cook until tender being careful not to let them go dry.

Fish, did sauce first by sauteing a garlic clove along with 3 anchovy fillets and chopped pomodorini ( cherry tomatoes) a squeeze of tomato puree , splash of white wine and then placed the fillets in to finish cooking as long as it takes.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Heres something if you have a glut of courgettes or too much fish in freezer. The other week I got some fish out of the freezer and as it was hot at the end I didnt fancy eating. So not to waste them the next day I marinated them. Flour and fry fish and put aside. Wipe pan out so theres just a veil of oil left, if not add just a little. Fry a garlic clove and a sliced onion leaving still slightly crunchy. Add some rosmary or sage and add half glass of white wine vinegar and half glass of dry white wine . Add a tbsp of sugar and bring to boil for a couple of minutes then pour over your fish that youve put into a container fully covering it and leave to cool. Place in fridge and leave a couple of days to marinate. You can also do the same thing with a couple of fried eggs or courgettes or even thin slices of meat.The fish and eggs go firm but they are very tasty. This will keep very well in fridge and can be eaten on its own like I did today with crusty bread or add as a condiment. The marinade is delicious dipped with bread. Its sweet and sour. By the way if marinade isnt enough you can add a little water, not too much though.

Sliced the courgettes along the length or chop into chunks however you like them. 

This dish is called Zucchine in Carpione 

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

As a total food Philistine I'm quite happy my usual fare of lamb/pork chops, tinned potatoes, tinned marrowfats and either a nob of Lurpak or gravy.  All done in about twenty minutes and less than that to eat it.

You want a pudding sir? certainly. Two Mr Kipling apples pies and two little tubs of custard in the microwave and 90 seconds later voila! 

For a treat at weekends it has to be a full English - minus the black pudding.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Low carb diet got to me earlier after a swim.  Came home and was biting the arm of my chair till I gave in and scoffed a pack of those instant noodles.

It will be 'Back on yer 'eads'   tomorrow though.

• 5 months later...

IMG-3219.jpg

Taken at the market in Asti many years ago. Lots of dinners with those

• Like 2

IMG-3230.jpggas station by me

Lunch today. 1 courgette , 4 cherry tomatoes , 70 gr pasta.

Add a little garlic if you like it and parmesan.

Tasty and doesn't cost a lot

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

IMG-3071.jpg

My grand daughter helping to make ravioli. Filling was pumpkin and amaretti.

• Like 1