Nice - I remember in the early 50s my mam and dad taking me to pick bluebells in the (private) grounds of Beauvale Priory near Moorgreen reservoir! Later in the year we would go out to Kimberley with a couple of wicker shopping baskets (remember them?) to pick blackberries - there were some gigantic bushes up near Swingate. Then it was possible to ramble across the fields to Strelley village - long before the M1 was built.

• 3 years later...
  • 4 years later...

Whilst visiting the WW1 memorial on the embankment this morning, I spotted amongst the varied bird population, a pigeon with a brown head and chest, with black wings and tail. It turned out to be a Copper Blackwing Angel Pigeon. Beautiful, and definitely not feral. However, it was chasing after all the other pigeons, so we might see some hybrids soon !

You want some wildlife?

The paper repoted an Alligator swimming in a lake North of here.  Today somebody reported a Bear swimming in a lake near Atlanta.

I'm wondering if the Bear was chasing Alligators or if they were chasing him!

• 2 weeks later...

Tomorrow is our last day in this beautifully converted barn here in N. Ireland. I am so going to miss this view out back. I have enjoyed spotting birds in the garden, and have seen swallows, wrens, robins, blackbirds, crows, jackdaws, hooded crows, pied wagtails, sparrows and magpies. We get some pretty birds in Phoenix,  but have really enjoyed seeing these locals. Also our landlords who live opposite, have ducks, chickens and peacocks. Have enjoyed feeding them our food waste. All good things must come to an end though.

• Like 5

Kath they are the joys of country living . Glad you've enjoyed it. It's always a shame to have to return to reality but safe journey home.

Every day around 4.45 we have the swifts swooping down for water. ( salt water from pool but they don't care it's wet!) it's spectacular to watch. They all collect up in a group and one by one they take it in turns and it's like a well timed gymnastic performance. We stand back to watch but often one comes a bit too close and we have to duck.

• Like 3

Hi gang.  Katyjay has asked me to post this image for her so here goes........... Sorry I don't have a location but I'm sure she will add it soon.

1080_9c183754-9cf8-4a2d-9c0f-9c2625a4b8c

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

This was our view from the sunroom of the cottage we rented in N. Ireland for the last 12 days. I had mentioned it in a post above when watching the local birds. Thanks Paul for posting it for me. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Could also be near us but instead of rolling hills we have rolling vineyards with a back drop of  Monviso..Beautiful and peaceful Kath, how I like it

Very peaceful except for speeders. The hamlet's posted speed limit was 40mph. I doubt very much one single vehicle ever did that. More like 60+. 

• 1 year later...

These photographs were taken by my father more than 50 yrs ago. The birds came back every year to his garage and always nested there. He would go out to see them every day and they didn't move so I believe they became quite tame.